Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Nope, not any more, it was maybe in 90's ands early 2000's. Loads of tourists going down nowadays, and Albania is investing in tourism rapidly due to very high prices in Croatia, Montenegro and Greece. I'd say Greece is much more dangerous these days than Albania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

No one cares about vast differences between economies. You don't get to charge exhorbitant prices on the basis that a Latte or McDonalds or taxation rates are higher in Ireland. Germany is the third most exporting country in the world and there's no way you'd see in Germany what some hotels or businesses charge in Ireland.

Besides the median wage in Ireland if €640 per week. Half the country earn less than that and for €640 per week you'd barely get two nights in Cork with breakfast included in some places.

The Irish are just nuts, they're mad. They'd rob the eyeballs out of your head if they weren't screwed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

A quick comparison of Munich and Dublin for the same dates show the hotel prices are not that different. Yes you would see all over Germany the prices you see in hotels that you see in Ireland.

Hotels.com/4 star/2 adults/1 room/20-22nd Sept, arrange by lowest price(first 3)

Dublin 236, 286, 317 lowest price

Munich 253, 272, 292 lowest price

Anything to back up the "half the country" statement? would be interested to see that data. The only information I found was 2016 and it was certainly not half the country then but post covid who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A quick Google of "Ireland median wage"

According to the latest data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) in Ireland, the median weekly wages in 2021 were €644.55, representing a 2.4% increase from €629.46 in 2020. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I paid 65k punt back in 1997 for a 75 sq mtr 2 bed terraced townhouse in Killarney. I was paying about 10% interest, the average wage in Killarney was probably 13k. That was basic and needed new everything., no furniture included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Links, please.

You've been caught with your jocks around your ankles doing this before. I'd wager money that you're talking out of your hoop again and those hotels aren't comparable.

"You've been caught with your jocks around your ankles doing this before"

You couldn't use a calendar so got the wrong dates, then used a different website than the one I provided. So who was caught again? 😂

Sorry but if you are incapable of doing the same search with the information I provided then sorry I can do nothing for you

If you can come up with a different comparison bang away, I have asked you many times yet you have failed to provide anything. That would suggest you don't like the answer so you resort to comments like above.

Thanks, but it mentions nothing on that article to say 50% of the country are below the median wage. Or maybe I am reading it wrong

1. You started by claiming that others were cherrypicking data to tell a story.....then proceeded to cherrypick your data to try tell the opposite story
    2. You said you looked at hotels in Munich "next week" then used pricing from next month
    3. You compared high end City centre hotels in Munich with a 2-star dump above a nightclub and 2 more that aren't even in Dublin. One is 40+ kilometres away.
    4. You are still trying to claim that Ireland's hospitality sector is not only comparable with Germany's, but that it's better value in some instances, which is laughable and demonstrably untrue
    5. I could run my own searches, sure. But what's the bets you come out and say "that's not the one that showed up on my search". Show us what you are looking at and we'll compare.
    6. Not once have you provided a link to ANYTHING in all of this. Screenshots aren't links. If you can run those searches again and copy/paste the link here, everyone can look at what you're claiming to see if it's true. I bet you the hotels you're comparing aren't even remotely similar, like you're claiming

That's how easy it is. Of course, you don't have to do anything that's asked of you. You can hide behind smarmy weasel words; try to claim the high-ground after I was confused by you shifting the goalpoasts from "next week" to "actually, I meant the middle of September" all you want. But just so you know, everyone else in this thread can see through your BS. And if you don't put up these links so others can check your homework, we'll all see how much of a fraud you are. Including yourself. But you already know that, don't you?

Snared rapid, jocks around your ankles, misrepresenting the truth in a feeble attempt to make the hotels in Dublin look like good value for money. I suppose they are, if you don't mind being awake til after 3.30am or having to bus it in from Naaaavan.

This is your opportunity to regain some dignity and respect. Will you do it to prove the haters wrong? Or will you hide behind "I'm not here to do your searching for you anyone can blah blah blah ...."

My money's on the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The median wage is, by definition, 50% of people earn less and 50% of people earn more than it.

Thats what a median is.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

What? Dublin makes up 30% of the countries population. Plus there are a lot more than 5 million people on this island.

Still waiting on that alternative comparison.

Images of the search's confused you.

Step by step instructions you couldn't follow

Just more ranting posts making personal comments.

Circa 25% at last count. So 1 in 4 people live in Dublin. 5.033m population and 1.27m in Dublin.

What alternative comparison?

What step by step instructions?

What are you talking about?

Why won't you share your searches for the hotels you claimed were the same:

Is iut because you're talking out of your hoop?

Sorry but I cant help you. Best of luck on your travels.

Called it. I knew you'd default to this weasel-words bolloxology and try to squirm your way out of putting up or shutting up.

A quick question before you go......

Is this your "step by step" instructions? I see you've edited it now*** to remove your dates and pricing so here's the full text for everyone else to see:

A quick comparison of Munich and Dublin for the same dates show the hotel prices are not that different. Yes you would see all over Germany the prices you see in hotels that you see in Ireland.

Hotels.com/4 star/2 adults/1 room/20-22nd Sept, arrange by lowest price(first 3)

Anything to back up the "half the country" statement? would be interested to see that data. The only information I found was 2016 and it was certainly not half the country then but post covid who knows.

