Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably have to wait until tomorrow to find out, but I'd love to know if these were direct impacts, debris parts or smoke deployed.

8 hits is an awful lot (not that I'm complaining :D )

Could this be a saturation strike?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm really scratching my head about the use of smoke machines as a way to thwart an incoming attack. Its either complete genius or just another mad and weird story from the Russian side.

The smokescreen is intended to combat remotely-controlled drones - where someone is looking at a video feed and controlling the drone in real time. Some of Ukraine's domestic naval drones definitely operate like this.

By the same token a smokescreen will work against drones that have some autonomous optical-based guidance. This means the drone uses an imaging sensor and some AI stuff to navigate to the target without a human operator. You teach the drone what a Russian ship looks like - perhaps even a specific vessel - and then you send it to a port and hope it finds a target by itself. I don't know if Ukraine have built these yet, but it's a natural progression in an environment with radio and GPS jamming. Some cruise missiles use something similar in the terminal phase.

A smokescreen will have no effect on a drone or missile that navigates autonomously using GPS or inertial guidance. That Shahed drones that Russia uses so much, that's all they do, fly a waypoint mission and then crash into a co-ordinate. Though I am sure more advanced ones will come along soon.

A smokescreen can also disrupt laser-guided munitions. This is where a laser - which can be airborne or on land - paints a target, then the munition homes in on the laser spot. Smoke scatters the laser beam so there is nothing to home in on. Laser guided munitions are definitely used on the battlefield in Ukraine, though I'm not sure that they have been used against the Crimea bridge.

Imagine they are meant for drones and camera control

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

The most obvious reason I can think off is that they use it as a deterent against drones, and at the time they didn't know what attacked them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I get the idea of a smoke screen, but looking at the earlier videos, and given the lenght of the bridge, surely the operator will just aim for another section. Seems like a very crude form of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

As much as I'd love this to be true I think the title is a bit misleading.

I don't think that Ukraine simply burst forwards 20km overnight. Unless I'm mistaken they're talking about an overall advance of 20km split between two points on the map. They're still fighting hard at Robotyne and Urozhaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also, if you want to lie to your public about a fancy bridge getting hit constantly, it's easier to say "we are conducting smoke screen drills" rather than just admit "it was hit again". Not that I'm suggesting Russian officials would lie, no no never sir.

• Advertisement

Did some digging could be in total since Jine, which is depressing. But looks like there have been victories or good results today.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It tough to say what the article means. It might mean 15-20km squared. Which would make more sense. But Ukraine have gained MUCH more than 20km sq since June. Tenfold more from my reading.

So it could be 15-20km sq in some key areas in the south over the past week/few days? Which isn't quite as exciting as a 20km arrow towards the sea of Azov overnight. But it's not nothing either. Especially since Russia really seems to be throwing the kitchen sink at the UAF in this area trying to retake the land they're slowly losing.

I have some faith in the cleverness of UAF leadership at this stage. Ukraine isn't throwing their soldiers into the fire here for meters of soil, it's not their style IMO. Just like in Bakhmut. Everyone thought that Ukraine was being stubborn for no legitimate tactical reason in Bakhmut. But they clearly had a plan in mind. They bled Wagner dry and the Russian federation nearly collapsed with the Wagner mutiny afterwards.

I may turn out to be wrong here but I still have faith that what we're seeing is Ukraine softening up the frontlines and the real hammerblow is yet to fall.

We'll see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

You mentioned Dagestan, have you ever been there? And as for weather and temp events, here's one or two for you, happened in Serbia last month. And prior to these event's, the temp was reaching 40c, and no, I didn't ask anyone, I did not need to because I was there. A lot of the devastation happened in Novi Sad, and I had been there too, but before the freak storm hit.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/291884893328189

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Right, but the temperature never hit 47c. That's all I said, not sure what you're getting at now.

