Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

And that's why I stated, rethink by the players you identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

As regards to the support for the All Ireland that was a big crowd for us, at max. We would have 15,000 at an all Ireland we would always be outnumbered, even counties with smaller populations would outnumber us,lots of people in this county consider themselves great hurling supporters when they follow the few championship matches on the telly. The crowds at the homecoming proves this. On the players for intercontinental issue it’s only a discussion to see what we could come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

It all depends on what you base that view on. I can`t speak for fellas not making themselves available, but the impression I have is that the players like Lyng but that`s only half the battle. The great managers tend to rule with a combination of likeability and an iron fist which in turn engenders respect. They always picked a fight in the camp that only they were ever going to win. Cody did it, Alex Ferguson and Jack Charlton did it too.

If your view is based on what you have read dipping into this thread, well I wouldn`t pay much attention to that either. There`s a few regulars here who have for years been agitating for Brian Cody to step down. This was supposed to herald a new brand of man management, of smarter hurling and renewed successes.

Unfortunately, whatever way you look at it, and it is a results business after all , but we have taken a big step back from where we were at this point last year and there has been no renewal. It has been comical at times reading some of the commentary here about how Lyng was right to keep the old stagers on the panel when it was as obvious as the day is long that what we needed after Deegan`s goal was young, fast legs to either get us onto breaking ball or close down the opponent in possession.

He didn`t take his opportunity to make a clean sweep and now we are a year behind where we should be. There are bullets that need to be bitten this winter and probably a difficult campaign to be endured with a young team next year. Supporters might have been more forgiving if all that had happened this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jamesbond2022

He still has to much of camogie swing for inter county hurling imo

Watched him in the Walsh cup this year took way to much out of the ball on a few occasions to try get onto his stronger side

I heard Michael Fennelly was going through a program with all the various development squads in Nowlan park this week, it covers a full day for each age group about health skills tactical play etc.seems to be the way to go. We have to start somewhere hopefully this is the start and if things go well success starts quickly enough from the bottom up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Weekend fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thanks guys especially 'Tibruit'. I get what your saying about 'carrot and stick' . Probably abit old school. Kiely is tough but he's an awful lot more carrot than Cody ever was. Bug of course he has natural born Killers in the likes of Hayes, Byrnes , O Donoghue...doesn't need to get the aggression cranked up. It's on 90 % already and the likes of Flanagan, Finn , Mike Casey...are good and tough.

I'd build a team around Cody up front and Mullins centre back. Reid nor Blanchfield nor Carey are centre backs...Blanchfield is too light for me for the centre. Good player though. Reid..too small and weak.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

If its adrian mullin you are talking about I couldn't disagree more..he is probably our second best forward..I can just about tolerate him in midfield where he can still.pick off a few scores but putting him at 6 makes no sense to me..for me he needs to be at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You wouldn’t say Blanchfield was too light if you met him in person…. he looks light from a distance because of his height. He’s actually quite a big lad physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Blanch was too light last year and is still getting to where he needs to be but he was clearly stronger this year. One thing is for sure, his absence was felt in the final (although that was compounded by the decision to replace him with a forward, which meant his absence caused way more disruption than it needed to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

Nobody has greater stadium support numbers than cork and limerick on a regular basis and that includes the dubs. Mayo have a following but no where near limericks or corks. Limerick had 40 k for their home round robin games. They put 75 k in to cp when cork and limerick met in an Ireland semi 2018

We have a steady 5k support for league matches and often outnumbered the home support but recently these numbers have dwindled.

Thanks for that Robwen I was half right, that’s all looking good anyway and i would certainly count that as progress and a sign that the powers that be are finally after realising we have a problem.

Blanchfield is more or less the same height and weight as Diramuid Byrne’s so nothing wrong with him physically for sure.

No doubt he was a huge loss in the final and starting Wally meant three lines on the team had to be changed which in hindsight was a huge mistake.

Plus, we lost the opportunity to spring Wally from the bench as we had been doing.

Yeah we actually made three lines on the pitch and our bench weaker with one move. Corcoran , Buckley or Walsh should have started at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Tullaroan boys must've been reading the thread after last weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Advertisement

The hand pass will have to be got rid of. The referee at the Boro loughs game even blew for the clash of the ash

𝑭𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆

The Michael Lyng Motors Hyundai Intermediate League fixture between Thomastown GAA Club & O'Loughlin Gaels GAA Club, Kilkenny, Ireland will now throw-in at the later time of 𝟑:𝟑𝟎𝐩𝐦 on Sunday 13th August in Gowran.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

In Johnstown today U16 KilkennyCLG A v CorkGAA A at 11.00am and Kilkenny B v Cork B at 12.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah get real if your comparing Byrnes and Blanchfield. I dont have the stats but Byrnes is about a stone heavier than him and about 50% more aggressive. He'd leather Blanchfield (great potential) up and down the pitch. Blanchfield looks about 1.5 stone underweight. Now I understand he might be Billy Big B*lls in Kilkenny.. but he wouldn't be in Limerick. There's photos up here of 15 Yr olds doing weights and getting schooled in nutrition..shur Limerick and Cork have been doing that for 20 years !!.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I find all this talk of 6ft 5 giants with 5-6 years of weights and s&c behind them being the prototype for modern hurling, depressing, Made all the more so by the fat that the assessment is probably accurate.

Sean Mc Donagh is probably the best minor I've seen in a decade, 4 years later, and he hasn't even made the extended Galway squad.

A friend recently raved about a lad he saw playing U15 Club in Kilkenny When I asked someone I knew at his club I got a reply saying "he just wont ever grow big enough to play senior IC"

Bar the odd outlier like Mikey Butler, there is now effectively a minimum height which you must attain (prob 6ft) to have a chance of playing county hurling. As I said, depressing.

What on earth are you talking about, nobody suggesting that Byrne’s isnt years ahead of Blanchfield in his development and in terms of experience. Billy big balls ???… what a stupid immature thing to post and as for Byrne’s “leathering “ Blanchfield up and down the pitch?, I don’t even know what that means.

I was just making the point that David isn’t as light physically as you might think, I certainly didn’t mean to disrespect Byrne’s or your beloved Limerick ( although I think you’re from Clare?) in any way so calm down.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The Boro v OLG game last night was an interesting and tight affair. I genuinely feared a small bit for the Boro after how porous the defence had been against Clara for the 3 goals and how strong O'Loughlins forwards had been against Tullaroan. There was a strong wind which favoured O'Loughlins in the first half and the Boro in the second obviously. The Boro settled a little quicker and had went 3 points to 1 up inside 7 mins. The Boro were playing well until about half way through the half when it was 0-5 to 0-3 to the Boro. Then O'Loughlins started to push up on the Boro short puckout and they started to put the Boro under a lot of pressure at the back and took some good scores from turnovers, aided with a few long range points from their own half. O'Loughlins out scored the Boro 7 points to 2 in the remainder of the half to leave it 0-12 to 0-7 at half time and O'Loughlins were full value for their lead. O'Loughlins got the last two points of the half in extra time as well to extinguish a mini Boro revival when they got two quick point on the 30th minute.

The Boro came out in the second half and started taking some long range points and in the first 10minutes had outscored O'Loughlins 0-6 to 0-1 to draw the game 0-13 a piece. The Boro then pushed on with their momentum and got another point and a Liam Moore goal to create a 9 point swing since halftime. O'Loughlins responded well to the goal and cut the lead to 2 but the Boro pushed it back out to 4 before O'Loughlins got a goal 4 mins from the end to set up a barnstorming finish 1-18 1-17. In fairness to the Boro they stayed composed and got the next 2 points to see out the game.

Tom Kenny was huge again for the Boro along with strong performances by Cillian Hackett, Bill Sheehan and Harry Shine. Liam Moore and Aidan Nolan got through a lot of work and Timmy Clifford and Mark Nolan powered into the game in the second half. The Boro back six tightened up after the last day and were impressive for a full back line were their all 21 or under (I think), all in their first or second year senior hurling. The six forwards, two midfielders and two of the half backs scored from play. We still have Evan Cody and Buckley to come back and they should have a job getting into the team now.

David Fogarty was very good again especially going forward and got 3 points from play for O'Loughlins. Lawlor and Butler kept a dangerous Boro inside line quite but the O'Loughlins backs probably weren't as explosive going forward as the previous week with the exception of Fogarty who now has 0-6 from right wing back in two games. The real issue for O'Loughlins was the forwards, they weren't bad by any means but they definitely weren't as explosive or dominant as they had been the previous week but the Boro were a lot tighter to them and harried and chased them all the way with fast players. Aidan Nolan has to be commended for tracking some of the runs from midfield back and dispossessing the O'Loughlins man in possession a few times. Eoin Wall started to cause trouble when he was feed near the end of the second half and caused the Boro trouble with his runs one of which ended with their goal (can't remember who scored it) Paddy Butler did well in the first half and Mark Bergin did great from frees as he always does but thrived when they pushed up on the Boro puckout in the first half.

Overall a good game, second half was a more interesting contest. The weeks training obviously did Tullaroan no harm after their demolition of Vegas 6-20 to 1-9. I read a lot into that O'Loughlins display last week but much like the Boro's win against Clara you had to take the readiness of the opposition into account. As predicted these two along with Tullaroan will be the contenders from this side of the draw, with Ballyhale and the Village the most likely from the otherside. There's a long way to go yet and no trophies are handed out after the second round but it's starting to shape up nicely.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

Senior

Today

GBC v The Bridge - You'd have to fancy the Bridge to take this one if their switched on.

Comer v The Shamrocks - I'd expect The Shamrocks to win this one too, although by all accounts some of Ballyhales county men need to shake the cobwebs off.

Tomorrow

Glenmore v The Village - The Village should be driven for this and get revenge for last years first round loss, Glenmore will be backing themselves to repeat the trick. This game will give us a better idea of where both teams are after. I'm going for the Village in this one.

Clara v Danesfort - both were poor last weekend and will be looking for redemption. I can see a draw in this one but I'll stick my colours to the Clara mast their senior experience should stand to them.

Comer, GBC and Danesfort would be rooted to the bottom of their respective tables if it works out above with no points after two games.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Advertisement

Just to be a pedant, Limerick put their underage structures in place in 2011, just so you know. We've been giving out for years on here about the state of our underage system, it's not a great surprise to us. The reason your seeing the picture is we're glad it finally looks like something might be being done to help our young lads get to an even playing field in terms of preparation. If we still can't start to win with the right structures in place then we might have to give up hurling and take up the tiddly-winks.

Advertisement