Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

It's big sensibles.

The smaller the gardai are, the more ferocious they become.

Obvious joking aside, which I seem to have to spell out, reducing the height restrictions on gardai was always silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Agree on everything besides the GSOC point, Gardai must be subject to independent investigation even if it is a formality which I'm sure the case of the Gardai who chased those 3 scumbags will be. We must be very careful when expanding Garda authority so as not create a free for all of authority with little oversight, especially when free speech and expression is under such threat at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I think you'll find you're possibly wrong in your assertion in that it's not xenophobia in the slightest. I was referring to a specific group of readily identifiable Romany that another poster on their travels saw in the city. Any city Garda will fill ya in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nothing to do with your woke rubbish. Banners used to have a height restriction of 5'5, of course they could do the job.

she has weapons to do her job, she may be missing some colleagues is all.

Do you think luas security guards assault people?

You don't understand policing at all, if you think AGS just need big men 🙄

• Advertisement

Plenty of people who are not 6'5 can be a police man. You don't understand policing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,881 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What are banners ?

just copped it , ban Gardaí ?

Sorry, I'm old school!

Yes, banners are ban garda, not supposed to be used anymore.....everyone is a Garda😁🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,881 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No harm . I thought it was a Dublin thing till my brain kicked in

• Advertisement

You don't even respect them yourself calling them a banner.

What do you think of these potential banners? What policing could they do? They'd be great at sitting at a desk alright, stamping some passport applications.

Or we could have a police force like in Spain, not many people are going to mess with those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Bruh, there's "rough", and there's downright chaos. I literally couldn't walk 50 paces without confronting another gang of drunks stood in a doorway or outside a shopping area.

And just FYI I wasn't "wandering", I was hurriedly traversing.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Curious. My first gaff was on portland Street north. Next was by the ifsc (close to Talbot street). After that was the old mill in phibsboro. Never a jot of an issue and I walked everywhere.

Are there problems. Yep. I concor. Bad as you make out, nope.

Excuse me? All B/Gardai were called banners until recently, believe me I have the height of respect for them 😁

You're saying that women cannot police?

Women have been in AGS since 1959 & have and are an integral part of policing.

Why do you think they cannot?

Coppers don't want to mix it up with scrotes, that's my current conclusion.

Do they have batons? Do they have tasers? They have handcuffs I assume.

Bunch of scrotes fighting, they're not equipped to intervene, and they don't have political backing if they do (re coppers prosecuted for chasing scrotes driving the wrong side of a motorway........ words aren't sufficient).

This is where politicians come into the fold.

I honestly wonder if you live in Ireland.

you know nothing of how anything works, and no idea about Gardai

how underreported crime and anti-social behaviour has become.

This is the brutal reality.

And unfortunately, I'm somewhat of an exception.

I grew up in an environment where if the law was broken, you reported it. You didn't humor it or placate it, you reported it, or you might find yourself the wrong side of it.

My local police office have me on file as a "complainer" cause I reported:

1) group of drunken imbeciles reeking havoc locally, including defecating publicly

2) a drunk trying to break into my apartment building (he later successfully kicked in two doors after they didn't respond to the call)

3) bunch of drunks brawling in public near a kids play area

4) drunken youths smashing bottles and intimidating passers by outside my building

etc. (several more)

All these things, an average member of the public will simply allow to happen.

I reflexively report them, thus I'm a "complainer" according to local coppers.

And the irony is, I live in a relatively good area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭creedp

A friend lives on quays and are having regular problems with druggies camping out outside door complete with used syringes scattered everywhere. Gf afraid to step over these people to leave her home. No point contacting Gardai however as each time told no Garda available to deal with issue even though one of the biggest Garda Stns in the country is only down the road. What chance do people have in more remote locations?

Something wrong here IMO, where are all these Gardai? And yet if there is a concert on, the place is teeming with them. It's down to priorities IMO and it would appear community policing and keeping the streets safe have simply fallen off the priority list altogether

Find me an article or a job description that calls a female Garda a "banner".

I didn't say that women cannot police.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Listen, everybody calls female police banners in Ireland. All the irishings know it.

The cracks are 100 kilometres per hour, as we say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Banners" were stuck to making tea and indoor duties for years after they were allowed to join. They also had to quit if they got pregnant. So not quite the same. And while I do believe some female Gardai are well able for the job, some more so than some men, most don't have the physical attributes required for when the incidentn inevitably turns violent. I wrestled with a drunk coked bouncer one night, took 5 of us to bring him down. I'm only 5'6" myself, but it took me and 4 women to get him to the ground. When backup came, we let him up and he started off again, took 2 big men to plant him.

Again, there are female Gardai who are just as hard and able for it, but in general most wouldn't be able for it when push comes to shove. But that's just my experience. I also wish they never got rid of the height restriction, because then maybe I wouldn't have made a massive ~10 year mistake. Very few female Gardai have the "presence" that is oft times required. I also didn't have it.

You could say that we could split the force, have the smaller members doing office duties. But that's inequality. I'd be annoyed if I was getting paid the same as someone who doesn't do the worst parts of the job, ie: responding to/dealing with incidents/investigations. But all of that doesn't matter when the system is designed to punish Gardai for having the cheek to do their jobs.

McEntee is more interested in pushing through horrendous incomplete legislation that could basically make thought crime a thing instead of pushing for body cams (which we wanted for years before I quit over 7 years ago), pushing for stronger legislation to enfore law, pushing for a new prison to be built, arranging proper equipment, taking up a car manufacturer's offer to make custom versions of their cars as patrol cars instead of stick lights and sirens on a standard i-fupping-30 because someone in procurement knows someone working for Hyundai. She could have pushed for a fit for purpose uniform that doesn't make the members look like tv police.

I can't see how any of this will improve in the short term, because everyone in a position of power to enact any change can't see past their own careers and bank accounts. And these same people will NEVER be held to account for causing this mess. Fingers still crossed for that lotto win so I can completly withdraw from society and smile while it burns down around my apocalypse ready plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

When are you talking that you lived in D1? The problems with out of control gangs of young fellas doing whatever takes their fancy has really only blown up since town was deserted during Covid. They had the streets to themselves then and with no Garda presence, they still do.

What's the UK situation?

I agree, eventually folk are simply going to have to start standing up for themselves - which puts them on the wrong side of the law (as an officer recently explained to me).

The situation is a mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Work in d1. By the point. Stroll down Talbot street regularly, 5 lamps, sheriff street.

Maybe I'm lucky, but no issues. And I use every lane for shortcuts.

What is it about, or what of the post do you disagree with?

😂😂😂😂

Banners is a nickname for Bangarda, which upon until about 20 years ago, was the official title for female police in Ireland. I'm old school.

You said they would be great sitting in an office stamping passport forms, women can police just as well as men.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Born raised and live just off western way, so D1/D7 border, haven't seen this dystopian mad Max situation you're talking about. Load of lads drinking and smoking in Dorset st flats but they generally don't venture outside there, never get so much as a glance when I wander home drunk by constitution hill, queen st, Sheridan court, Henrietta st or hardwicke st.

You were on the regular.

There are plenty of women well able for the streets, you should know policing is about far more than brute force, particularly if you were shorter yourself.

There are a lot of different facets to policing then wrestling public order prisoners

Oh you're proving how old school you are with your logic that 5 foot pipsqueaks can police Dublin City Centre properly.

I was referring to the article that said 50% of applicants failed thr Garda fitness test (which is not that demanding from reading into it). All they're good for is sitting in the station. If a police officer cannot pass the fitness test then they've no business policing our streets. And that goes for all Gardai, male or female. They should be required to pass that test every 2 or 3 years, and if they fail they are put on desk duty til they can regain their fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree, and I thought I alluded to as much, but that's no good when push comes to shove. Which it does, quite often. At the very least, every member should pass the fitness test every year, but likewise AGS need to assign time and resources to correct training, similar to what the RSU/ERU have. I also wouldn't say that all members are trained in self defence. We did a few hours in Templemore learning moves that are basically unusable in real life unless you're already a black belt in that area. That was it, no further follow ups or ongoing training.

Problem is the scummy public know that there's little to nothing going to happen them for hassling or assaulting AGS, whereas previuosly the big lumps of men that were Gardai back in the day would hammer the shyte out of you for looking wrongly at them, so the fear kept it quiet. That doesn't happen now. So now is the time for the big lumps of men to return and put some manners on the things we call troubled youths. But that won't happen either, because feelings are more important.

Small police have their places. We don't need small police right now. One of my biggest worries is that I would end up getting one of my colleagues into trouble due to my lack of strength or authority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement