Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think that's a breach of her Geneva convention rights, or something.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That I feel is the only appropriate reply to your post.

Genuinely not sure if you’re serious or trolling - we’ve had a few of this type of post today I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"I have done the State some service; they know't. No more of that".

Now time to exuent stage left, to do a far far better thing than he has done before :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Before Tubridy, the Toy Show was always about the kids and the toys. Tubridy changed that so that it became about him.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Something very odd here??

Interim Deputy Director-General Adrian Lynch told Independent TD Peter Fitzpatrick that Ryan Tubridy is being paid while negotiations are suspended | Live updates https://rte.ie/b/1391561

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When is the rte autumn schedule announced? You know, they get 40/50 of the 'stars' into the rds for photo ops and with a load of wine, it'll be good craic to see who shows up for it this yeara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think that the license fee drop os only loosely tied to Tubridy. If he returns I expect the fee revenue to continue to drop but if he's dumped I don't expect licence fee revenue to bounce back either.

This debacle is the grit in which opposition to the direction RTE has taken in the past say 10 years has coalesced around. Fundamentally, there is a significant minority that do not trust RTE, particularly it's news and current affairs output and they consider that the organisation is pushing a progressive editorial agenda rather than unbiased fact based news output. Those license fee payers are not returning now with or without Tubridy. Even they don't make up a majority, you don't have to be when the organisation needs the money from all comers.

In a way the license fee rejection is doing what it should - hurting RTE for failing to keep in tune with its audience. RTE has lost part of its audience and now needs to reform it's output in order to win it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lads and lassies, don’t feed that poster.

You know whom I’m referring to.

That’s good to hear, I genuinely feared for her role when I read NKM’s star pupil made a complaint about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It looks like Adrian Lynch stated so as acting interim DD-G.

Kevin Backhurst has since stated that Tubridy is not being paid until a new pay 'level' has been agreed.

TBH We don't know, all we do know is that both parties (Backhurst and Tubridy) had a 'constructive' conversation before both of them went on their holidays.

IMO I believe either way Ryan Tubridy is not being left short changed. He is either still being paid for his radio slot (although to my knowledge he is out of contract) or he is not getting paid during this time and will negotiate a new contract with Kevin Backhurst (either with or without Noel Kelly) of which he will be paid for this period. Hence, Kevin Backhurst stating that he does not want to deal with Noel Kelly at THIS point in time.

Or, due to the fallout of this debacle any future negotiations with Kevin Backhurst and Ryan Tubridy may result with RTE breaking ties with Tubridy, although I find that scenario not impossible but highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

From memory end of August (just checked and it was August 24th last year).

Last year the “stars” and select journalists were wined and dined for the launch. Given the recent revelations I’d imagine it’s going to me a much lower key affair this year, possibly just a press release and no launch.

Here’s a link to one piece of coverage from last year’s “event” inc. some “ker-azy” poses from the stars of NKM RTÉ and Mr. Tubridy doing some of his trademark pointing, this time on a Vespa with a flat tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah 70K for that, I was giving out about it at the time, if they do similar this year they haven't got a clue.

She's working August and won't be attending the festivities on the 24th.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Retirees getting made redundant a year or two out x 6 or 10 times salary per year served"

Are you saying that someone on €100,000, who worked in RTE for 40 years would get a payoff of up to 40 million (10 * 100,000 * 40)? .

€70,000 or €70,000 + 35% if it went through the barter account…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Good lord, what a cavalcade of gick!

It looks like that piece was sent in by RTE and published as was. Everything is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Tubridy in general as the self proclaimed young fogie - creepy level two.

Harbinger of death and misery at prime time on friday night - creepy level five.

I am the toyman - creepy level seven.

Those patrick and the president illustrations with him in them - creepyometer explodes raining glass down on the innocent onlookers, some of whom will be on a future LLS to talk about how they felt as their skin was flayed off.

This thread has taught me many new things. Odd, disturbing things.

That’s usually what happens with press releases to be fair.

I can guarantee you that appeared elsewhere word for word as it is there.

‘Twas one Eamonn Dunphy who said he was a young fogey, and that was probably 20 years ago btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

A bit off topic, but having read the article about last Autumn's exciting RTE offering, I idly clicked on the article "VOGUE WILLIAMS ‘NOT HAPPY’ AFTER COMPANY ACCUSES HER OF STEALING". She doesn't sound like a very nice person.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

That's what I posted for sure and i shouldn't have used those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I should add that what turns this issue into a potential Oppenheimer is the fact that many RTÉ employees applied for, and were refused, this package. Imagine their fury if it turns out that some bigwigs awarded themselves the prize without regard to the criteria on which other applications had been refused.

https://www.offalyindependent.ie/2023/07/14/local-nuj-chief-welcomes-external-probe-of-rte-voluntary-exit-schemes/

Now you might think “What is the anger of a few RTÉ staff who didn’t get to feed at the trough compared to the righteous anger of the millions of licence fee payers?” Ah, such innocence.

Imagine if these exit packages had been granted to everyone who applied. The unions would shut down this enquiry before Bathurst knew what hit him. I mean “the matter would be referred to arbitration and mediation with a rapid process leading to a settlement in favour of our members without discrimination”

Instead the worlers in RTÉ have discovered who are the bosses and who (in the mirror every morning) are the plebs.

Bad enough having “top talent” like the irreplaceable Lottie Ryan creaming it, but an accountant!!!!

The more of this stuff that leaks out before the Dail is back in late September, the worse it will be for RTE. Wonder if this year's Autumn schedule announcement will have Tubridy in the photo?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This redundancy package could turn out to be very murky and even illegal. Kevin says the report will be ready by end of September. I wonder will he miss another deadline. This stuff isn't hard to figure out - they could uncover the truth in a week if they asked the right people the right questions. Who sanctioned it, what were the eligibility criteria and how was the payout calculated? Why does everything have to be a damn report? They already know the truth. Dee Forbes and O'Keefe could explain it in 5 mins.

By the end of September they will have my unpaid license fee too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Plus the nepotism. The staff are very quiet about this. The recruitment policies need a review as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very illegal - the job was not redundant, she was even telling the replacement about things. That is not a redundancy but the buck will, I would imagine, stick with RTE paying a redundancy package to someone whilst employing someone else to do the same job.

Another we'll look after you golden handshake and she became very ill when this was found out.

Time to bring RTE in to the civil/public service where none of this crap would ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I notice Virgin Media are posting a job advert for a journalist to cover for one of their crew, as one of their reporters are going on maternity leave.

Wouldn't see that happening at RTE.

But as others have noted, this is the nepotistic culture at RTE.

It's interesting how this story refuses to 'die', no matter how RTE 'talent' try to wish that it will.

A celebrity death, that they covered for days. Even Ryan tried to get in on that, and it backfired. Then a good chunk of license fee payers stopped paying their license, and now Bakhurst has to be seen to do something, which lead to the redundancy package review.

Now we get an announcement of when the LLS will return, and it's been overshadowed by more revelations.

Don't think that integrating RTE ito the civil service would resolve any of its institutional problems. The hybrid licence fee / commercial problem would still remain and there are some major regulations on what civil servants can do on accepting or offering freebies or gifts. There's also the employment issue. The underliying issue is that RTE was set up by gombeens who wanted the best of both worlds, state and commerical, but it is unsuited to existence in the 21st century as the market has changed from one where RTE was a monopoly state broadcaster to one with multiple broadcasters and competition. The market really started to change in the 1970s when cable television started to take off in the cities. It got worse for RTE through the 1980s and 1990s with the rise of satellite TV. Now, RTE is competing with Netflix and Amazon Prime for movies. When's is the last time anyone here watched a movie on RTE's channels?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I see where you're coming from but it is time for a root and branch change.

Look at Sweden (ok double the population but its still a valid point)

Public service broadcasting - Myndigheten för press, radio och tv (mprt.se)

Has to provide public service broadcasting, cannot take advertising or use product placement (Joe Duffy would cringe at that) and so on, charges far less than the RTE fee for the average tax payer and those on lower income pay even less

RTE wants the best of both worlds while providing none of the benefits of either

• Advertisement

It would be great if RTE was to be a public service broadcaster. Integrating RTE, the public broadcaster, with the Civil Service might work (with a lot of work) but there probably won't be any support from the present government for that option. The hybrid model means that it is hard to say where RTE the "public broadcaster" and RTE the commercial broadcaster begin and end. A root and branch reform would probably require new companies for both with the technical side of things hived off to 2RN (RTE Networks).

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement