Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Another facet of overpopulation from the textbook.

Increasing violence due to both financial unviability of a social structure, in this case policing, and societal stress at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's just down to inner city scumbags, all issues in the city centre have always been down to this. It has always been the same, mostly fine for everyone but the rough element of townies having a presence there. The culture of these people is just to go around starting trouble and wrecking stuff.

I'm on the "it used to be much rougher" side of things, far more fights back in the 90s and the city was much more of a run down kip. I quite like it now.

I don't think so.

It feels and looks worse than before, and whereas the likes of certain alleys and streets were always dodgy, it's spread right across the whole inner city.

The likes of the boardwalks along the quays are like running a gauntlet of gangs, just for one.

Even the problems that you'd associate with the night have seeped into broad daylight.

Whatever about reported statistics, anyone familiar with the city over a long period of time can see the difference.

I guess I must be blind to it, I'm in the city centre all the time and it seems the same as it ever was. I don't know why anyone would go near the boardwalk if it's one of the shittier parts of the city. Stick to the nice parts that can be enjoyed. I'm about to go to Trinity to have a couple of beers on the grass and then dinner on Dawson St followed by more drinks in Smithfield. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Won’t reference the case as it’s still live but it’s another case of the attackers kicking someone in the head on the ground, seems a new trend in recent years. Should be charged with attempted murder.

• Advertisement

It's one of these things that can be very subjective.

For what it's worth, I know of more than a handful of people who avoid the city like the plague now. If I had to put a time frame on it, this would have begun maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

I wouldn't be that averse, but to a lot of people, apparently, it's just not worth the potential trouble, day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Look, Helen McEntee is doing a great job, ok, and anyone suggesting otherwise will be outed as a misogynist by the Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I went last week to Temple bar area, didn't go for so long, parked at Fleet street..

couldnt beliebve that they changed the parking system, the gates and doors are closed all the time except when a person lets a car by car to go in, and when you pay to go out otherwise gates are closed all the time.. talked to the man who was working there at the tickets counter.. he said they had to as the garage would be full of junkies..

where is this city going???...............

that's just weird though if they're avoiding the city because of potential attacks or whatever, 100s of 1000s of people pass through the place every week with no issues. My parents who are around 70 had their friends over from Sweden last week and they loved it, took them all around the city centre. Now they wouldn't go out of their way to bring them to Talbot St or the Boardwalk, but if you know Dublin you'll know loads of nice parts you can enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

party donators and powerful lobbyists

Who are they? Or what are they?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement

In theory I agree, but it's very theoretical and complicated and controversial.

And people are resistant to change.

So appropriate leadership is required.

And what could that possibly amount to?

Prison spaces aside, continued lack of police presence socially is ludicrous.

That's the first and foremost cultural shift that must come into effect, and despite all the media coverage, outcry, claims of improvement etc etc., it's as bad as it's ever been.

No change, no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ah but sure other cities are just as bad...

Nothing to see here...

I got off the Dart at Connolly Station on Wednesday.

Coming down the escalators, there was the standard junkie insulting and harassing commuters etc.

I've never NOT seen that, no big deal really. You just have to put up with them calling you a "snob", cause apparently if you don't sleep rough in the street you're a "snob" that was born with a silver spoon in their mouth (overlooking the fact they all get state payments the equivalent of a substantial salary for anyone in service industry).

Then I see this dude running across the Luas lines with blood pouring down his face.

Two women are chasing after him, and three men en tow.

Don't know what that was about but clearly the dude with the bloody face was assaulted and was running, presumably and potentially for his life.

I look around in every direction, amidst this cageless zoo, not a police officer to be seen.

I make my way down Talbot St.

There's about five drunkards sat around street decor/shrubbery, basically trying to make eye contact with anyone they can to initiate some kind of interaction.

And then that repeats itself all the way down to O'Connell St, gangs of drunks and junkie's, packs of little girls basically wearing underwear only from the waist down with skin-cancerous prone looking tanned skin, and of course the Romanians in their usual hang out area, at least 50% of whom were pregnant.

Moving onto Henry street was like re-entering civilization.

I could continue but you've got the idea.

So yeah, "ghetto"?

"Hyper-active ghetto" may be more appropriate.

Oh yeah, and not a single police officer to be seen amongst that carnage the entire time.

You're wandering around a part of the city that has always been rough though, I don't get why everyone's so surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't ever remember O'Connell Street being the way it is now. At 2am on a Saturday night back in the day it was dodgy, but not so much during the day or evening.

Do you have any links to tourists getting hospitalised regularly from 20 years ago?

One aspect you appear to ignore as well is that you can probably tell the skangers from a mile away. Your average tourist probably can't until it's too late

I don't find o connell st dodgy at all though, although I was held up by 2 scumbags with a syringe there in about 1996, but I'm of the view that dublin used to be a lot rougher

One incident I can think of is a Swedish guy getting kicked to death in Wexford about 20 years ago, and that Italian kid getting bottled and paralysed in fairview Park

Do you work for your wan McEntee by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It a much much worse area than 5-10yrs ago

Anyone with experience there throughout the period knows that

Of course it always had an edge but anybody proclaiming its always been this bad is uninformed

She should. For all the effort you're putting in. If only she put in as much for her own job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

There's definitely a Battered Wife Syndrome when it comes to some people's attitude of "sure just stay in the nice safe parts and you'll be fine", because those nice safe parts are getting smaller all the time. I also think there's several posters here (who unfortunately have the ear of the mods it seems) that are just baiting people and winding them up, so when you hear "sure it's grand" over and over you're better off just ignoring it.

Anyways, the defence forces came out with a statement admitting they cannot defend the country as they are underfunded, undermanned and underequipped:

Defence Forces admit they cannot meaningfully defend Ireland | Independent.ie

I believe the Gardai should make a similar statement, there aren't many who would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Of course there are! The media would do nothing else if they reported every assault, robbery and theft that happens in Dublin everyday.

Literally hundreds every week, do people not know this?

What does Helen McEntee have to do with day to day policing?

Gardai are currently having a vote of no confidence in the commissioner, and representative bodies have been talking about lack of resources and members and equipment (bodycams in particular) for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Imagine asking such a question with a straight face. lmao

Seriously?

do you think politicians should be able to dictate how a police force works? Interference in policing by politicians is something that happens in corrupt countries, not modern first world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

3 English lads beaten and robbed at 10pm in Fownes St last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

Pretty std form for most public services in this country. However, one has to wonder about whether the most effective use is made of existing resources at present. It always amazes me when the resources are always found to amply police any visiting VIP, sporting or entertainment event or protest and yet not a Garda is available to support an ordinary Joe in his time of need. All about priorities I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yes but if the Garda Commissioner came out and specifically said that they cannot enforce law and order, then the government would have to react. And if some people think that's hyperbole then they don't grasp how frayed the social contract has become in certain parts of the country, and how underreported crime and anti-social behaviour has become.

No one is advocating for day to day operations to be meddled with and absolving ministers of responsibility over their remit is a road to disaster, responsibility goes upwards if TD's are going to accept ministerial positions then they should be held accountable as conditions deteriorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement