Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

They will have advertised it internally first like almost every other company.

They most likely put feelers out to others who declined.

Now the next stage is to advertise it.

For most jobs internal/ put feelers out will fill the position. That's how many companies operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So RTE are still paying Tubridy despite him being off air? But it's OK because they're only paying him what they think is a fair amount rather than the invoiced values. There must be some strange clauses in that contract because most businesses don't pay for no services provided, nor do they just determine fair amounts on the fly - unless of course RT is in fact an employee and they are under different obligations?

I can't link directly due to the paywall, but the story is here:

https://archive.ph/0pj9y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

So it looks like Tubridy is getting paid while on holidays despite being a contractor with no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

I'm sure RTE would love public funding of €746m in exchange for dropping advertising and sponsorship.

That's over double their entire income from commercial fees and licence fees.

Streaming is more popular than ever and growing.

RTE2 is probably best as a kids/sports/movie channel.

Rte1 should be more news, investigation and entertainment. Not a huge difference from now, but more news oriented.

2fm definitely not required.

Rte gold and lyric do target a specific audience, so should be kept.

Orchestra slimmed down but still should stay.

My guess is something like this will probably happen with license fee collected via household charge via revenue, thus increasing income by €50m - €80m without increasing fee (1.9m occupied homes)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

According to the news on RTE 1 this morning he presented an Invoice for July, but they did not pay the full invoiced amount.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

True, but that’s not how things “work” nowadays.

It takes years to carry out the simplest enquiry, even if the whole thing isn’t quashed by the High Court and sent back to square one. My current favourite is Michael Fingleton, who is 85 and still fighting the IBRC investigation into his reckless lending 20 years ago. Big breakthrough for the investigators last month - they can talk to three more employees.

If McCann Fitzgerald could exonerate everyone (just a big ole’ misunderstanding!), Bakhurst will meet his deadline. But my guess is a hundred drafts of their report will shuttle back and forth between lawyers for each of the named individuals, all of whom aim to exclude anything relating to their client apart from the acknowledgment of their client’s outstanding service to RTÉ and their “cooperation” with the inquiry 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Either way, Bakhurst is off to a dreadful start.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep we do live in a Banana Republic where only the elites prosper. The power swap fascade facilitates that. And the legal profession.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

“Talks about his future nearing resolution”

To me this would suggest that negotiations have been taking place and he will be back in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Possibly but this the whole matter is also a focus of the PAC. Hard questions have been asked there and answers are expected. I don't see RTE management, staff or 'talent' being let off the hook that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Why are they paying anything at all???

He did no “work” during July and has no contract. The only thing he did during July related to RTÉ was blame them for this mess, and sully their name in the process.

GUBU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, this interface between a public service broadcaster and the commercial aspect is very murky. It's not in the interests of RTE in terms of public trust to be exposed to this lack of credibility. They are compromised and it's not always apparent to the listener or viewer when they are being fed advertorial and product placement etc.

Any public charge and funding in general will also have to be looked at in terms of the rest of Irish local radio and TV offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It may be the case that his invoices are a monthly average and don't specifically account for the days worked in the month. More akin to say an employee rather than a contractor, but this is the **** show that is RTE we are talking about.

I think we've had enough of dodgy invoices at this stage......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Even for RTE it’s inexplicable.

In one sense I hope he comes back, because if he does, the organisation as it is will be forced into a change the likes of which they can’t even contemplate.

It’s a political issue now. Public sentiment is against them. They have never seen that in their history and haven’t the first clue how to deal with.

You’d think a broadcaster would be better at the ole PR but seemingly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I told yis all that he was still being paid while providing no service. The tail continues to wag the dog. RTE not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yes, but the people who benefitted from these packages are, ipso facto, gone.

The Committees won't be seeing anyone who is "former" - not Breda, nor Dee, nor Moya. And everyone is waiting to hear how many millions Angela Kerins will extract from the PAC (meaning from the rest of us, obvs.).

Worst case scenario: a SiteServ "Commission of Investigation" 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

Ryan tubridy is Ireland's Ellen Degeneres. A fake persona virtue signalling the "Be kind/kindness " mantra. A fake persona used to forward a career. A fakesness that now means that this fictional persona is now unrepairable, and their entire manufactured career pedalling that "stick" is likewise over

Post edited by sxt on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This was arrogant...

Mr Bakhurst said the huge drop in licence fee payments since the scandal arose did not pose a danger to the broadcaster's existence, and that RTÉ would not run out of funds this year or next.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Kevin Bakhurst said “Well, this is always the case in negotiations, alright. We’re not offering him more than he wants."

Probably sums up RTE's negotiating strategy for the last twenty years. Or else a Freudian slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Breathtaking.

Almost instantly, Bakhurst proves himself an insider with zero interest in reform.

Tubridy continues to recieve the nation's money for work he isn't doing.

At what point is this fraud? At what point is this criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

It's a bit of a farce really. Paying Tubridy for sitting at home and doing nothing and Tubridy wanted more money for sitting at home and doing nothing. So are people supposed to think Bakhurst is great for giving Tubridy a load of cash for sitting at home and doing nothing just not as much as Tubridy has asked for. I wonder how much is Tubridy getting paid for sitting at home and doing nothing. I'm guessing RTE haven't declared that. The pure greed and cheek of it is ridiculous really.

He's not even in contract. He should be off RTEs books and on unemployment benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

We are paying him to sit at home doing nothing, while he still owes us ~150K already for unpaid work, for some car events!!!

Remember in the PAC he said he didn’t want money for nothing re. the Renault gigs? Seems that doesn’t apply to money for nothing when it’s from RTÉ.

At the very least, payments should be suspended until this matter is fully resolved - and I say this as someone who wants NO payment made at the moment. Does anyone really think if it’s decided there’ll be no more Tubridy on RTÉ that any monies paid will be returned?

It reminds me of an expression from an early planning tribunal, namely “Will we get a receipt for this? Will we f*ck”

• Registered Users Posts: 82,600 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The longer he's in RTÉ whether working or not the more will stop paying their TV licence, already down circa €3.5 million since all this kicked off. The €150k is starting to look like chicken feed. If they pay him off despite him having no valid contract there will be even more rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Why is Bakhurst dancing around the amount Tubs is getting paid? Why, instead of saying “Well, this is always the case in negotiations, alright. We’re not offering him more than he wants.", is he not saying, "we sat down and negotiated a payment while he is not actually working, and it is €X amount until a decision has been made". What are they even negotiating, and why? We were led to believe that they were still in talks about whether or not Tubs was even going to be coming back and was no longer being paid. Seeing as rte do not employ him and his contract is finished they should not be sitting in a room and discussing how much to pay him. How long has he been getting paid and how long did he go unpaid for?

Nothing is going to improve under Bakhurst. I would expect the licence fee protests to turn on him soon too if he does not make some drastic changes for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

Tubridy wins no matter what anyway. If they keep him on he keeps his big pay packet. If RTE drop him he gets a massive payout for leaving. Greed gets rewarded. I don't think RTE really care about their reputation anymore. People's opinion of them and Tubridy really couldn't be lower and the scandal still continues. This is a wrong that can't be righted because there is no punishment. Massive waste of licence fee payers money that continues to be wasted. Only thing Bakhurst is doing differently is being honest about the waste while continuing to waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,600 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And in related news, Renault operations here are to be purchased by Nissan Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

I wonder if that decision was made as a result of the negativity surrounding this nothing burger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement