Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,039 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Surely he's going to pull shenanigans after awhile. I cannot envision this "meek court Trump" persona lasting long. What will the judge do if he's in contempt? He's an ex-president, he can't be sent to jail. And like you mentioned, it's unlikely he'll have the patience for any of this.

I genuinely have no doubt how all this will unfold, but I do see so much potential for an absolute circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wellllll shiit.

Donald Trump's lawyers — who were identified as co-conspirators in Trump's latest federal indictment — wanted Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas to help them stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden's 2020 election victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The €64000 question is, was Thomas involved? You can't be on the SCOTUS if you are in prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As DuploeLabs says, certainly through his wife. Ginni is up to her eyeballs in the effort to keep Trump in office and to subvert democracy. It also paints Thomas's sole dissent in the WH Jan 6 docs case. There was near zero legal basis for his dissent that didn't involve an immense stretch of exec privilege and indeed so big a stretch? That not a single other justice could agree with his dissent.

• Advertisement

God damn

• Rendon, who was an elected state lawmaker from Missaukee County, contacted 
    • Lynch, who was working at the request and “direction” of Lambert, collected voting equipment from local clerks in Lake Township (Missaukee County), Roscommon County, Richfield Township (in Roscommon) and Irving Township (Barry County) beginning in March of 2021.Lake Township Clerk Korinda Winkelmann asking her to provide equipment to Lynch as part of a 2020 election "audit." Rendon had also contacted other township and county clerks in her district to request they provide ballot tabulators to Lynch.
    • Lynch took the voting equipment to hotel rooms in Oakland County. There, and in other Oakland County "residences," DePerno and Lambert were "frequently" present as purported technology experts performed "tests and/or experiments" on the machines.
    • During those experiments, “the internal content of the machines was accessed, and the computer system itself was manipulated.”
    • At one point, the group hired a professional videographer to film "various tests" on a tabulator from Lake Township. The video, filmed inside Lynch's Royal Oak condominium, featured self-described technology expert Jeffrey Lenberg and was later posted to DePerno's law firm website.
    • The group kept the equipment longer than local clerks had expected. Lynch returned various machines in April, June and finally September 2021, when he met the Lake Township clerk in the Great Lakes Crossing Mall parking lot for the exchange. 

They took voting machines into a hotel room to **** around with.

yeah there is zero chance these don’t go to trial before election.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I actually think at this stage he wants to start an actual Civil War.

Some needs to take his phone of him and give him corner time.

Judge Chutkans security detail meanwhile is very heightened. 3 US Marshalls to get a cup of coffee.

Another Legal Eagle, about the Jan 6 case & indictment

The Federalist Society arguing the case Trump has already been disqualified from office:

Two conservative legal scholars, members of the Federalist Society in good standing, have just published an audacious argument: that Donald Trump is constitutionally prohibited from running for president, and that state election officials have not only the authority but the legal obligation to prevent his name from appearing on the ballot.

The legal paper, authored by University of Chicago professor William Baude and University of St. Thomas professor Michael Stokes Paulsen, centers on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment — a provision that limits people from returning to public office if they have since “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” or “given aid or comfort” to those who have. Baude and Paulsen argue that this clearly covers Trump’s behavior between November 2020 and January 2021.

“The most politically explosive application of Section Three to the events of January 6, is at the same time the most straightforward,” Baude and Paulsen write. “Former President Donald J. Trump is constitutionally disqualified from again being President (or holding any other covered office) because of his role in the attempted overthrow of the 2020 election and the events leading to the January 6 attack.”

The consequences of this argument are astonishing. On Baude and Paulsen’s read, Section 3 is “self-executing” — meaning it does not require an act of Congress to enter force and binds those public officials in the position to act on its dictates. Basically, if a single official anywhere in the US electoral system finds their constitutional analysis compelling, Baude and Paulsen urge them to act on it.

“No official should shrink from these duties. It would be wrong — indeed, arguably itself a breach of one’s constitutional oath of office — to abandon one’s responsibilities of faithful interpretation, application, and enforcement of Section Three,” they write.

As a matter of law, I find their arguments quite compelling. If you look at Section 3 in light of the historical evidence and how restrictions on eligibility for office work elsewhere in the Constitution, it’s hard to disagree with Baude and Paulen’s application of its text to Trump.

• Advertisement

I doubt the Republican Bible belt voters will take to that billionaire rapping candidate over the God-fearing billionaire rapist Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh…if only. It would be a fitting application of karma that his treasonist attempt to overthrow Capitol Hill in order to hold onto office, would itself forbid him from ever holding it again.

I guess for that to stick, they’d have to find him guilty of insurrection, or giving comfort to insurrectioists. Question is, can that done or is there some legal way for him weasel out of being found guilty of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I have to say I always enjoy the phrase perfect phone call. He keeps saying it like it’s not one of the dumbest phrases ever uttered, not just in connection to his attempt at fraud but just in general it’s beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

It isn't like making dumb statements is anything new for him, but yeah it is up there.

But you have to take into account who he is issuing/appealing to when making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If only we could put him in a Truman Show type setup where he cant do any danage in the real world.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

"perfect phone call" is something easy for his minions to remember and parrot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a phrase that irrationally irritates me: cos among all the stupid shít Trump has said, the constant wittering on about a "perfect phone call" as some kind of defence has struck as especially asinine and impossible to figure out.

How the F does one have a "perfect" phone call? Was Trump especially erudite that day? Was he happy with how good the connection was? Did Zelensky profess his love for this phone call? It breaks my brain trying to rationalise something so trivial and without substance as somehow worth celebrating - or defending. Or indeed, perfect.

It's like boasting about a perfect bowl of corn flakes I had for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its just Trump's very limited language skills showing. It suits his base to be fed simple phrases, especially phrases that are so unlikely as to be recognised as his. 'Like they have never seen before' 'like the world has never seen before' and other slight variations, is another one. Equally as asinine and not literally accurate. Just the same as all the childish name calling, his base recognises and relates to it, its easy for them to understand, it doesn't matter if the story or accusation that goes with it is complete rubbish, its like the chorus of a patriotic song, easy to repeat and identify with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Rawr

For some reason all this makes me imagine that people who are called by Trump get one of those «Customer Service survey» emails right after.

»How would you rate your call with President Trump?

Select one:

• «Perfect»?
    • «Maybe even, the most Perfect call ever»?
    • or:
    • «People come up to me and say, «Sir, that call you just took, it was truly Perfect. It’s amazing»?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Will you indeed?

When he finds out who flipped on him, we will see if he has the restraint to not attack them.

I anticipate compliance with the directions given will be near impossible for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The people in favour of what's underway are by definition anti-democratic, yet they'll label Trump the "fascist" - who, even when in power, never implemented fascism to begin with, nothing even close.

@[Deleted User] - do you still think he's not a fascist?

"Fascism is generally defined as a political movement that embraces far-right nationalism and the forceful suppression of any opposition, all overseen by an authoritarian government".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well, he's basically a very small toddler with attention deficit issues in a 77 year old man's body. So as you said, it's not realistic that he'll be able to keep a lid on his bullshit. I give it a week before the judge is issuing warnings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,874 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think I'm ever going to fully get over that that guy was president. I used to think that even the stupidest of human beings would understand the concept of not talking about their own trial before it's over. Someone, somehow managed to make a better moron.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Gaetz with another call to arms.. "only through force do we make any change in a corrupt town like Washington, DC" while talking to Trump at a rally.

This is a guy who was caught on camera running like the real coward the last time his ilk used force and stormed the Capital buildings.

MAGA really does want a Civil War.

Where in that footage did Donald Trump say that he wants to use physical force to take back Washington DC?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,874 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

MAGA is decadence personified. They want violence but only for other people, they want racism without being called out for it and they want fascism but only their preferred kind and for someone else to make it happen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Trump has his MAGA puppets like Gaetz & Taylor Greene etc to say the words so he can say he never said those words when the racism & violence does happen he just stands there and smiles and nods along with the hateful rhetoric.

I would love to know where the real money men behind MAGA are putting their money for the long play hoping to make their billions if not trillions from Trumps games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Where in the footage did Trump, currently facing charges for involvement in previously instigating and fanning the flames of physical force to prevent the results of the election from being certified, denounce what Gaetz (his guest at the event) said and make clear that he does not support such actions?

I think if you stand beside the guy saying those things, while nodding, and then don't say anything to the contrary, it's pretty reasonable to suggest he endorses the message even if he didn't say it himself.

• Advertisement

I'm really not so sure about that.

Gaetz says in the video that "we're going to win Iowa", the nomination and the general election. He's talking about working toward forcing through Trump as the victor in the election, not through a violent call to arms. He emphasizes to the crowd the need to "work ten times harder".

When you see the quote in full context, as I've outlined, you get a much more accurate perspective of what he actually said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement