Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People pretending that Ukraine are not losing an incredible amount of men and materials are not helping them, they are actually doing the opposite.

The offensive is plainly not going well and being adjusted. Hopefully that adaption will reap rewards but it does signal that the conflict will go on in to next year and probably 2025. That's a good thing for Russia.

It has the men and is willing to burn through them, Ukraine does not.

It benefits Russia because it allows further reinforcement of positions.

It benefits Russia because it means that the Ukrainian refugees that have left for the West will be even Less likely to return, Ukraine long term is finished if that happens, regardless of the war outcome, never mind the economic implications of the war for Ukraine.

Outside of America, who in the West has the capacity to sustain a war. Poland is ramping up, Germany is accelerating winding down but talking up its army and future spending plans.

There are big regional threats to Western Europe in a circle from West Africa up to and Russia and the main existential threat China.

China can look at the West and see it struggling to resource Ukraine. It is taking succour from that. It sees no interest in rebuilding Western armed capacity, there isn't, token gestures, that's all. Can the West keep up with the demand of a real war for a few more years, doubtful, pity that it was so tight fisted from the start and didn't view this conflict in its longer term threats and implications.

There are many ways this war can be won or lost, at least victory claimed and viewed as such by many.

Unless the West changes and becomes serious then it must live with the consequences long term.

It's actually going the other way. Short term thinking in everything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I've repeatedly expressed doubts about Ukraine's counter-offensive and military situation here, I've yet to be labelled a Putinbot.

Likely because my support is genuine. Unfortunately some posters have come in here with a less than genuine agenda, and while they may not directly admit support for Putin (or against Ukraine), they manifest it in other ways, concern-trolling, contrarianism and other red flags.

On a side note it's an horrific war, atrocities are committed against Ukrainians daily, people are being blown to pieces, it's highly emotive. We aren't robots, it's only natural that people are strongly supportive of Ukraine and emotional towards the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

While it sounds grim, I do think a semi frozen conflict means an eventual Russia defeat.

Ukraine are very unlikely to give up, they know they can't. It'd mean no freedom for themselves and future generations. On the other side the weak Russian economy is under massive pressure, and there will be continuous social and political discontent in the country. That situation can't continue indefinitely. It's only a few weeks since the regime narrowly came through a coup. As long as the war continues there's going to be an increasing risk of an uprising from the public, elements of the military or something led by political rivals. What the final spark would be we won't know until it happens, but Russia won't continue to devote the effort it is currently giving to this war. It might take another year, maybe even longer, but Russia will fail if it doesn't alter course. I presume Putin knows this but isn't quite sure how to get off the hook. Maybe he's hoping a Trump victory next year might change the West's position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed but it hardly matters whether as a Russian citizen you are aware of what is going down and are sitting on your hands or whether as a Russian citizen you have taken all the state propaganda at face value and agree with the SMO. Or are Russian expat living in the EU and either keeping the head down or out marching in support.

Both groups are equally culpable and responsible for what their state is engaged in, both individually and collectively.

People can make excuses for them, but that's all they are, excuses. Excuses that don't wash and they deserve great hardship to be brought on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

most likely the offensive will be officially called off by the end of Aug with no net gains for Ukraine, cant see how they can do any kind of one punch at this stage, they would need to keep reserves , and Russia arent leaving any open doors.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The leaked documents from the US months ago did state the counter offensive would likely not succeed.

They are rarely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

well, everyone here knows who Kermit supports. Same was Timmysomething. Hes gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The posters that are very pro Ukranian are very quick to update if things are going bad too. This thread is near real time in terms of updates good or bad. When the damn blew, when prigozhin coup collapsed, when Russia attacks the power plant, it is up here on this thread almost instantaneously from the mostly strongly pro Ukranian posters. This thread is absolutey fine. There is no distortion of information caused by where sympathies lie. It’s one of the most insidious, disingenuous arguments that has arisen over the last 10 years in the wake of brexit and trump and this horrific war and is straight out of the Russian propaganda playbook. This false concern that everything has to balanced by opposing views and faux concern for free speech. It’s the height of horse shite and is completely and utterly disingenuous. It’s straight out bare faced platforming of lies to suit agendas and nothing to do with balance.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I may have taken you up wrong and apologies if I have...all russians deserve great hardship because of the actions of their government?

all who stay silent, all who can not decide, all who 'are not interested in politics', all who say 'it is not that conclusive', and absolutely all who support their fascist/nazi mafia regime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure how you can say a group is culpable for something they have absolutely no awareness of. IF all you know is propaganda, who's gonna tell you otherwise?

you could say that in 1930' when all there was a local newspaper and radio. Its a bit ridiculous to state that in 2023. Today, it is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, that's what goes down with being a citizen of a state. You know that concept called responsibility.

I am responsible for my own actions and my family's safety.

No more, no less.

Thats such a bizarre take

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You think Russia's internet and information access is as loose and free as here? Have you watched the state TV current affairs shows? I think it's easy to underestimate just how curated information is in somewhere like russia

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

There's a reason why VPNs are extremely popular in Russia and Putin and his cronies are trying to stop the VPNs altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, it's correct. It's the premise of 'common purpose', a component of common law and goes back hundreds of years. It is relevant to many jurisdictions including Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_purpose

As far as I am concerned, it is entirely irrelevant. I will not agree that all russians deserve hardship because of their government's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

They have full unrestricted access to YouTube which contains lots of factual western media reports on the Russian invasion like CNN, BBC, TV5 etc.

So yes they have a choice, believe the Russian manipulated media or foreign independent truth media.

So less of the ‘poor old brainwashed Russians’ they just choose to back their own side in this illegal war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Completely, it's nihilist Marxist bollix of the type Putin would have learnt in the Communist Party. The collective is responsible and everyone must be made pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

@Wibbs don't know if you spotted this article from Time that posted earlier in the week. While it acknowledges a lot of the issues at the front, it would somewhat disagree with the "frozen front" view...

In brief, it's argument is that while Ukraine doesn't have the long range missiles or air supremacy for the counter-offensive to achieve the Dessert Storm like lightening strike to the Azov sea many in the West are expecting/wishing for, Russia don't appear to have the reserves necessary to rotate troops all along the front or shore up defences when pressed (an issue the UAF don't currently have) which, when added to the other structural problems the Russian military have, suggest that while it'll be a slow grind, Ukraine should eventually prevail... Don't just take my summary of it though, the article is well worth throwing on the kettle for IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

For the most part, attrition seems to be the way to go. Grind them down day and night while the ruble continues its descent.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Nah,

This lad takes away the Civilian bodies (like that 8 year old boy murdered this morning)

This sums it up well

All Eyes On Rafah

I still talk to people from russia, ex colleagues, people I know. All from there. Everything is available if you look for it. They use VPNs to watch movies from hated US and damn west, they can read news too. If they want. I 'don't think', I know.

I'm not sure whether or not you are joking. If you are it is in poor taste.

There are 8 year old russians too. They deserve hardship I suppose?

I think it's an absolutely insane way of thinking.

Sounds like Liam Neeson's insane ramblings about wanting to bump into a black person a few years ago. (and before anyone gets on, I am not conflating the war to liam neeson, I am comparing blaming individuals for the actions of others, purely based on their nationality/race/religion)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yea, I got lots of stick for suggesting something similar to this a few weeks back, even one poster questioning the timing of my posts trying to imply I had multiple accounts.

It's patently obvious that Ukraine are not getting enough military aid to win this war, the US and the west are still holding back in my view. Unless that changes I dont see things changing in Ukraines favour anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

True ,those that advocate even loosely an "only Russian is a dead Russian" approach are in my view playing Putin's game as some kind of propaganda virus.

The Ukrainians deserve better than such "support"

Coming from the mouth of someone directly affected by the invasion those sentiments would perhaps be understandable but we ,from our secure vantage point should espouse sentiments that are worth others dying for(and hope that the Russian and Ukrainian peoples can eventually live in peace and mutual respect with each other)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Well we can all agree that it's great to see Russia ground down militarily and economy wise but unfortunately Ukraine is being destroyed at a frightening rate also.

The longer this goes on i do have my suspicions that that is exactly what the west wants as in a destroyed Russian nation and if Ukraine is the vessel for that so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

Ireland needs to join NATO and get some ammo to Ukraine. Otherwise we remain neutral arse scratchers.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement