Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesnt Ireland have a proper gardening show ?

Options
  • 22-05-2023 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

The thread on supergarden got me thinking.

Scotland have beachgrove, England have Gardeners world (Australia too).

We get the absolute scutter that is supergarden?

Surly RTE could put together something seasonal like GW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

When rte have had a show recently, it always seems to be a competition. Never just for the love of gardening. That super garden show is ridiculous in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I guess they have to put their edge on it, to make it different, so hence the competition. The BBC will do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are working in an environment where everything has to be high speed, high pressure, living in Dublin, don't stop peddling, then turning the joy of a garden into a short term competition probably makes sense. And for the people with no notion of waiting for things to grow, watching the seasons, tending plants, being philosophical about failures, slowly building a garden to suit current needs, this is the kind of thing that they want. Instant satisfaction.

I can look at my own garden that we have been rescuing for about 3 years and either see what has still to be done, and the dodgy bits that have been done but temporarily abandoned while different bits are rescued, or I can see what has been achieved, and enjoy it. The latter way changes mindset and is much the most satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They used to have one called Greenfingers about 30 years ago but I'm not sure how long it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

Good old Greenfingers with Gerry Daly.

There's always been variations of gardening programs since over the years.

Why Supergarden? Cos it doesn't cost RTE anything, it's just one big long ad for the sponsors. There's always a wall to be painted, paving to be supplied by kilsaran, and the obligatory trip to Woodies, not to mention the continuous references to Bloom.

The actual gardens, most of which would be overgrown disasters within a couple of years, are just mediums to achieve the real objective.

I would love to know how a lot of them look now. Diarmuid Gavin had a show here similar to the one he did in England years ago too. I know of one of them which featured a 'skywalk' in the trees that subsequently had to be completely removed because it was unsafe, but you never hear about this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ have chosen that it should not produce any TV of any kind. TG4 has Garraí Glas.

RTÉ would want the Royal Horticultural Society Of Ireland, GIY, Bord Bia, SFI and others to fund such a show. It can even manage a daytime show during the Summer.

It is small programmes like this that don't get made because RTÉ can't be bothered.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

We need to get NK to represent a few gardeners :)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

I used to love Room Outside with Gerry Daly, years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

For the same reasons Ireland doesn't have a proper

Internationally acclaimed Food & Drink Show.

This will probably be deleted by mods, but

The Big Grill 2022....

If you attended... Join a long queue.

When you get your food eat it asap and then get out!

Darth Randomer

Me too

They even screened a garden program where the production team had made this completely newfangled heath Robinson contraption with a go Pro attached which would'nt look strange in a Robin Williams movie where he's a dentist demonstrating his dentist chair.

This things was used to film an anthill.

Great program, although I could offer a better solution at a fraction of the cost of it

EDIT 8.02pm I see Diarmúid Gavin who designed that 'Hanging Garden' that nobody liked. This Hurt his feelings. The craethur.

Post edited by z80CPU on

• Advertisement

You'd have thought that one of the executives would have got their garden done while getting a crew to film a gardening show!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Darth Randomer

RTÉ or Virgin Media will require that at least [u]one[/u] Celebrity Personality that is well known in Irish Media in general is [u] guaranteed to get a publicity boost out of it when they are paired with such a show.[/u] If this guarantee cannot be assured, then no gardening show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think 'the wild gardener' presented by colin stafford johnson was a joint RTE & BBC production - but it certainly wasn't a gardening show in the sense people are talking about here (and as he explained in it, his father was ireland's first TV gardener).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The culture of recreational gardening & allotments etc is a century or two older over in England in particular. It was one consequence of their industrial revolution and the migration of people into cities and urban areas generally. We were more of an agrarian society up to about 50-60 years ago. It's a foreign idea to RTE.

Gerry Daly would disagree with you. RTÉ always had a summer gardening show in the 80s and 90s and even into the 2000s.

As pointed out you need a "celeb name", you need a "format" and it needs to be "co-produced" with another state body such as Healthy Ireland, Bord Bia AND/OR an "ngo" like GYI, it will also need a sponsor and some product placement.

What is foreign to RTÉ is making content.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One swallow never made a summer though. Gerry was a bit of an outlier.

I remember RTE in the 1980s - it was a diet of GAA, horse racing, dog racing, LLS, local drama like Glenroe etc. There were no RTE staff involved in the likes of gardening, not part of the culture.

Local Drama like Glenroe.... you mean just Glenroe, with a few "outlier" dramas in the early 80s co-prod with C4, and Fair City toward the end of the decade.

Your right RTÉ had one gardening show and a gardening slot on Live At 3/PM live.

Seems now RTÉ can't even do one gardening show unless it meet the requirements I have outlined above.

______

Yesterday

• There was also Helen Dillon & The late Dermot O’Neill as TV gardeners. Then also Diarmuid Gavin. But now we are left with dumbed down competition style shows that don’t really discuss the plants, or discuss pros and cons of different landscape materials from a practical point of view, or little to help the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

They're waiting for Peter O' Mahony to retire from rugby before giving him his own show 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I used to watch the show with Dermot O'Neill (RIP) and Helen Dillon as a teen, even though we didn't have a garden. Always enjoyed it. Loved it. The Garden Show I think it was.

They had another one in the past few years partnered with GIY about growing food, which was passable. Grow, Cook, Eat.

Would love to see a show like Gardener's World though. I'm a complete beginner but have always loved it. Monty Don is mesmerising!

Supergarden is a dreadful show. But I would have thought a basic traditional garden show wouldn't be particularly expensive to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

It's just pure bad planning and lack of foresight really. Opw have plenty of gardeners looking after state Gardens, such as Kilmacuddery, the gardens are there, the gardeners are there, a film crew is all it takes. Gardeners World is basically Monty tending to his own garden and then they throw in fillers from Joe soap gardeners sending in videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I love Gardener’s World so much. Wish there was some sort of online library where I could view previous episodes. Learn so much from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Go to YouTube and you can find back episodes, we resort to YouTube if we miss an episode for some obscure reason.

Advertisement