Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

No need to book - itll be reflected on your boarding pass or could show your AerClub card. it will work any time you fly out of Dublin on EI.

For return only a select few airports will offer it for EI flights, even if you were connecting to a business flight from Dublin. LIN or LIS or CDG for example didnt the last time I was there. However your mileage may vary - more of a chance it’ll work with a human than the machine though because computer says no.

Might get a quicker answer on the FlyerTalk EI forum?

Also, if you take a return EI flight before your anniversary date you might get a soft landing to silver? I think it’s either 2 or 4 segments… might be an excuse for a quick jaunt to UK etc

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Ive been platinum since 2019 but i certainly wont get 600 points by end of november. Herself is due a baby so i wont be traveling as much in october and november so i may not make 300 either. Is it true they step you back to Silver for 12 months first or do you go right back to green?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you made 2 revenue flights on EI in the previous 12 months you drop to Sliver

There is a way apparently to 'pause', contact Aer Club

Well ill still have made 10 flights easily so i should qualify for the soft landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is it me, or is the Avios website down?

How does one link their AerClub account to their Avios one?

I dont get an option to login with a partner airline as the only ones that come up are BA and Iberia.

Managed to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone know if you're likelier to get a Concierge upgrade to JFK from either Shannon or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

If you achieve platinum but the next year you fly very little, do you go all the way back to green or just down 1 level to silver?

Are there any tips on how to reduce the amount of taxes and charges when booking Reward flights with Avios.

For example, I've always heard that Heathrow is very expensive when it comes to taxes and charges, so if possible avoid that airport and use your points elsewhere.

Does anyone with some hints on what destinations give bigger bang for buck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Sorry this has definitely been asked before but I can’t seem to figure it out:

If my Green Tier start date is 30 December 2020 (meaning my renewal date is 30 December every year) and I earn 301 points by 1 September 2023 do I move to Silver straight away and then keep Silver until 30 December 2024 or do I just keep it until 1 September 2023 (this date becoming my new renewal date?)?

I am trying to figure out if the renewal date stays the same meaning it makes sense to move to silver soon after the renewal date so that you get the rest of that year and the year after for the tier credits…. if that makes sense

30 December 2024 

I think someone said if you do 4 return flights you soft land down to silver. Scroll back 2-3 pages as i asked the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Missed a connection on an ei ticket last week San Diego to San Fran(operated by Alaskan Air), mechanical issue. The EI flight was from San Fran to Dublin and was due to land at 11.50am in Dublin. Was put onto a BA flight to Heathrow then EI to Dublin and landed about 5pm.

The EI flight was business but the flight to Heathrow was down the back.

Wonder what compensation I’m due, I guess I don’t get the tier points or avios but expect to get a good chunk of the ticket price back at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you accepted the J flight you'll get damn all back I think.

EC261 applies if you were in Y SAN/SFO-LHR, so you should get between 35% and 75% refund

Aer Lingus does not operate business class LHR-DUB, the seats might be business but its not marketed as such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I might have to travel to Dallas for work and as I'm close to platinum I figure I'll try fly EI. Their website offers me EI7113 direct operated by American - if I book through EI would I get tier points or only on EI metal? Which means going through ORD or PHL. Ugh, are the tier points worth it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its EI metal only I believe.

I would route through ORD as its closer DFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I am heading over to the US and the flights I am looking at connect via ORD, so it's EI from DUB to ORD and then United for the rest of the trip. It looks like Business is not available on the connecting flight but there are business seats on the EI leg. Has anyone got an Aerclub upgrade on the EI leg but still in ECO for the rest? Or if you request the upgrade will they say no based on the second leg of the trip not having any BUS seats available?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’ve made similar trips with switching between Economy and Business when booking online. The difficulty is you can’t always get what you want, you may want to go Business all the way with your internal connections etc but they may not be able to accommodate same. You can’t override the system unfortunately - even if you contact customer service. So you may select Business all the way but your US connections may be economy and it’s next to impossible to change that.

Upgrades are an altogether more difficult matter. I was charged and had points removed for a Business class upgrade back from the US a few years ago but there was no seat for me and I ended up in economy but the points and monies were never refunded…..so be careful. Anyone who’s ever complained to AerClub will know what I’m talking about when I say they not only are useless, but they will make you jump through hoops to even get a reply.

One of the many reasons I just don’t bother with AerClub anymore.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

My Internal flight is only 90 mins so not too bothered, it's just the TA legs. I'll give it a go and see. I hear ya about Aerclub but I travel for work and they have an EI first policy, no idea why but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

i don’t mind flying Aer Lingus, I just hate dealing with AerClub.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

I've seen the 'EI metal only' point suggested on here before. It doesn't make any sense to me though that they can sell a flight with an EI number (albeit codeshare) through the EI website and not give out EI tier points. Does anyone know that this is the case for sure? I have a Houston booking in a few months' time (EI ticket on BA long-haul metal) hence the interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The EI website says "You earn Tier Credits when you fly with us on Aer Lingus ticketed and operated flights" - so I guess not. You do get Avios with partners though. I asked above as I wondered (hoped!) if anyone had proven otherwise... it is very frustrating and makes AerClub crap compared to some of the group schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I haven't bothered with AerClub since I fell out of Gold Circle years ago. It was more trouble than it was worth for me.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

The issue is that most people would see the EI flight number on the EI website and assume it was EI metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bit of a pain you can't upgrade your own seat if getting a companion ticket on a flight. Was told companion ticket has to be in the same class so can't upgrade my own seat as you can't upgrade the companion one anyway.

Also, does anyone know what baggage is like for companion tickets? Website says no checked bags but the agent said there was as I had bags on the main ticket. Or even if no checked bag, does it still have a carryon (transatlantic flight so tickets have those anyway without paying extra)

Hi Folks, Can you book on an infant also if claiming a 2 x return flight from the BOI credit card?

I know theres no issue doing it with Avios but i have no idea about the BOI credit card.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Am I right in thinking AerClub stopped sending out the physical membership cards? I can't seem to find a current valid one, but when I log in, I'm still in 'Silver' status

I'm amazed I still have any sort of status as my recent trip history is very thin....

2022 - 1 return trip to Glasgow

2019 - 1 return trip to LHR

2018 - return trips to JFK, LHR, BHX, BCN, LHR again...

So the last year in which I took multiple trips in a calendar year was 2018.... 5 years ago!! and I still have status. Granted in 2018 I was Concierge so was soft landed down a tier each year despite feck all flight activity!! Then Covid happened which extended all the expiry dates!!

• Advertisement

Yep no more physical cards! They also haven’t created the widget to add to a wallet app on Phones either which is annoying.

Jaysus you’ve lucked out with the soft landing/extensions…

Id say a lot of people will drop down a tier if travelling within Europe with the pricing changes kicking in in Oct…

Advertisement