Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Our justice system is an utter shambles and this is what they focus on. The garda siochana is not fit for purpose. You'd swear they were still policing 1940s Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ach, I don't think I'm that old but there seems to be a real sense of entitlement around these days. People can't seem to get their head around the fact that some life choices do have consequences and that the world isn't just going to bend to whatever whim you have.

Do you want to have tattoos or do you want to be taken seriously? Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tis hardly anything to do with the fact its possible one of the biggest sh1ttest jobs on the planet, with absolutely sh1te pay and conditions, having to spend everyday on the job dealing with some of societies most dysfunctional fcuked up sh1te....

...and yes, this policy should have been binned years ago, but no, id say its not playing much of a part in the significant drop in interest in the job.....

The tattoos could come in useful if they want to send these gardai undercover to infiltrate crime gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can understand how certain symbols could impact the perception of impartiality so yes in that case it would be important that those symbols be removed- I guess then you’re into the question of what constitutes an impartial symbol? If you have a tattoo of your favourite team and you’re policing a match where that team is playing against another, would that create problems?

I would have said general body art shouldn’t be prohibited with in reason, carefully defined etc but yeah, in general I’m with you OP on this - it’s an outdated approach and risks alienating people who may well be very suited and good at the role of a Guard. They need to stop treating Gardai as children in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I have two pretty substantial tattoos and will get more in the future. I know other software engineers who have lots of tattoos. I'm pretty highly respected in my org and they don't pose any career impediment. Honestly if you're not gonna respect people because of tattoos, that's more an issue with you.

The policy in the Gardai will eventually change, just cause it's a bit stupid at this stage.

So you clearly hold the view that you don’t take anyone with a tattoo seriously?

WOW- what a closed and stereotypical mind you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm amazed it's an issue tbh, unless the tattoo was racist etc., or something like "Fcuk the police".

Like them or loathe them, tattoos are very common across most demographics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Remember a few years ago they wouldn't allow facial hair, this will also change.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

And given the state that Garda recruitment is in at the minute they could allow at least allow the recruits wear long sleeve shirts. It's not like we have 30 degrees all year and they have to wear short sleeves.

Was in a hospital recently and a nurse came out with a full sleeve. One of the doctors in my GPs is the same. My dogs vet is covered in ink.

The garda need to move into the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Depends what they mean by seriously. Like I would obviously respect a person, tattoos or not but I would still have a bias in the back of my head if it came down to a very serious work situation where I'd question the maturity of someone who just got a recent visible tattoo. It would make me wonder why they need the attention, the validation, why they can't handle the expression of their personality within the confines of their own brain and feel the need to permanently mark their skin with an obviously aesthetically inferior ink compared to the beauty of natural skin. However it's a personal choice and I respect that. Doesn't mean I wouldn't think the above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I take the people above seriously enough.

Women weren't allowed in the Gardai, the woman who fell pregnant in the Garda was treated terribly, gay people, people of colour.

The above people wouldn't have been accepted in the past.

Times move on and a modern police force needs to adept.

No point in rolling back now with a load of provisos - your statement was very clear- it didn’t mention things like “unless the lady Garda is “hawt” “ or whatever else you’ve posted above 🤪

“Do you want to have tattoos or do you want to be taken seriously? Pick one.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gardai are allowed have them if they're covered by a long sleeve shirt, these must have been visible on hands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Some of the most serious, upright, trustworthy and professional people I know are inked. Stupid rule. As long as the visible tattoos don't have egregiously offensive wording, does anyone give a sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ Cup

That's absolutely ridiculous, but I'm even more amazed by the suggestion that they can re-join if they get their tattoos removed. Here, you can re-join if you get a painful, expensive treatment that isn't even guaranteed to work.

I have scars from trying to get a tattoo removed professionally a a laser clinic, and it's one that I got on my ankle with I was 14. (I wish I had more sense / the tattoo guy had asked for ID at the time, but that's as it is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone in their 20s with the idea of spending money getting a tattoo should stop and think.

Think instead about putting the money into stocks of companies that make tattoo removal technology and services.

Because in 20 years time after this tattoo fad is over and the young folks with the tattoos now have a change of heart, that will be very lucrative business.

You don't see vulnerability when you see these? That guy with the classical bust,maybe Marcus Aurelius, makes me think ego, prideful, nationalism(potential to be racist?), fake stoicism, probably lacks the discipline. First impressions, probably has no material impact 99% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Because you can’t be taken seriously if you have tattoos. Give me a fcukin break.

• Advertisement

Real police. Not like our glorified supermarket security Garda force.

This is more a reflection on you and your biases than anything. People don’t get tattoos for attention or validation, I didn’t anyway. I got them because I wanted them, simple as.

Your post just stinks of a judgemental, Stone Age view that tattoos means something inferior. Sort out your own insecurities first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm in my thirties, have at least two more tattoos planned. Equally I know people in their forties who still get tattoos. Imho, it's here to stay. Check nations like Italy where's it's been the norm to get tattoos.

Hold on…you see Marcus Aurelius and you think a potential racist? That’s some mental leap and jump to come to that kind or moronic conclusion.

I am just being honest here, we have stone age brains!

The idea of police is that they are uniformed, indistinguishable, void of visible vulnerability. Also important that there are no signs of political bias, so that there cannot be even a perception of the personal views of an individual garda.

Not a view on Marcus Aurelius, it's a view on a police officer who would openly display an image of a vaunted historic character, possibly associated with their heritage.

How the hell are tattoos a sign of visible vulnerability? Obviously if one had a politically motivated tattoo (insert whatever you want here), that can be dealt with.

You however are putting all tattoos into the same category. You are indeed being honest, you’re judging people on how they look. That says more about you than folks with tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How do you feel about Garda marching in the LGBT parade or wearing there uniform at their wedding?

And what is the problem with that then? Because I’m struggling to see any point of view other than you see tattoos, and you have an automatic biased applied to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This is kind of what I mean. People free to get tattoos if they want. It's the expectation that everyone else has like to pat them on the back for it that is perplexing. If people are too sensitive not to be able to deal with others not liking their tattoos, maybe they shouldn't get them in the first place?

There is a certain irony in accusing someone of having a stereotypical mind when every second fashion victim is festooned with tats these days.

Advertisement