Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dairy boom.Can we officially say its over

Options
  • 12-08-2023 10:25am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Production flatlining,costs escalating,regulations squeezing ,and the biggest thing work pressure.i see very little appetite for extra cows around west cork.is the boom over.i would have serious concerns about anyone borrowing anything over 2 k a cow to get into cows at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Re the production flat-lining in 22/23 their was more cows than ever calved down and like you said production is decreasing coupled with increased meal going in think it's at 5% this year to date over 22, we where told when herds matured and ebi's increased their would be a fair lift nationally from this alone but it hasn't taken place....

Weather patterns are probably to blame, we need goldilocks type weather here for our grass-based system to deliver not to wet/not to dry just the right amount of rain and good calm February/March months to get cows out, it's just not happening like the above the past few years and it's really showing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If sexed semen means extra dairy heifers, rather than worthless bull calves, will that mean a larger herd size? And extra cows in the country overall?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Lorne Armstrong

Any year if I had more dairy hefiers than needed in my herd it ment I had the ability to cull more cows for scc or bad feet or age etc. Instead of increasing cows.

You don't have to put a dairy hefier in calf. Always found empty heifers easy to fatten off grass for factory before having to house for a 2nd winter.

With the price and conception rate of sexed semen. You would be slow in using it for anything more than just for your own replacements rather than trying to sell on hefier calves for example.

It's going to be derogation and the nitrates banding and what ever they can think of next is the limiting factor at the moment to stop dairy expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

Conception rates with sexed semen on heifers moderate from what I hear this year. Lot of heifers being scanned around now. 50% or over is a good result.

• Advertisement

If you find you had to go in with extra meal or silage whatever over the last few years cause of wet,dry,cold weather.

Would ( I don't mean you specifically)you ever consider blaming yourself maybe for milking too many cows for the land type you have rather than blaming the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Never had a problem dry weather, bring it on. Weather like this last couple of weeks is bad for us, nothing to do with stocking rate. Heavy land .

Someone in our discussion group farms on top of gravelly land . No amount of rain would wet the place.

If he got more than a week of dry weather in the summer he would burn up. Spent most of last summer feeding bales .

This year suits him down to the ground. But he is stocked to the max so has very little surplus bales taken off land so when dry weather hits next year he is buying in extra feed.

Would he not be better off with a few less cows and take advantage of the wet summer that suits his farm and build surplus feed for an whenever the next dry summer comes.

It's horses for courses type secanrio.

My thinking is normally when cows go out in the spring they shouldn't be back getting silage until they're rehoused in the autumn. This normally works out OK, except in a year like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Possibly like many coastal farms, needs a change of grass varieties, deeper roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

6 Oat Milks to 4 Cows milk Cartons in the Fridge at work. It's amazing how quickly the Dairy alternatives have gotten hold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

That could also be real milk getting consumed more frequently than the alternatives. My office doesn't even stock alternatives and flies through the real stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thats it. How often are the cartons replaced or dumped

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

No they are not being dumped, that's the daily delivery to the office now.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Woman in front of me in aldi today buying 7 x 3litres of milk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As the researchers might say, n=1 is not exactly a large sample size 😀

I’ve never seen anything only milk milk in the office I work in part-time. But I’m not going to extract any meaning from that. I’d suggest the only thing you can accurately say is that oat milk is currently more popular than milk milk with the people I work with.

And in the wider world, oat milk doesn’t seem that popular if Oatly is anything to go by:

“Plant-based milk substitute firm Oatly cuts its sales outlook“

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-41192668.html

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭green daries

Using 24 litres a week here every week and that's in a reasonable size family milk alternatives are dying on there feet.......going the same way as the fake meat .....false advertising and zealots pushing only get you so far before the facts and pass poor nutrional values of the alternatives catches up ......not to mention the fact that its far more environmentally unsustainable than just good old-fashioned milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭green daries

Just to add a fad is just that ...a fad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Taking the helicopter view of industry, I see the biggest concerns to profitability at the moment are

1. Margin erosion. Falling milk price coupled with rising and stubbornly high input prices

2. Rising interest rates. Making servicing debt for some operations more tricky

3. Nitrates. With dero possibility going an banding, this will reduce the numbers that many herds can carry

4. Labour. Skilled and reliable labour is hard to get and even trickier to retain. This is of the biggest concern to herds once they pass 100 cows.

5. Calf issue. Discussed to death here.

Think back to the gold rush it was the suppliers that made the fortune, mining the miners. As the chap in the knackery lorry said this spring, when asked why they were so busy, the reply was short and snappy - " Teagasc and Concrete"

Long term there is a future for many that can get over the next few tough years. Finding the sweet spot will be key to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

What kind of people do you work with? They sound a bit outside of the normal...

• Advertisement

Dairy boom probably ended in the 80s and is in steady decline since. There will be bigger farms and less of them. The price is just too low to justify the whole thing as there are so many better opportunities for young people now.

My father recommended part time farming with a nice job to me. That was grand until he had a spare dairy farm he was trying to offload.

Dairying will do me fine until I hit my 60's and I'll probably leave it at that. Will be educating the young lads and recommending hobby farming just to feed the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly it’s the same in many other admin canteens. Soya, Oaty & low fat cow are the only options due to certain diets/trends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,655 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not sure if bigger farms are the answer. Labour will be the major limiting factor. At present minimum wage is 11.3/hour and we will probably see it hit 12 hour next year as it targets the living wage rate

Anybody working on a dairy farm milking will want 10-20% minimum above that. 80-120 cows is a sweet spot for a lone operator with minimal casual labour other than contractors for larger jobs.

Larger farms as well are often based on rented land. This will impact return.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bigger operations are going the Larry Goodman route, visa sponsored labour ment to be 30000 a year plus salary but you then get back 6-8k in rent when your housing them in cash 😉, I'd rather s**te in my hand and clap then have to resort to the above, got my fill of them lads working with them out in Australia,

The wife is the same here with her skim sh1t. Pure water. Lactose intolerance is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I hope so. They’re really taking the piss around here. Kick in the arse might bring them back to earth.

Teagasc I understand, what was his angle with concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Falls slips and too much stock indoors was the angle

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Not sure is it lactose intolerance but for the last 10 years would have a big bowl of porridge made with milk. I the last 6 months can't tolerate it giving me indigestion for the day. It started by not being able to use strathroy milk and now it seems to be all milk except for raw milk. So whatever the processors are doing to it, I'll stick to raw organic milk for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Interesting...would it be the porridge by any chance

Used to have it regularly for breakfast as a teenager and in 20s etc but lately it's repeating on me...I drink loads of milk and it causes no issue so I concluded porridge

Interestingly I can eat everything else including not so healthy with no issues either

Advertisement