Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

It seems for the rebuild, Klopp’s first choice midfield was ‘MacAllister - Lavia - Mount’ and we end up with ‘MacAllister - Caceido - Szobo’. While I still think we’d have been much better with Mount, Caceido instead of Lavia is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

This is the way the club has been run under FSG since day one. It's the way football clubs *should* be run. Maybe that's idealistic, but we've had a long time to get used to it, and it's not like the club hasn't been competitive in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Haha. I'm not angry, just have a healthy cynicism about the motive of the owners. I want money spent - that's the point. I'd be delighted with both Lavia and Caicedo. The club is wealthy, can afford top players, and should be buying them.

Don't come crying when your beloved FSG sells to the highest bidder. The love for these vulture capitalists never ceases to amaze me. Everything they've done has been to increase the value of their investment. Benefits to the fans or on-pitch success are a side-effect.

Also, if you're tired, stick me on ignore. I don't want to upset anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Jesus Christ what happened overnight?! I did not see that coming at all tbh, I thought it was all games yesterday with different clubs sending out different briefings.

Madness. The fee is just ridiculous, didn't think we would see something like that happeneing. This is the lay of the land now, especially with the money City throw around and what Chelsea have done themselves in the last 12-18 months. I said at the time that Enzo would be the new barometer and that is it now. Rice, Jude etc all moving for that price bracket now. The recruitment team must think that Caicedo is an outlier and worth it. I always did think that the club would make 'special' money available for someone like Tchouameni should a player of that ilk become available, and likewise they had a valuation set on Lavia and were hesitant on that in case a 'special' player became available. They obviously think that Caicedo falls into that category so took advantage of the situation with Chelsea's hesitancy.

I'm posted a few times on my doubts about his character. That doesn't change. A curveball here but what if Caicedo was actually secretly in talks with Liverpool all the time and was stringing Chelsea along the last few weeks. All the public talk was about how much he wanted Chelsea. Doubtful, but possible.

I wasn't entirely convinced on his quality but I could easily be wrong there. Happy to be proved wrong if he does sign for Liverpool and be a star. But, the fact he has played with MacAllister before is a massive bonus, and also that he filled in at RB last season a bit. He could dovetail with Trent, MacAllister & Szoboszlai very nicely indeed. He seems to operate in those sort of spaces and let the other lads flourish. So in that sense, he is the ideal candidate.

Moan about not having ambition, and then moan the money isn't coming from the owners pockets when we do splash the cash. (fantasy stuff btw).

Red flags there straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hear me out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Has this actually happened or just rumour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

And spent way more on who they actually got.

Mount 55m Lavia 50m

Vs

Szobos 70 caicedo 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

FSG are the ultimate mind f*ck. Just when you think their time is up they pull a move like this. I'd love to know who is sanctioning these moves. They seem very reactionary, they sense any bit of dissent coming their way from fans and the cave in! A bit cowardly in a way, we have this before with the Covid furlough and the Super League.

Dont get me wrong, I'm delighted! The team needs this investment and Caicedo and Szobo are an upgrade on Mount & Lavia. I just wish they would use a bit more foresight rather than causing all this frustration in the first place but at least they are doing something about it.

I am scratching my head though on where Bellingham fits into all this. Seemingly he was out of our price range a couple of months ago and now we end up spending more on Caicedo!! I know Caicedo is probably on a lot less wages which does need to be factored in also but again a lack of planning and foresight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If this comes off fair play to FSG.

Personally I think they've been ideal for Liverpool.

Too many morons on Twitter have no understanding of the business side of football but know plenty about Football Manager 2023. The FSGout posse will just find something else to whinge about.

I'm going to assume the Lavia purchase is dead in the water if this comes off?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Also a genuine question from someone who in recent years has watched very little premier league football aside from Liverpool games,

Is Caicedo a better player than Declan Rice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

In fairness, if we’d bought Bellingham, would any of the other transfers happened? I don’t think they would, and so we’d be still a slim squad. I think this has worked out better, at least I’m hoping so!! Roll on Sunday, let’s get this show on the road! 💪💪

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Guardian reporting that too - club look to be in a hurry to get the medical done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Based on what Bellingham himself has said, he let all interested parties know early on that Real Madrid were always his No.1 choice. We probably monitored how things were progressing, but it was definitely RM's game in whether they went for him or not. Plus, the overall wage package. It's likely insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sell thiago and Philips,get lavia too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The move is clearly sanctioned by Klopp, the CEO and FSG.

The maxim a "week is a long time in politics" can be applied to football here, as when they backed out of the Bellingham deal they still had Henderson and Fabinho in their plans.

Also we don't know what personal terms Bellingham wanted but I'd guess more than Caiceido so €100k a week difference €26m over a 5 year contract and I'm being conservative with that estimate of difference.

It's a great signing, he dominated Liverpool when they played there at the AMEX last season and it's a big statement by the club.

Also, the child in me loves getting one over on Chelsea, and would love to see him come on a sub and score last minute winning penalty on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Can't belief this one until i see him leaning. Still a 50/50 in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Will we get a defender too I wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There's a lot of "what about Jude", "Rice cost less" stuff around.

We overpaid. It's the start of new season today and we're woefully short; a direct rival wanted the guy and we outbid them, even exceeding the asking price. So yes, we overpaid. But the main thing is, he's a player that will make a huge difference and will be an incredible signing. And it's not our money. So just be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

The Bellingham move, especially once he signaled he wanted to go to Madrid, was never a runner. I'd guess Caicedo will fit into the wage structure better. 110 million is stone balls crazy, but thanks to our Arabian friends in particular the whole market is nuts, so if you want to compete.... If you can't beat them join them and all that.

I just hope he comes with the right attitude - recent reports have suggested he was angling very much for the Chelsea move, reports of not training and signaling he wasn't coming back etc. Hope he actually wants this move and settles in, but the signs aren't great with the noises coming from around Brighton.

However, a nice surprise to wake up to, almost (but not quite) as nice as seeing Virgil under the Xmas tree!

I said little about FSG and the club all summer, always said I'd wait I til the window was closed, and it looks like they have stood up when required. I think Henderson and Fabinho taking the Saudi Soup threw them off kilter, and they were perhaps a little slow to react, but if as it looks they've got this done then fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

This is beautiful, and getting him under chelsea's nose is just the cherry on top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

This is brilliant. Finally we have an understudy and backup to Curtis Jones in the No 6 role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That's interesting and honest from Klopp. There's still a job to do in getting the player onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tbh I think FSG just sanction a budget, and the committee/Klopp then decided on what. I doubt John Henry knows what a "number 6" or who half the squad even are, nor does he give a fcuk id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

104 posts since I checked yesterday. I thought someone screwed up but that's good news to read. I assume the Lavia deal is dead ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If this falls apart I don't think I will ever mentally recover. You can say we are overpaying, but when you look at our total spend on the three midfield positions minus transfers fees for Fabiniho and Henderson and wages of Ox and Keita - it's really good business.

• Advertisement

Not yet.

Caicedo isn't done. If that falls through, the Lavia deal will probably be back on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Klopp confirmed signing in this morning's press conference. Its happening lads. Incredible signing. One we all thought was out of reach.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The danger with that being Southampton wanting another 5/10 mill for Lavia (which I'm hoping they'll do to Chelsea if I'm honest 😂😂)

Reading between the lines, I'd hazard a guess he wants to go to Chelsea as first preference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Certainly my worry.

Some reaction from us quibbling over 2m for Lavia and then offering 111m for Caicedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Definitely won't count my chickens until all officially confirmed. Todd strikes me as small man syndrome, he will get involved in a pissing contest and offer more money in order "to not look weak".

Tony Bloom seems to be a bit more of a straight shooter, that if he gives his word and has agreed on something then he won't go back on it.

All total speculation of course. If the move all falls apart rival fans will justifiably be having a field day. Just praying we see it all official ASAP so then we can relax.

If Chelsea bid again, I'd imagine he'll go there.

Then it's Lavia.

Maybe it's all a ploy to dig Chelsea into a bigger FFP hole 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I imagine Lavia's asking price went up considerably overnight given the 2 clubs in question have now shouted from the rooftops about how much they're willing to spend on a DM.

To be fair I think Southampton just want the 40m they’d get next year if City buy him back with City having a 20% sell on clause.

If the Caceido deal doesn’t get over the line then I would hope the club just bite the bullet and offer the 50. If Southampton increase it again, just walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But haven't a few places reported that he's doing a medical today? If that's the case you would assume personal terms are pretty much agreed. Unless the medical stuff was inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great signing if it goes through. The fee is astronomical, can't believe we're paying that tbh, the transfer market is gone stone mad! This signing makes a huge difference to our season and as he's played with Mac Allister before they should settle in much faster. It's just a pity this rebuild wasn't started last summer, might not necessarily has got the same players in but, we'd have most likely avoided last season's shitshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow, saw it pop up on my phone earlier 110m. I wanted him badly and could care less about the fee, we got 52m for Hendo and Fab and have brought in 2 other excellent midfielders. Midfield rebuild done! If we could just get a defender now, we'd have a seriously complete squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

The other thing is maybe Chelsea simply can't structure the deal to Tony Bloom's liking. Maybe we can pay the money quickly which is what he wants and so he will never accept what Chelsea offer if it is split over multiple years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Chelsea back in with higher bid according to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm posted a few times on my doubts about his character. That doesn't change. A curveball here but what if Caicedo was actually secretly in talks with Liverpool all the time and was stringing Chelsea along the last few weeks. All the public talk was about how much he wanted Chelsea. Doubtful, but possible.

I'd give him a pass on his supposed negative behaviour given the circumstances.

Brighton priced him out of a transfer in August 2022, Liverpool offered £42M when Brighton wanted £50M, afterwards they announced a £60M valuation. In January 2023, they raised the asking price again and priced him out of a move to Arsenal. They turned down an offer of £80M before the transfer deadline. It was known before the end of last season that there were agreements in place that both Caicedo and Mac Allister could leave the club in the summer transfer window. Liverpool secured Mac Allister when the transfer window opened and Brighton repeated their trick of declaring a valuation for Caicedo before raising it when an offer was received. This was the third successive transfer window where the player was jerked around when there was an opportunity for him to join one of the top clubs in the league. He clearly wanted to get out of Brighton and whether the destination was Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool I doubt he really cared.

Brighton wanted an auction for their player and in the end they got what they wanted, they played a blinder with the transfer but they didn't seem to have any consideration for the player's well being in the process.

Liverpool signing Mac Allister and Caicedo for a combined £150M isn't a bad piece of business but I don't think it would have been possible earlier in the transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Its been reported that Chelsea are going to counter our offer. This is far from over the line unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

He's a good player, but guys do you really want a fella like this at your club?

second thoughts about joining a club with the prestige of Liverpool is absolutely batshit insane

No surprise at all unfortunately.

Was hoping that personal terms would be straightforward and he’d be on his way for a medical, but Chelsea chuck money around at a ridiculous rate so this feels expected.

Romano has nothing about second Chelsea offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
Advertisement