Beverly Hills, California

I'm not "getting at anything" You mention Dagestan, so I asked have you ever been there? Have you? My Russian Friend tells me that its currently 47c where he is, you say its never been that temperature in Russia, so I say that the weather pattern's are changing, and I post a few examples to illustrate what I mean. Temperature records world wide will be broken this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

This is precisely the problem .... the current version of the Republicans ... and de Santis will be worse than Trump ... is a hardline entity not at all unlike the current Iranian hardliner ruling party Paydari ... policy like pulling out of the deal, killing Soleimani and sanctions all allowed hardliners to take control and strengthened the grip of the Khamenei family and Paydari ... the ascent of these is not in the interest of Iran, US or Europe ... and neither is the ascent of hardline Republicans who believe in conspiracy theories ...

Iran's current rulers will not last long if they continue with their current role .... siding with Russia and ignoring other relationships as well as deliberately oppressing the people with the worst type of unintelligent peasant cultism does not give them legitimacy ... Putin's war is a disaster and unless he finds a way out in the nest 1-2 years he will go the way of the Tsar ... Iran's economy is even worse and it is only a matter of time before the army will side with the people instead of Khamenei ...

I suspect a more moderate Iranian government will form ... but the question is will the US embrace it like it should or will it punish it again leading to another hardliner taking hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Iran has a large Azeri ethnic population.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People who are worried about Russian counter-offensives need to watch videos like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope that man gets home to his two sons, so he can tell them the shít he went through to serve his mafia masters. Then you'll hopefully have 3 simmering Russians resentful of the rotating door of "authority" that country's people endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭glen123

It's not leadership. It's a little show "i am dealing with corruption" while in reality it's more of a "you've made loads of made money? Now, move aside and let others have a go at it". Same as Minister for Defense is getting a boot (even though it was supposed to happen back in Feb but didn't) for various schemes that were found out. Is he going to go to prison? No. He is likely to become an Ambassador in the UK :)

However, Zelensky's idea of making recruitment heads of those that fought on the front line and got wounded is actually fair. Those that lost their limbs know very well knowing the history of Chernobyl, Afganistan that nobody is going to care for them in a few years time (if not already) so this would nearly be the only opportunity for them to make as much money as possible to safeguard their future and the future of their families, and good for them - they need to think about themselves because the government won't. I'd rather they got the bribes than those that did absolutely nothing for their country. And if some of them actually end up doing their job honestly, it will be a bonus.

I've mentioned this several times before that there lies a deep dislike of ethnic Russian's in all the Republics, but in Chechnya, it goes far deeper than dislike, its down right hatred after what Putin did to the Chechens'. To this day, Kadyrov is regarded as a traitor, and there's plenty of Chechens would not only like to see him dead, but to take an active part in his demise. So there's no love lost between the two groups. Throw a few litres of vodka, a couple of AK47's into the mix, and the Chechens will start to have flashbacks of Samashki, Achkhoy-Martan and other places where Russians behaved as they do, murderously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It is leadership during a time of war to admit corruption on scale (which can be used as propaganda by the enemy) and then to tackle it. Likewise when Zelensky took action when (reported) high-pricing was discovered for military food contracts.

The decision to replace recruitment civilians with people who've been on the front line also makes sense from a recruitment perspective.

Zelensky has been visiting soldiers on the front-line, in some pretty dangerous areas, working constantly to secure better equipment and arms, honouring the dead, lobbying on the troops behalf, he has massive respect among the people and military.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

And hopefully that trickle will become a flood!!!

And there are posters on here who believe that Russians have choices.... Imagine here in Ireland you take your car to the NCT centre, Motor Tax, Revenue Office, or indeed any state office, and get grabbed there and then. And it can happen on the street too. You leave home, and the next time your Family hear from you is that you are now in the army. And I've seen it happen. Perfectly normal in a terrorist mafia state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭threeball

His older son is probably in Ukraine already, the 13yr old, probably not far off being drafted given the way they've ran things so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Grim but probably true; the way things are going I'd not be remotely surprised if a coup, were to happen, came from the military. Maybe not the Putin stooges at the top but all the officer class having to muck through a catastrophic invasion. They'll surely be the ones with the longest memories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement