Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herblain park kilcohan

Options
  • 11-08-2023 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Can any one tell me what is this area like to live in please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

To be frank i would stay well away from that area. Usually local knowledge is correct and that whole area is dog rough. Dont take my word for it. Any day of the week you will see the Guards called to domestic disputes, drug deals, fires and even assaults. Its simply not a good area and there are a lot of people there who dont work and have lots of time on their hands..

Sadly this element has spread to parts of St Johns Park. There was a time when Johns Park was a very nice community but when certain families moved in, that changed. Not all parts but a couple of them. Look at the houses for Sale there...then look at the neighbours either side of that house. Big red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Best to just go for a walk out through the area and form your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Scathing description there….just wondering why you said ‘don’t take my word for it’ in the third sentence….?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,416 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...sadly, its more or less the truth, im actually from one of the most dodgiest area of the town, and i wouldn't recommend anyone to move here, sometimes these areas are just fine for those of us that actually come from these areas, but new people moving in are seriously rolling the dice, it would more than likely end in tears, and a lot of mental distress, keep looking op, i understand the housing markets are completely fcuked at the moment, and wont be resolved anytime soon, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Because inevitably people jump on that description because they happen to live in one of the few decent pockets of that area. So I invite anyone who wants to live there to do some serious research before commiting. There is a reason some estates have a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Sometimes someone from an area sees more problems than newcomers. Never leaving "the town" behind. Friends of mine live in SHP and are quite happy there.It is a local authority extate, with all the baggage that carries. Others I know live opposite and have foreign neighbours and are happy enough.. Condemning the whole of Kilcohan is a bit much.The place is probably what you make of it..

..and sometimes experience tells you otherwise, i can see it in my own neighborhood, long term, highly dysfunctional social problems, generational traumas etc etc, this became extremely noticeable during covid, in the form of an increase in domestic dysfunctions, including a significant increase in the consumption of alcohol and drugs etc, leading to even more dysfunctions. the unfortunate thing with such complexities is, it sometimes takes time for these dysfunctions to present themselves, by that stage people may have set up shop, and moving simply becomes impossible, be very very wary of such, again, im potentially from an area that even worse than shp, potentially!

what happens in such situations, particularly when moving simply becomes impossible, is that peoples mental health starts to slid, and fairly quickly, do you really wanna roll that dice! there are parts of my neighborhood nobody can move into, not even me, as id be extremely concerned for my well being, particularly my mental health

yes, you ll find many if not most residents are just normal folk, with no serious dysfunctions attached but never ever underestimate the damage minorities can cause!

...this is in fact the reality in some dysfunctional neighborhoods, never ever take that chance, try find the best you can afford, before settling, as its just simply not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

Thank you for the honest answer. Yes cheaper prices there, but if it's like that it's not worth it. Don't want Gaurds and drugs etc around where I live

...again, as others have said, dont completely rule it out, finding affordable accommodation, within your budget, could be next to impossible, but do definitely consider your options, we truly have wreaked our property markets, im sure there are fantastic people living in the area, as there is in my own, but....

best of luck, some sh1te time to be looking....

Hey thanks for the honest advice. To be honest I've never lived in presidently council house area, or a so called rough part of town. But I don't live in town in appartmebt wert drug addicts used to come in and use there drugs in the hallways, and it made me feel very unsafe and mental health was affected alot , feeling someone would break in. I would not risk living in such an area because I don't want that fear of someone breaking and robbing me. But there is great families in these areas from what I've seen. No doubt about it , but yes I agree if you can afford and can manage to move to a area which doesn't have this kind of problems it's better off , no need to worry. Thanks again for your insight on this

• Advertisement

..ah shur all areas have their sh1te unfortunately, sometimes more affluent areas can in fact experience more burglaries, as these are the areas where more wealth is, or perceived to be, theres simply no guarantees in this business, everywhere is a risk, but....

Just curious about your comment how come the area if you've lived there all your life is ok, but not for new people coming in.

I have a friend who moved to ballybeg and really enjoys and said the neighbors are very nice. I think it's worth but he did warn me because you never know you are neighbours might be. That's the problem n

theres generally very complex dynamics in such areas, i know my neighbors very well, and they know me, i even know some of the local criminals, we all know each other, and strangely enough, we all kinna get on, but from someone coming in, the dynamics may not be the same, its a risk, you could slot in very well, and one or two could simply cause you hell, it really is a risk....

as your mate said, you just never know, you could get very lucky, yet on the other hand...

Advertisement