Really? You picked dates that are smack bang right in the middle of Oktoberfest, literally the busiest time of the year in Munich when the place holds a two week long party, and your prices are STILL cheaper than Dublin for all three of them. Still cheaper. Now you're trying to save face by deleting it.

You've been found out, again, Mr fraud. I called that as well.

***apologies, the middle part with the pricing isn't showing up in the quote of your previous post. It looked like you had removed that yourself for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,134 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's something very wrong when I can get 7 nights B&B in Spain plus the return flights for the cost of 2 nights in Dublin without breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

I see the company behind the Fitzwilliam Hotel and Mespil Hotel made net after tax profits of 3.4million on a turnover of 15.6m.

That's an eye watering 21% net profits after every possible cost and corporation tax is deducted. 8-10% net profits is seen as good in the hotel industry.

That example alone should ensure the vat is returned to 13.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Something very right about Spain too.

I got return flights to Tuscany, a car for a week and 7 night accomodation in Lucca, Chianti, Florence and Bologna for the same price as a mate got 3 nights in a hotel - a nice hotel granted - in west Cork in 2021.

He did get breakfast though. But it rained.

Cant blame the hotels if people are paying it.

• Advertisement

About 20m in loans in 2021

Also two of the hotels with the best location for exec flying in & out of Dublin for MNC's. Don't think we should base the conversation of VAT on those two hotels. That's like taking two people earning 1 mil per year and say that everyone should pay more tax because they can afford it

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/covid-crisis-sees-14m-wiped-from-fitzwilliam-hotel-valuation/41086494.html

Can you show me the hotel for 7 night B&B in Spain? as I said already im looking for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think the point of the conversation is probably skewed. For me I don't mind paying good money when I'm getting the value I feel it's worth. I don't think a house 6km for Dingle is worth 2-3k for 7 nights. However I do think a Villa in the Canaries is worth 2-3k for 7 nights. I realise that's expensive by the Canaries standards though. More like 1500-2k.

25 quid for a chicken curry and pint i think is excessive. I would happily pay that for a stake and a pint though.

Ireland just isn't value for money that's the point. If a Hotel is 4stars and charging 500 for 3 nights with Breakfest and a dinner then that's fair enough I'd say. However it seems to be more 3stars places charging 500 quid without any food. That's rip off.

I know the weather isn't anyones fault but it's a big part of why people go on a break. You can't get that in Ireland. So going down for 2 nights. Spending 500 quid on accommodation, getting pissed on. getting screwed for the price of a beer, getting screwed on taxis, having to search high and low for a breakfast when you realise you didn't book it. That seems to be the summary of this thread so far. There are very few positives about breaking away in Ireland.

Hopefully domestic tourism is down for these places this year and they will be forced to try and be more competitive. With air travel being so cheap these days and the chance of being by a pool in 4 hours basking in nice weather and not getting fleeced a realistic thought for people surely our domestic tourism sector need to try an compete more.

Some of the stories on here of costs in Ireland are laughable. I'd say the yanks are been taken for a ride when they get in. |Group bookings being increased. Menus rewritten to gouge as much as they can from them.

Fuckers.

It was the Petite Vegas Hotel in Seville. They had deals on and I booked it well before the date we were travelling. You have to look for 'offers' and they have other hotels in Spain too. We went in August '22. It was very hot, 40 degrees, but we really enjoyed it. We booked in January. There are great deals to be got id you search early.

Sorry the correct name of it is the Petite Palace Vargas, Seville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

You can be fairly sure the book value has increased since COVID.

Mespil is a mid range 4 star hotel.

Dalata recorded record profits too.

I fully acknowledge costs are higher here and I myself enjoy good wages, but hotel prices here are simply ridiculous.

I'm in Washington DC in September and 4 nights in the Henley Inn (4 star) cost just over €760 including breakfast and all taxes

Try finding a Dublin city 4 star hotel for the same price in September.

Bray and Navan are lovely in September, i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

This is only my 2nd post in this thread and I find your posts very tiresome.

An all inclusive holiday in Spain is great all you can eat and drink and a place to sleep for less than 100 euros per day per person it's a no brainer.

When I was young myself and my family could not afford holidays abroad.

These days to afford a holiday we have to go abroad.

Ireland is an overpriced nightmare and Irish hospitality is a contradiction in terms.

You know you are being robbed when you see a Gourmet Burger on the menu.

Burgers are fast food.

The thing is you can find a 4 star in Dublin for less than that. It of course depends on dates etc but you will get a 4 star.

My point still hasn't changed, yes irish hotel can be a little more expensive but then again we have a high minimum wage. But once you start to compare similar hotels overseas you will find a lot of the time the supposed price difference is not their. Especially when you start putting together flights etc

If you want to holiday overseas, great. Im not telling anyone or suggesting they shouldn't. But the supposed great value overseas doesn't stand up when you actually dig into it. As I said I spent the last month looking for next year and if I could get a hotel for 7 days for cheao I would be overjoyed. Simple fact is any hotel I am booking in Spain/Portugal is 2k+ for 7 days.

• Advertisement

Thanks and Seville is lovely. Like everything you need to hope for offers but just to price now is €666 🙄(all the 6's) for a standard Double room for 7 days. For a Queen room its 892 and I would need two of them so Im at 1700 quid for 7 days. Thats for June next year flying mid week etc.

Now they don't do family rooms so it's going to look expensive but you see how it doesn't take long for the prices to add up.

Advertisement