Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double yellow lines for taxi pick-up

Options
  • 11-08-2023 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I am a taxi driver. Yesterday, customer stopped me to pick them up in a double lane, why I stopped using the warning light on the leftside to pick-up my custmer, the gardai flash the blue light. I came down, showed the garda of my warning light and asked my customer to enter my taxi. The garda called me to the back of my car and said, I parked on double yellow line that, he is issueing me 2 points for so doing. My question now is that, is it not allow to pick or load on double yellow line?

Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

No it is not, because it's the rules of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7 asaptaxi

Do you mind address the section of the road traffic code, that say, you are not allow to pick or load on yellow double lines. I did not say park on double yellow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Double yellow lines mean you can’t park at anytime. So unless the person jumped into while you were still moving you would have parked the car. I know a lot of taxi drivers think they are exempt from the rules of the road but they’re not

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It might be helpful to you to read this a few times before you get in the car again...

You clearly have no idea what this topic is about. This is not about parking, it is about loading and dropping off in double yellow lines. Pls only reply, when you understand a topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Much and all as I despise the lack of regard for legislation and other road users exhibited by many taxi drivers, it's worth noting that

• RRM 008 (double yellow lines) marking is stated as indicating "that parking of vehicles is prohibited at any time on that side of the roadway", whereas
    • the similarly intended RRM 010 indicates "a school entrance at which part of the roadway, the stopping or parking of a vehicle is prohibited".

Given that the latter expressly prohibits both parking and stopping, while the former only refers to parking, it's not unreasonable to conclude that stopping a vehicle on double yellows briefly is distinct from parking on them, and not necessarily prohibited, provided it was safe to do so and not causing an obstruction or hazard.

Thank you tphase, the truth is that, The gardai got angry because, i showed him that my warning light was on and as a result, my customer location is where I am oblige to pick them up. Again, there was extra lane for the gardai to drive through. I think, it is about power in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

Did you load and drop off whilst moving? If not, it’s parking and illegal.

Thank you. Cython. I very much agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It depends on why the double yellow line was there.

There's a whole list of places where you cannot stop or park — adjacent to junctions and pedestrian crossings, in a bus lane, at a vehicle entrance, at a place where the footpath kerb as been lowered, etc — and many of these are often marked with double yellow lines.

(For the nitpickers — you can stop at these places if you are unable to proceed because of an obstruction or because the way is not clear or because a traffic signal requires it (e.g. in a traffic jam, or at a red light). But you can't stop by choice.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The road traffic acts specify loading as covering goods or refueling a vehicle. You were doing neither, so you were parked and therefore illegally parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

"I came down, showed the garda of my warning light" are you referring to hazard lights here?

I think the argument here is whether stopping to allow a passenger to alight counts as parking.

If you dont agree with the Garda's interruptation of it then appeal the notice when it arrives and take it to court, do let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

Another grey area in the rules of the road.

The rules say double yellow means "No parking at any time"

The next section specifies even if there's not a sign for No Parking, you "must not stop or park" in a list of various scenarios, none of which are double yellow lines.

This can be read that they have made a distinction between "stopping" and "parking" in each, so technically stopping is not the same as parking!

Now, I'm only going by the Big Bang Theory of reading the law (leave me alone, I liked the show), but if something in a law is ambiguous, then the decision goes in the favour of reading it each way.

I wouldn't use the last line in front of the judge OP! Best of luck.

Am I misinterpreting the scenario but from your OP, you were out of the car speaking to the garda (as you pointed out your hazard lights [were you a hazard?]) who I take it told you to move the vehicle. You then left and guided the passenger into your car and the garda called you back.

In a subsequent post, you mention that the garda was on a bit of a power trip. To be honest, you seem to have ignored the instruction of a garda (a greater offence than parking on double yellows) and they could have done you for this but chose not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Classic case of someone asking a question, presuming to know the answer, and hoping that everyone agrees with them.

Anyone who doesn't 'does not know what they are talking about'.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 g g murpho

But do the UK not distinguish between stopped and parking 🤔

Hence they have double yellow lines and double red lines. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭delboythedub

I think that a commercial vehicle is allowed park on yellows for 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

30 minutes: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

5(2)(e) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

36(2)(a) is the article prohibiting parking on double yellow lines. Doesn't apply to OP's case of course, since the exemption is only for loading/unloading goods.

OP, if someone is able to enter or exit a vehicle, you're going to have a very difficult time trying to persuade a judge you were "stopped" instead of parked. But by all means, appeal, and let us know how it goes.

Oh, and having hazard lights on makes absolutely zero difference to whether you're allowed stop, and the fact that you're a "professional" driver that doesn't know that is deeply worrying (but unsurprising).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well, we've got reg. 39(2) and (4) to think about:

(2) A person shall not park a vehicle in a bus lane during the period of operation of the bus lane . . .

(4) Sub-article (2) shall not apply to a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi which is stopped while picking up or setting down passengers in the course of its use.

The inclusion of sub. (4) implies that the prohibition on parking in sub. (2) would extend to stopping to set down or pick up passengers. If it didn't, sub. (4) wouldn't be needed.

• Advertisement

Never said it did.

I’m simply pointing out that stopping and parking ARE NOT the same thing. The Garda was wrong in this case.

I’m simply pointing out that the UK recognise the difference between stopping and parking, hence the distinction between double yellows and double reds.

Mmm. They're not necessarily different things either.

I think they are overlapping concepts. At one extreme, stopping at a stop sign or a red light is clearly not parking. At the other extreme, stopping to have a cigarette, read the paper, wait until your scheduled appointment time, etc, clearly is parking.

I have suggested above that reg. 39 indicates that stopping to set down or pick up a passenger would be parking. Generalising from that, if you stop the car to attend to any business or activity that isn't driving, that's parking. But if you stop the car because it would be impossible, unsafe, unlawful, etc to proceed, that's not parking.

In your opinion they are wrong. Make sure you report back how the court case goes as I think we are all interested in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

Why not put in a query to the RSA for clarification or to the Taxi Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Has common sense become a thing of the past?

A taxi driver spots a customer at the side of the road, but it's double yellow for a 100 yards. If he pulls over, winds down his window, and tells her she needs to move 100 yards down the road, does he get done for parking?

I have seen umpteen cars momentarily pull over to drop passengers off on South Great George's Street (and have done it myself) with nary an issue.

If a judge has a problem with such behaviour from a driver conducting his daily business, the law is truly an ass.

I'd be taking it to court.

A taxi driver spots a customer at the side of the road, but it's double yellow for a 100 yards. If he pulls over, winds down his window, and tells her she needs to move 100 yards down the road, does he get done for parking?

I would imagine that it is because in general taxi drivers (and many regular drivers) have a sense of entitlement that they can do as they wish on the roads, so why would they need to ask a fare to walk down the road.

I have seen umpteen cars momentarily pull over to drop passengers off on South Great George's Street (and have done it myself) with nary an issue.

South Great George's Street is a perfect example of why we need double yellows and fines for drivers stopping (parking) along it - I'm surprised someone would choose it as an example against double yellows!

If a judge has a problem with such behaviour from a driver conducting his daily business, the law is truly an ass.

That's the sense of entitlement that I referred to in my first paragraph! Someone conducting their daily business does not give you permission to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

id be going to court too, picking up dropping off is not parking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

park”, in relation to a vehicle, means keep or leave stationary, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly;

Section 3(1), RTA 1961

Again, unless the OP kept the car moving, he was parked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Are passengers not the goods that taxi drivers are licensed to pick up?

Advertisement