Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

You can say it over and over again and again. If NATO never existed, Putin would still have invaded Ukraine, its a part of his mad dream project to restore the Russian Empire, that historically has existed in his head. if not NATO, then he would have invented a reason.....a referendum or such like, because that's what he does. Aside from the usual "Red Lines and Medvedev hot air" when Finland joined NATO, it went by practically unnoticed, and has vanished from TheKremlinYap even.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs responding to it's Russian counterpart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Any day now Russia will surrender and will be beaten back . The counter offensive is on track to accomplish this .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; the war is going so well for Russia that they raised the conscription age and they are requesting employees to go work for free to help with production volume which the defence minister has stated needs to be maintained higher due to attrition at the front...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

One way or the other Putin has doomed Russia. What ever shape or form Russia will take after the war, it will never return to its pre invasion "Glory". That day has gone, and every day that passes it draws further away. Sure it will drag on, but entirely dependent on scraps from Xi's table, or sales or its oil and gas at rock bottom prices, and all the time squeezing the Russian population into smaller and smaller space's. For sure, Putin is not winning on any front.

• Advertisement

Ukraine will be victorious soon its a mighty well funded and trained army .

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Gorbachev has apparently given conflicting accounts. You can read the US government archives I linked if you like, nothing to do with Russia propaganda that I know of.

What’s your next Russian propaganda talking point

That's just incredibly rude and dismissive.

There have been no genuine indications Putin's administration wants to end the war.

Earlier this year a US intelligence leak found that:

The analysis concludes that, even if Ukraine recaptures “significant” amounts of territory and inflicts “unsustainable losses on Russian forces,” an outcome U.S. intelligence finds unlikely, the nation’s gains would not lead to peace talks.

Basically Putin will keep going until his military is no longer able to do the job or some domestic situation causes him to change course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Should never have happened,

What a ridiculous thing to do to child

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In other news..

'US Military Launches Three-Day Special Military Mission into Canada Amid Escalating Tensions

In an unprecedented move, the US military has launched a three-day special military mission into Canada amidst escalating tensions along the shared border. The operation comes in response to President Trump's claims of Canada's alleged allegiance to foreign powers and persecution of US populations in Alaska and the northern regions.

The military incursion has sparked widespread concern, as it signifies a significant escalation in hostilities between the two neighboring nations. US special forces are now attempting to take government buildings in Ottawa. The international community closely watches the situation, anxious about the potential consequences of this military action.

As the three-day window unfolds, diplomatic efforts to defuse the situation are strained, but crucial. Global leaders urgently call for an immediate ceasefire and constructive dialogue to prevent further escalation and find a peaceful resolution to the crisis. The UK has pledged to support Canada with whatever means available.

The world awaits the outcome of this high-stakes mission, hoping for a de-escalation of tensions and a return to stability in the once-amicable relationship between the United States and Canada.'

Unthinkabke, I know but this is the equivalent of what Putin has done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Multiple posts/replies deleted.

@grumpyperson - Don't post in this thread again.

We desperately need to put more money and munitions into continuing the war in Ukraine and helping those effected by the war whatever the cost .

There is a massive shortage of ammunition not just in Ukraine but across NATO ,and the majority of old Soviet equipment and weapons has already been given, going forward America will be pretty much the only one able to send equipment and munitions.

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lets hope the US sends F16 's to finish the job and move into Russia after the Russian army retreats .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

In no context in Irish society can you hold somebody's racial origin/nationality against them to exclude them from a commercial activity. Its not excessive to award against that and €1,500 isn't a fortune.

Its been a PR disaster in the world of tennis with players like Medvedev being restricted at times. It doesn't play well with ordinary people aren't in the grip of war hysteria.

Post edited by growleaves on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

I would agree with you but only partly. First, "Russian" is not a racial category, it's more nationality or maybe ethnic origin (but people with Russian passports may be from many ethnicities within the Russian Federation). Second, I would be happier is the €1,500 were simply a fine on the guilty party, and perhaps it should have been €15,000 to act as a deterrent. I'm a little uneasy at the way money seems to "compensate" for an injustice, other than in cases whare the injustice has had specific financial costs.

F16s aren't going to change anything in Ukraine, unfortunately,it's turned into a meat grinder for both sides ,it's ground forces they need

## Mod Note ##

No link/article dumps

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

The Russian land grab in Ukraine gets worse. What is particularly shocking is what is happening in Mariupol. Some Russians are so taken in by Kremlin propaganda that they are willing to invest all they have in buying a flash new apartment with a sea view. Never mind the bodies buried under the foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What ammunition exactly is there a shortage of? Is this the whole shortage of unguided 155 shells issue again? The EU is planning to procure a million shells for Ukraine. Thats not nothing, but again has to be seen in the context of the US / EU and indeed Ukraine having a preference for more expensive guided ammunition

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder if there is some Russian weak spot that Ukraine could target to cripple their efforts?

I mean USAAF rightly attacked the ball bearing plants in Germany in WW2 (mainly located in one area) to cripple the war effort.

'After the war, interviews with A Speer revealed that the October 14th attack destroyed almost forty percent of Schweinfurt’s total production capacity. If the bombers had returned shortly thereafter, he concluded, German armament production would have been at a standstill.'

Seems Wagner are being kicked out of Belarus and lukashenko has asked for talks with Warsaw.

Kerch bridge seems to have been bombed again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Lukashenko assumed/was part of the deal that Russia would pay Wagners salaries, camp costs etc. and when he was told he'd have to foot the bill himself he told 'em to sod off (beyond the handful used to train his soldiers). I think in a decade or two when the real deal details leaks we'll find out what was there.

I’m guessing we can already assume what their need was to be placed as close to nato borders as possible. And of all border areas, the one closest linking Belarus to Kaliningrad.

I would hazard it was a psychological game against the west to test their reaction.

Poland placing 10 thousand troops at the border and closing off most crossings doesn’t really help Belarus in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's getting tremendously boring looking at media report the Russian "terrorist attack" line every time Ukraine launches a drone or missile.

Looks like the current attacks on the bridge have been foiled but it would great to see that thing come crashing down and I honestly couldn't give a shte how many "innocent" Russians are on it.

Well, I wouldn’t go that far. There are people that have nothing to do with it, I.e children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well the Russians have already gone "that far" and the only way I see this war ending is for the Russian public to start getting it as bad as the Ukrainian public.

Can't be dealing with this sht of the Russians bawling like the US and British did when a small few people on home soil were killed by people from countries they bombed to oblivion.

Ide rather no one died but the people who are putting Russian children at risk and the people getting Russian children killed are the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Post edited by ilkhanid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

The truth is, Russia has done an excellent job on the battlefield. But western propaganda will always deny this fact.

This war was essentially over at the back end of last year. Russia heavily fortified their positions through the winter, and now the Ukrainians/Nato are facing a near impenetrable defensive line. It is basically a suicide mission trying to advance through those lines. It doesn't matter how much weapons or materiel is given to the Ukrainians, as they are facing an impossible task now!

And if Russia continue to bleed the Ukrainian numbers at current rates, they may eventually decide to take even more territory in the future. This will leave Ukraine in a very poor position if they ever decide to come back to the negotiating table.

Advertisement