Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Surprised that no online improvements were ever done on the section between Lissarda and Macroom. It will soon be the worst section by a distance. Very surprising given the online improvements in the 90s on the County Kerry section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Killarney-Farranfore is at design stage now, expected to be ready for planning approval late next year. With luck, it should be open before the end of the decade.

There isn't even an active project for Ovens-Macroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

I suppose they were hoping that the north route would happen. It's really the bit between the two bridges that's the issue.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Surely it's Killarney Castleisland? - utter madness putting a road into Farranfore when there's an improved road from the FF side of Castleisland to Tralee...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

DroneHawk has footage from today:

Two observations:

1. The 60 zone is very long.
    2. There’s quite a tailback at the Ballyvourney end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Apogee

cantalach has posted above

Post edited by Apogee on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think we'll just have to put up with Ballyvourney tailbacks. Its only for a month or so and is still leagues better than what we had before with that godawful twisty road which I am NEVER driving on again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

DroneHawk’s video from today? Sorry but I can’t see it and I’ve looked twice. What post number?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apols for confusion - I had just posted DroneHawks video when I noticed you have already posted it above mine. Can't delete posts on this "new" version of boards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Killarney-Farranfore scheme has been ordered to pause after publication of preferred route by Ministerial order. No funding available for next stages.

It hasn't gone down well in Kerry however and I expect plenty of noise from local politicians as you'd come to expect.

Now that the Macroom bypass is open, and Adare, Abbeyfeale and Newcastlewest are all progressing I expect a lot of push behind Killarney-Farranfore and Macroom-Ovens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

1. The terrain between Killarney and Castleisland is very inappropriate for road building
    2. Theres a decent road from 2km north of Farranfore to Tralee which will connect into the proposed Killarney-Farranfore DC. There’s no way that Killarney-Tralee would be faster than via Farranfore given the more direct routing and better road north of Farranfore.

The N22 Farranfore-Killarney scheme as a whole has the potential for lots of new routings around the county with lots of people currently opting to avoid Killarney and the 3rd gear journey between Killarney and Farranfore. If done right it has the chance to take lots of cars off rural/local roads and through small villages and onto a proper fit for purpose road. It’d save a lot of accidents and by extension serious injuries and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

Is the last section west of Toonlane Junction (L3409 Clondrohid) still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well its not even on the list yet , and then a decade minimum assuming no major legal battles ( and thats a big ask )

So i think decades is a fair guess..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

Agreed. There is actually a decent bit of land on either side of the two bridges. A hard shoulder could be added (except for the bridges), turning lanes for the junctions. That would massively improve it. One tractor now and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Yes no ready yet, paper said 27th October for opening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

TII recently admitted that the timeline for major road schemes, from inception to opening, is now up to15 years. Add two years in this case as absolutely nothing is likely to happen until after the next GE and you get to 2040 for the new Ovens to Macroom road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

In that case it might be open before I turn 50. I'd take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

What on earth is causing such a long lead time to deliver structural projects in this country? It wasn’t this slow 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Eamon Ryan?…..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Is the Macroom bypass now finished?

20 years ago when I lived in Macroom it was so badly needed but so many things would always happen to postpone this

edit: okay so I just googled.. unbelievable that this is still not completed fully ... apparently in 2024..🙄

Post edited by Lavinia on

• Advertisement

TII did a comparison in a recent document, showing how each of the phases has lengthened in recent times. If I see it again I'll post it. They also mentioned it at the last Joint Committee on Transport and Communications meeting.

The Public Spending code, which rightly introduced much needed reforms, added a few steps which take time. Changes to TII's own guidelines have probably added to it also. The increased tendency for almost every project to be subject to Judicial Review (and in some cases Court of Appeal and Supreme Court proceedings) is also contributing. And "inertia" (for want of a better word) in the Department of Transport is certainly a factor. The unattractiveness of the projects where all risk is transferred to the contractor may also be contributing.

Personally, I also think that the current government lacks the drive and enthusiasm to get things done. I'd contrast this with the mood that was there in the noughties to get the motorways (and other things done). Not for a moment saying that Government was better, just contracting the two. And I'm also not saying that there is any indication that any likely alternative government would be any better.

The M28 project for example, depending on where you put the start date, will probably have taken either 18/19 years or 25/26 years by the time it reaches completion. I know the Steering Group are blamed for delaying this, but that accounted for just 3 years.

Found it:

Page 26.

An Leas-Chathaoirleach: I am aware there is no typical answer, but there are variables between getting from gate 1 to gate 3 and it could be two years or 12 years.

Mr. Nigel O’Neill: It will not be two years or three years. With project delivery life cycle, eight years is really good. That is getting back to how we used to do things in the mid-2000s when, from origination and conceptual design to the opening ceremony for the road could be seven or eight years.

An Leas-Chathaoirleach: That is as good as it gets.

Mr. Nigel O’Neill: Now we would expect 15 years on average. This is what we are seeing. Some of our greenways are being promoted by local authorities. We are the approving author- ity for greenways. One project spent four years in a judicial process. Any project is spending multiple years getting its approval.

An Leas-Chathaoirleach: So basically we are telling people that we should not expect too many road openings any time soon.

Mr. Nigel O’Neill: No, the committee should not, unless they are willing to back a lot of projects and accept that there will be a high attrition rate. That is my personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Every major project in Ireland was both late and over budget, until the Turkish co won the Ballincollig bye pass. The authorities really didn't want it going to them but had no choice. It came in ahead of time and under budget. Gave everyone a kick up the arse.

This 2020 TII document on Page 8 shows timelines for both the PSC and the TII project phases. Adding the timeblocks together you reach 15 years, however things appear to have slowed down even further. In my previous post Nigel O'Neil (TII Director of the Capital Programme) says "Now we would expect 15 years on average" whereas the 2020 document suggests that 15 years was the max at that time.

https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/projects-and-improvements/major-active-projects.pdf

Post edited by Hibernicis on

That may contain some truth, but that's just the construction phase which is not where the real problems are. And to be fair the majority of major road construction projects in this century completed pretty close to their contracted end date, some ahead of schedule, and a few behind - e.g. the M7 where they underestimated the difficulty of building a motorway in a bog.

The real problem is the 5/6 phases that come prior to construction. These are getting worse and worse.

0 - Scope and Pre-appraisal

1 - Concept and Feasibility

2 - Options Selection

3 - Design and Evaluation

4 - Statutory Processes

5 - Enabling and Procurement

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ADKELMAC

That’s exactly what should be done while we wait for Ovens - Macroom. Should be done in the short term in conjunction with the completion of the slip roads at Carrigaphooca.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Drove the newest section of this last night, lovely bit of road. Barely any sign of the former roundabout at Carrigaphooca, I didn't actually realise where it was until I'd already driven past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not a fan of these roads not having hard shoulders. They should use a concrete barrier in the median on all these roads too. Other than that looks a nice enough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I assume there’s a little hard shoulder area every few kms like the new N4 near Sligo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I prefer the metal ones, just me but I find them less concerting than the concrete wall

Advertisement