Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Trailer looks like a fur coat no knickers effort. Also 1 of those trailers that just shows you the whole movie. Dont think I'll bother.

Fearless is a good series. The whole sport is nuts but pro bull riders definitely aren't paid enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Probably said this when that project was announced but I couldn't think of two less talented, less charismatic people to lead a film. No harm to Jamie, he seems like a nice guy, and well done for making a career out of being really very handsome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The DC thread had only just been chatting about Gal Gadot and her "star power", such as it is (WRT to her apparent claims Wonder Woman 3 was still happening). Not like actors with notable physical appearances, but an absence of actual acting talent, haven't done well in the past but Gadot has seemed like an especially empty void. I had watched Heart of Stone's trailer, I think, but am not sure 'cos those Netflix "films" all bleed into each other after a while.

Dornan I think is a different matter: I think the problem is he's suffering from that "problem" where he's not a leading man but all he's getting offered are Leading Man roles 'cos of his conventionally handsome face & casting departments believing that'll suffice. Perhaps once Hollywood stops trying to Make Dornan Happen he'll get more interesting roles again.

That's probably a fair assessment of Dornan. I wouldn't avoid something just because he's in it, but neither would I be rushing out to see something just because he was. Gadot's presence on the other hand is a complete red flag to me.

Weirdly enough I actually enjoyed her in the first Wonder Woman film, but that was probably because her lack of talent and charisma oddly suited the character in that initial outing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup that's about the size of it: Gadot's leaden energy worked with the first WW film precisely because she was meant to be a naif, utterly bewildered by the 20th Century world & the cruelty within it. Plus don't forget the secret ingredient of that film was Chris Pine, who perhaps works as a counter-point to the Jamie Dornan question; that while Pine is a conventionally handsome man, he has exactly the kind of ineffable Leading Man charisma Dornan doesn't have.

It also helped that of all the DCEU flicks, it had the strongest script (til the inevitable falling apart in the CGI driven Last Act) for everyone to work off, not least the romance between WW & Steve Trevor, and Trevor's own arc (the less said about the contrivance to bring him back in the sequel, better)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Jamie should have stuck with playing introvertive serial killers.

I'm going to throw Heart of Stone on tonight, with a couple of beers. Sounds like that kind of a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are both very pretty however neither of them actually ooze real on screen charismatic sex appeal that makes want to watch them.

Doren will find his niche on TV and he actually seem to act better with the beard.

Gadot is just an on screen charisma vacuum that actually takes away from the decent actors who share the screen with her.

Some of Dornan's Graham Norton interviews are hilarious. Maybe he should do comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He can act, the fall was terrific, but the accents can be a big issue for him.

He did comedy in Barb and Star go to Vista del Mar. Seemed to be having a great time doing it too, although I still felt he had an air of self consciousness about him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Credit where credit is due to Dornan - he does at least pick adventurous and diverse roles, from smaller indie films to TV shows and blockbusters. Some of them don't necessarily land (Wild Mountain Thyme defeated several better actors than Dornan), and reasonable criticism of his performances is entirely fair. But credit to him for at least challenging himself with a wide variety of different material.

Gadot, on the other hand, has a pretty dire filmography of franchise fare and instantly-forgotten action rubbish. She may have been well cast as Wonder Woman given the demands of the role, but she really doesn't seem interested - at least for the moment - in picking up the sort of diverse roles Dornan does.

I will more than likely give Heart of Stone a watch at some stage.

I did see The Old Guard 2 is due to come out before the end of the year.

The Old Guard was the one Netflix attempt to make a franchise that I actually really enjoyed happy to see another one.

I thought he was alright in The Fall, but much like Gadot being suited to the first Wonder Woman film, playing an introverted silent guy wasn't much of a stretch for Dornan. The whole show fell off the longer it went on and by the end everything about it was bad.

Never even heard of that movie. Looks excellent thanks. 1 of the best trailers Ive seen in a while also. Tells you very little but makes you really want to see the movie. That kid on the bike 😅. Will watch tonight 👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jamie Doran was outstanding in The Fall and The Tourist.

Maybe he just suits TV better.

He is so down to earth and sound in any interview he gives.

The fact that he is lovely to look is an added bonus, you are all just jealous😉.

I'll have to give the film a watch so.

I thought Dornan was the funniest performance in this. His usual accent popping up made me and herself laugh even more. She couldn't believe it when he started singing.

Im aware Fincher said theres no plans for Season 3. I signed anyway 😭.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Don't get me wrong, would love another season but so many shows are tarnished for me that outstayed their welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched it last night. If you want a bit of action entertainment with a few beers, it's perfect. Acting is not great for sure, but had a decent story to it. It will get many critics for those that look into it in detail to find flaws. But for some mindless action fun, it is quite entertaining. I won't be going back for seconds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gave up after 10 minutes. Appalling acting/directing/continuity/believability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ha - I just came across this thread randomly and happen to be 3 episodes from the end (of Season 2), so don't know if there are going to be significant items 'left hanging'. I agree completely with you about unneccessary sequels & seasons ruining things in general, though. 

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Such artistry! Such showmanship!

The world needs more of this. Gwan Jamie!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are un-recommendations allowed?

Watched Heart of Stone on Netflix. It's absolutely woeful.

Dont see why not. I have recommended to avoid plenty of times. At least 70% of those were to avoid Red Notice.

I gave Heart of Stone a go and i like bad movies with a few beers and a pizza however this movie was beyond bad there was nothing even remotely enjoyable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I've just enjoyed series 1 of Manifest on Netflix. Loved it, totally hooked.

Skipped on to the next episode on Netflix to find they don't have season 2 or 3 but they have season 4. I watched a few mins before I realised it so caught spoilers everywhere!

What is the point of that, having two bookends of a series? Will they get season 2 and 3 at all?

Other networks still own the licences for 2 and 3 apparently. You could watch on a Now TV Entertainment sub for 12 euro (1 months sub cost). Then back to netflix for the last season. You're right its dumb to have season 1 and 4 only. Id be heading for the high seas in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A poor Mission Impossible rip off, Asylum style, one review I saw

Wonder Woman and Christian Grey combi not working well 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

“Painkiller” is very good, it’s another series based on the oxytocin drug scandal. It feels quite familiar if you’ve already seen the series with Michael Keaton, but this one takes a slightly different angle, more focus on Richard Sackler himself.

Advertisement