Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well said. Not every county believes in flogging young amateur players in order to prepare them for a "professional" career in the GAA. It's worrying to see it going down that track as the players have a life outside of what is meant to be a pastime. Croke Park are sitting back watching it happening from the time they did nothing to address huge payments to managers and backroom teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

We will have to keep an eye on Tom Kenny he was very good last night and Eoin Wall has some burst of speed but should have been popping a few balls over the bar, running at the defence didn’t bear any fruit. Harry Shine had a good night on Mikey Butler.

Was Tom Kenny on Owen Wall when Wall thundered into the match in the final quarter?

No he was out on the wing and anyway the defence held tight and the ball fell nicely for Jack Nolan after being cleared twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

For someone living outside the county .

The lack of a streaming option for kilkenny club matches is nearly unforgivable at this stage.

Every other hurling county has clips up of scores and highlights and advertising streaming packages.. which are money makers for the county board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Did they have streams of the games last year or did they abandon it after Covid?

Was it Clubber they were streaming it with back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Only had a hand full of games in the park 2 years ago I don't think they had any last year.

Clubber had 33 games this weekend from 5 different counties. Sadly none from kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jaysus. Oh I'm sure we're all very intimidated in little old kilkenny by all those big boys in cork and limerick. Incidentally if cork have had fifteen year olds on weights and nutrition programs for 20 years the first crop should be turning 35 right now so I'm sure we'll see them on the county team any moment soon to replace the shower of twinkle toes they've been fielding for the past fifteen years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

As an alternative, the local radio stations, KCLR and CRKC, have great coverage of hurling. Live commentary, reports, interviews, previews, reviews, etc. I find them excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

A friend who lives Cork described Cork hurling as ‘high heels hurling’ , couldn’t of described it more perfectly if I tried.

Forwards shooting the lights out down there in a non contact SHC.

No team fears playing tippy-tappy Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Yes Kclr have upped their game and coverage big time in the last year.

Still a bit behind community radio boys for expertise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Was anyone here at the Shamrocks or Ballycallan matches? Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comfortable win for Dunamaggin over Black and Whites in Inistioge. Dunamaggin's full forward line was very impressive. The 13 (don't have teamsheet so no names) was very skilful if quite light, scored a great individual goal in the first half and scored some nice points. B&W number 15 looked useful as well but they looked a step below Dunamaggin for most of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

At Bridge v Ballycallan. Thought it was an average match. Blanchfield followed Billy Ryan into midfield and was the standout player. Accuracy on both sides when playing with breeze was very poor. Bridge led by 1pt at ht playing against the breeze alot of short passing from them which Ballycallan overturned a few times to get scores. Bridge went 3/4pts ahead halfway through but hit some shocking wides. Graigue brought on a few subs and began to find their forwards who were fairly accurate in the 2nd half. Three minors from last year and Tommy Ronan at midfield probably won it for them with relentless work rate. Great win for them, probably began to believe the could get something when the Bridge started hitting so many wides. Again Blanchfield carried them in 2nd half which would be a worry fir them going forward, few players to come back though. They'll certainly need them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Alan Murphy started centre forward for Glenmore today. Scored 2-13 of 2-18 in a 1 point win. Serious display by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

2-5 from play. It's an awful pity he hasnt kicked on at county level.glenmore have lads on the county senior and u20 panel so maybe not as much of a suprise but they'll be delighted

Comer will be delighted with the draw last night. Shamrocks always slow to start but Ronan Corcoran also gone traveling along with 2xjoeys and Brian Cody. Fennelly will probably be back alright and I wouldn't put it past a few of them returning later in the championship but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see new county champions in kk.

Ballycallan will also be thrilled and I presume young mcevoy is tots son? Sean Ryan very good from placed balls. The bridge have alot of new faces. David blanchfield returned and Liam will be home next week for the hurling before returning to Oz.

Danesfort drove about 20 wides against Clara in a poor enough game. Paul Cody,shane staunton and murt o connell were good for Clara.liam Ryan had a very good 1st half. Good to see Matt Kenny returning from injury.

Dunnamaggin had a big win over skeough. I think denis walsh got 1-5.some good fowards but leaky from 7 back to 1. Gowran had a good win over conahy. James bergin returning from the states heavily strapped but Mikey Carey stole the headlines with an unbelievable performance. The good news is he will be staying around.

The shocks are down a few players and are struggling at the moment. The rower are a very decent team but the talk is Leahy won't be back and I think they'll need him if they are to win the championship. Eoghan lyng has to have an operation aswell, don't know how long he will be out for.

