Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Thought that. Can you pm me where you got all of that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

2ish years ago but I got an 11kW ecodan and it's internal unit with cylinder along with UFH on ground floor and new rads upstairs with 8 zones and full replumb of the whole house included for less than that quoted price. Even with inflation that's a poor price.

Weather compensation and energy monitoring should be standard not selling points too.

Commissioning is part of install too.

Reads like the installer took the recent uplift in the SEAI as an invitation to charge the uplift.

Shop around and I'd be shocked if you don't find cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

I'd be interested too of you wouldn't mind.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

GoT something a bit higher but with tank recently

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have a NIBE unit but I set the DHW schedule to only heat at night rate hours. It is very simple on these units.

It should be in your schedule/timer settings. I'm not familiar with the Samsung unit you have but it should be similar on most brands.

Do you set at 20/21 degrees for the 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,063 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes temp set at the same temp constantly (whatever it is) the installers told me a timed schedule was a false economy?

I can see their point of view. But is the house occupied all of the time?

I set mine at one temp for the evenings during the week as it is not occupied during the days and no one is up during the night. So I set it lower for these times.

But I have solar PV/battery so it doesn't use any day rate by setting it this way for me.

• Advertisement

My wife is at home with the kids so while there isnt someone there every hour of every day there is always someone coming or going, the argument the installer made is that it takes so long to heat up and cool down that its no worth making adjustments in blocks during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

the argument the installer made is that it takes so long to heat up and cool down that its no worth making adjustments in blocks during the day.

He's not far wrong to be honest.

I do have 2 adjustments/timers on mine though, to soften the blow a little. In the 2hrs leading up to the start of night rate I cut the temp back so that it doesn't run until night rate kicks in and towards the end of night rate I get it to boost a small bit so it doesn't run for 1-2 hours after night rate.... its a small but regular saving each day in the depths of winter.

For the remainder of the day the heat pump does whatever it needs to.

And I do all my hot water heating during night rate via the timers. Thats a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Id like to utilize a night rate but the fan is too loud to sleep with, im a light sleeper. After reading various forums, it seems that running constantly at say 21 is most efficient. That requires having the balancing right and having all loops open and having 1 stat constantly calling for heat. Im going to attempt this when it gets colder and im planning on switching off heat approx11pm each night and have it call again at 6am as not to disturb sleep. I heat dhw at2pm as its warmest part of the day.

it very much depends on how well insulated and airtight the house is. i feel installers don't take this into account and just give broad brush advice no matter which house they are in.

in my case i have a new build, moving in next month. my plumber last week said that besides DHW the heat pump will only come on every 10 days or so in the summer to get rid of the risk of legionella. in the winter the house will have such a low heat demand that the HP will only need to come every few days to give the floor slab a boost which will lift the indoor temps. for DHW it will come on during night rate hours to heat the tank for showers etc. in the morning. if the tank needs a boost later in the day then hopefully i'll be able to automate the HP to come on with the aid of solar (but that's a personal project for another day).

having the HP ticking over in my case would be a complete waste of electricity, money and totally unnecessary from a comfort standpoint.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Why would you run it at all at 21 degrees? You don't sleep in those temps do you.

No i will turn off at 11pm so throughout the night it will prob drift down to 18/19. Can sleep in 21 as its 23 in rooms these nights. Just a waste to not have room loop open when all other living area loops open.

Im in a new airtight house and can tell you in depths of winter, your heat pump will be on everyday for some time at minimum unless your planning on having temps in region of 16degrees throughout the house which is cold when stationary.

Misread that originally. I thought you meant 21 degrees constantly, as in 24 hours a day.

Personally I wouldn't sleep very well in 21 or 23 degrees. But the temps do creep up this time of the year.

I actually think the opposite and use stats in all of the bedroom/non living areas. I find it is the most efficient way cost wise for me.

Yeah ill trial it this winter, first winter in house last year and few guys on renewable energy forum in uk have trialed it and they reckoned all loops open and to just try balance house as most installers don't balance correctly, all my flows were the same and bathroom next to plant room used to get roasting as it was such short loop with same flow as lonegest loop.

Well to be fair unless temps are low mine shouldn't come on either, thermostats are at 20. 5 downstairs and 19 upstairs, if the ambient temp is above that it won't come on, if it drops below it will, I can't see how your situation will be any different? Only coming on every few days in the winter sounds fanciful? Unless it's a passive house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

It seems to me that the airtightness isn't being taken into account enough when calculating costs and that using the default DEAP values could be wildly inaccurate for many domestic dwelling use cases.

This was an interesting article about assessing Out Of The Blue

https://passivehouseplus.ie/articles/passive-housing/passive-assessment

out of interest do you know what the u-values for the floor, wall and ceiling/roof are? while a house can have excellent airtightness if there's the bare minimum insulation to cover the building regs it may not be sufficient to keep the house warm for a number of days in a row. there's other factors such as solar gain or lack of which also play a part in the heating of the house but the point i'm trying to make is that every house is different yet the advice given so often is broad brush.

Trial and error is probably the best way to find what works best for you and your house.

Because the weather varies so much here it can be difficult to compare usage from one period to the next.

ah your house is passive , thats different, have ber cert somewhere for u values. 150mm insulation in walls, xtratherm, heat recovery etc just your general new house i suppose. Warm house but def needs ufh on during winter.

its not really a different story though. the building regs are the minimum standard a house has to meet. my house is a self build using traditional block-built cavity construction. to meet passive standard i had to put in an extra 3k of insulation. windows/doors cost pretty much the same as non-passive triple glazed windows on the market and airtightness is now a requirement for an A rated house. the passive mvhr unit worked out close to the same price as a non passive unit. i spent less than 5k more than would be needed for an A1 house yet getting vastly greater levels of comfort and lower running costs...and hopefully over the course of a few years recoup the 5k extra spent in savings. the heat pump is a standard 8kW unit.

so overall its not a different story imo as in its a fairly standard bungalow that meets the building regs (the only difference is it has slightly more insulation and more airtight than an A1).

its a different story in terms of how much heat you need from the heat pump, i still think the plumber is optimistic but youll find out in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I would have thought that a true passive house wouldn't need a heat pump at all?

You need a method to heat water of course, but a €10k+ heat pump setup(UFH etc) isn't required for that.

• Advertisement

i have the same insulation in the walls, your u-value will be in or around 0.136 depending on the rest of the makeup of the wall which is excellent. i have 170mm PIR insulation below the screed (u-value 0.116) and 340mm mineral wool between the joists (u-value 0.115). it has had airtightness materials applied to an inch of its life. that's the big difference between A1 and passive. attention to detail at the airtightness stage is crucial. the passive requirement far exceeds the building regs which is where most heat losses occur and will in turn have a big effect on the performance of the heat pump.

Advertisement