Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Core6 - "That Pinergy 'EV Drive Time' rate isn't great."

Well that depends. It would be excellent for me as I would probably be on that for over 98% of the units (after the inevitable rounding / errors from the inverters CT, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I could potentially use 30-40kWh on a particularly cold day in winter just on the house (not counting EVs)

Say 20kWh into a house battery plus another 20kWh into the two EVs and another 8kWh leftover to run the appliances and heat the water

That would be enough to cover a big chunk of the other usage, plus the pittance I'll be getting from the panels during the day (probably 1kWh, optimistically)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I understand that, my question is what time will the new smart day/night work to? I'm assuming the meter will change time when the clocks change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I believe the Day/Night tariff has to be equivalent to the current D/N meter, so the times will still change

I think the issue with the current smart meter is they can only record usage into one register at a time.

So they can't have the typical Day/Peak/Night periods the current ones have which does follow daylight savings, and a Day/Night period which doesn't

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Aye. In the absence of an "agile" tariff where we can really help to stabilise the grid and help the transition to renewables (while making a lot of money 🙃), I'd gladly sign up for a €1.00 per kWh at all other times tariff if that gives me max sucking at 5c. And remember there is a €100 cash upfront as well to easy some of that €1.00 per kWh pain 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think cos could give at least 6 hours, 12 -6am at a very low rate, and have a highish rate for the other 18 hours. This would get EVs and some other house appliances on at night, mostly. EVs working also as storage and thus balancing the grid and flattening the consumer usage curve.

That's wishful thinking. They want to make a profit, not a loss 😂

The thing is of course that they lose money on the 5c rate, so they are banking on very few people actually maxing out on this every night, while not consuming many of their super high margin units. I suspect they have hedged this risk by having a small print fair usage level. Which is nowhere on their site. That's why I have specifically asked them that question. Will update here, if / when I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Unkel, did Pinergy confirm unlimited use for that low 2am to 5am rate ?

This maybe, out of date, but spotted this on bonkers, €11.25 per month of remaining contract, but its unclear if this applies, only to their prepay plans.

I'll post here if / when they come back to me. But "variable-rate tariff" is a bad start. There is nothing stopping them upping that 5c rate to 25c the day after you sign up 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I was thinking that I may move to the flogas community day/night plan. I had a look at the T&Cs and don't see any high usage charge.

Currently with Energeia and any usage over 2000 night units the price goes from 14c to 26c.

Or would be better to hold off for a while to see will the electricity prices drop ?

• Advertisement

Lets not jump the gun, and see what they say, you certainly asked, all the right questions !

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

How long is a piece of string. What's your day usage, night usage, what's your energia rate. Gas is on the way up again can't see the prices dropping more than 25% this side of Christmas which they need to to compete with flogas fixed. If they do I'll have the breakage fee saved several time over by then.

Thats per Bi Monthly, billing period, a reasonable limit, and for the vast majority, (granted, some exceptions), would not be be an issue for 4 or 5 bi monthly bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

I came in with half a story, far less knowledge of kwh and the multiple equations so thank you for your service. But glad someone may find it useful. I am charging the car every night AND putting the dishwasher on timer so I'm delighted with life and my 5c. I only use 3-5kwh at other times thanks to small but modest PV. And hey I'm a sucker for a 100e credit brings me back to the glory glory days. I knew there was a charge per month of contract as a cancellation if it all goes Pete Tong so in my head I've offset that just in case.

Was a big issue for me. And it would be an issue for pretty much every family who heats house and water with electricity and has at least one or two EVs

Energia was the only one with such a night rate cap. It forced me to use gas instead of night rate electricity for heating, which of course is a bad thing.

Granted this setup is now the exception but in 10-20 years most households would be like that as people are catching up and we are all no longer burning much stuff anymore. I wish it was sooner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d suggest you jump now and review again closer to the 14 day cooling off period. There’s nothing even close to the Flogas day/night rates at present. Even with a substantial discount with competitors, the Flogas rates will still be cheapest and you’ll be locked in for 12 months. If I’m wrong it’ll only cost you €50 to walk away and move to a better offer. €50 is not a huge lot considering potential savings of €700+ over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I did the same. Jumped early to the EV plan last year from EI and again to flogas. People need to look to the big picture and away from the 50e charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Have application submitted so we will see how that goes, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Did I read on here that it's possible to sign up now and defer the switch until after the cooling off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think so:

@SouthWesterly so is that a nominal change-over date where you can defer the start of the contract, or tell us more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

My Energia deal finishing in 3 weeks - approx 30cent day and 8 cent at night. Was great while it lasted. Signed up to Flogas deal on 8.8.23. Energia rang today 11.8.23 to confirm I'm leaving. So things are moving along quickly. Energia confirmed they will charge the €50 fee. Energia offered 20%off deal of 43cent day and 21 night. As I drive an EV 40,000 kms a year Flogas no Brainer for me. Fyi

Indeed. Was one of the earliest EV plan customers, switched to another provider after a year but then switched back to the EV plan when it was still 7.9c per kWh this time last year. Paid the €50 penalty but that saved me several hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That wasn't a year-long contract then? I signed up to the EV rate this time last year and I had 10c night and 36c day rate, so not sure how you managed to get such a good rate...!

Think i was the same d/n ev tarriff, 28.18 /8.58 after discounts and including vat.signed up in September 5th last

i bit the bullet and changed this week. its cheaper to pay the50e than to miss out on the plan altogether and be stuck on a higher tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I also got in at approx 8/30c incl vat early last Sept, broke my contract with Bord Gais as knew the Energia deal wouldn't last long, the way prices were going. Tbf Bord Gais never charged the €50.

Has been an incredibly cheap year, running two cars and the house mainly on night rate. (With 4.1kWp solar).

Not looking forward to changing again early Sept, hope the Flogas day/night deal still exists..

My Energia plan expires end of August but I jumped to Flogas today. The difference for me between Flogas and the next cheapest provider would be over €1000 for the year. For the sake of the €50, I couldn't take a chance on it being gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

I also moved today from my Energia contract to Flogas as I was afraid that the Flogas deal might disappear.

Just wondering if anyone else got an email from Flogas confirming that they had received the application? I’ve received nothing yet & am beginning to wonder if I might have made a mistake with my email address.

I had made a similar switch with my gas on Wednesday & got a confirmation email almost immediately.

Just hoping that I haven’t messed up!

• Advertisement

Advertisement