Cheddar has muckalee very organized and maybe not pretty on the eye but 2 wins from 2 they won't care and that was a very good win over mooncoin. Lisdowney brought on Aaron Fogarty and mick Kenny and both turned their game over a gallant Johnstown effort.

Freshford and tullogher played out a draw with James maher and wally both out. Liam hickey and Danny Glennon both very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Shocks12

Great post and info.

Was at our game and agree we were down a few and poor hopefully it comes someway right. Not much more to be said on that one!!!

Called over to Freshford for Fenians and Lisdowney. Expected a ding dong. Fenians dug in and hit hard but Lisdowney never shirked it and took the big hits. Niall Brennan and Kevin Sweeney took control of Midfield and drove Lisdowney on. Fogarty got 1-4 and made a big impression likewise Mick Kenny who was travelling I believe but is back now for good.

On the Fenians they are relying on frees alot and only got four points from play. Bar John Henderson the rest of them were below par. They will probably be in relegation again.

Are Muckalee playing two sweepers? Heard this at game today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Got it in plenty of games the weekend. Friday evening between OLG and Boro, OLG light up front, Boro looked good, Tom Kenny excellent, Mikey Butler was in trouble on a few of the Boro forwards.Both teams know bigger days ahead.

Went into Palmerstown Saturday for Martins v Mooncoin, Martins looked fit, Hunt a good addition, Mulhall hurled well for 40 mins. Martins better value than 1 point win. Mooncoin had no threat for a green flag.

Went to Thomastown for the match v Glenmore, 3 Murphys are Glenmore, very efficient and hard working team. Good game, we have work to do, missing a star player or 2 to be real contenders.

i then went into Palmerston for the junior match of the weekend between Freshford and Tullogher. Good, tough physical game, plenty of hits, Freshord probably deserved the win on work rate alone but Tullogher held out for the draw. Tullogher have a few nice hurlers but dont like it physical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Danesfort had 16 wides including about 5 from frees. Clara had a good spread of scorers with Paul Cody and the evergreen Liam Ryan contributing most. Danedfort look likely to be in the relegation playoffs.

Bridge were poor against Graig Ballycallan hitting a dozen wides. Sean Ryan scored 10 points from placed balls with Aaron McEvoy and Ryan Corcoran scorimg 5 points between them. David Blanch impressed in midfield, he could play here, centreback or wingback for KK imo.

It was the Alan Murphy show for Glenmore in a well deserved win over the Village. Eoin also did well at centre back his first touch is excellent. Eoin Guilfoyle scored 13 points grom frees. Scanlon and Ross Whelan scored 3 points each but the rest of the forwards struggled. To me, the Village forwards are too light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think no streaming at this point is very poor, I know from friends living abroad its very much appreciated there. From a KK viewpoint representation in the Wexford final next Sunday with Aaron Duggan in goal for Oilgate/Glenbrien.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Duggan has great puckouts.

Oilgate have the 2 Reck brothers Damien and Shane, two incredible hurlers, so they won’t be far away in the county final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah they seem to have momentum at the right time, Gorey have the bigger names across the board but think its pretty 50/50, would have ranked Oilgate 8th if i was ranking the 12 Senior teams in Wexford pre championship, they only won Intermediate in 2021( bit of yo yo club the last 10-15 years) so would be some feat to win Senior.

I was at the Clara v Boro junior game Saturday evening. It was very one sided with the Boro winning well but what I found was there wasn’t a quarter of the hand passing/ throws as they were in any of the senior games I saw, a good old fashioned game of hurling.

You said it yourself, good old fashioned game of hurling! The type we all loved but it's dying fast and I'm relieved to see our senior clubs adapting to the "new" hand pass. Along with many other elements, such as steps, faking injury, slowing the game down, charging and so on - all the little percentages add up to give teams a better chance of success. Let's see how the remaining matches in the club championship go in this regard and then how it it might influence the county approach come the Walsh Cup and League.

Like it or not, it's the way to go as that's how the championship was played out this year with refs happy to play along with it.

Oylegate also have Seamus Casey who's playing great stuff and Podge Doran who ain't too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I got this fairly wrong 🤦 Clara saved me.

Big results for GBC and Comer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Think that Cork are probably the only team that can prevent the 5 in a row for limerick. Let's see how this statement ages. I understand that Cork played a technical, less physical game... seemed to change this year and there under 20s were serious.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Oh dear, can't understand why you didn't go for GBC and Comer! You'll really have to take more interest!!!!

Advertisement