Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Typicial the best week of weather since June and I was in bed sick for most of it🙄.

Ah well at least we got out today to enjoy it. Very windy but lovely and mild all day and plenty of sunshine at times.

No rain here thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I miss Dublin 24 for that reason lol i used to live in firhouse, live here in Leitrim for 4 years now and have to say our weather further west is defo noticeable ,we have an extra 30 or so days of rain 🌧

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I think this makes it the 5th/6th consecutive wet weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lashing sheets of rain in south Wicklow. Every feckin weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Windy. Meath. Clouds threatening all morning.

Rain (reports) NE Galway but not visible on radar :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A lot of heavy rain since yesterday afternoon. While this summer probably won't be as wet as 1986, I bet that one did not have as many wet weekends in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What a pathetic excuse for a summer 😂

I mean there has been plenty of useable weather but it really is so poor compared to what you’d hope for. It’s more like decent October weather.

Cannot wait to get away end of Sept for some proper heat in the Canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A lot of heavy rain overnight here in Castlebar. Plenty more showers today. The met eireann weather radar upgrade is dragging on a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You know it's been very poor when even mcburns07 is saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

It's hard to believe that this time last year we could still get temperatures into the 30c mark after a fabulous July. This is more like the middle of autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In fact, today last year Oak Park set the national August temperature record of 31.7C beating 1975 and 1995. Durrow would beat this again the next day with 32.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Well the forecast was certainly way off earlier in the week for Friday ( yesterday) and the weekend, far wetter than predicted, I’m far less confident of decent weather for tomorrow ( Sunday) now and it was forecast good tomorrow as recent as five days ago

World of hay was made in June , the problem is cutting the second cut of silage and more importantly the barley and wheat harvest

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭yagan

This time last year I had stopped cutting the grass because it was too parched, now I can't cut the grass because it's too damp.

I have no excuse for not tacking the hedges though. I best go put my gardening duds on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

many farmers cannot cut silage or hay until July 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Speak for yourself. Some of us actually try to give the land a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

This is by choice. Signing up to a scheme which hinders your cut date for fodder is always dangerous in this country. Fair enough if it's a small percentage of your meadow area. There is generally only really one, maybe 2 good weather spell every summer to save hay. This year it was early and you must strike while the weather is hot.

If you want hay it's the forecast and soil moisture deficits that determines whether you will get it or not. I cut a lot of hay every year and my bale count is at approx half of last year. Silage count is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A wet Saturday but almost all the rain fell overnight and late this evening. Locally today was a lot sunnier than the 2 warm days this week. Raphoe 22.4mm and lough Mourne recorded 22.1mm while Malin only had 5mm. Highest total countrywide for an unofficial station was Ballybofey with 31.8mm

Maam valley in Galway recorded 21.6mm while Connemara a bit to the west only recorded 4.8mm in comparison. Tuam next highest total with 19.6mm.

Along the coast South of Dublin to Cobh recorded less than 1mm apart from Arklow with 1.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

From getting sunburn on Wednesday to wearing layers on Thursday due to the wind and rain, you’d need a massive wardrobe in this country.

Still there is nothing like walking on the beach, with a mild if not stormy wind blowing you sideways, to get that energy invigoration. Followed by a tea/coffee in the local cafe… God I miss living here!

• Advertisement

I live in the west but I’m originally from the East and I’m in the East today, lashing rain yesterday In morning in Galway, totally dry when we arrived in east around 3 pm , lovely here this morning in the east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Nice morning in the SE but Met Eireann are forecasting cloud and mist/drizzle for the afternoon. Going to attempt cutting the lawn today, it's a nightmare trying to keep it cut this year and to keep the weeds down in the rest of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I don’t know what to call today or the last couple of days really. It’s not bad, it’s not good. It’s not especially dull it’s not sunny. It’s 18 degrees. Some rain on and off. Breezy constantly. Not summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad Sunday morning in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

14C and pouring down. Coldish wind. If I didn't know the month I'd guess October.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has been better than I expected this weekend in West Dublin. The forecast had given me the impression of more rain, but it has been mostly dry yesterday and so far today.

Still fairly breezy today, yesterday was windy. Very changeable from sun to cloud with the wind. Cooler today but still feels warmer this weekend than most of July. No jacket needed at the moment.

It does feel very Autumnal though, and the leaves and twigs blown everywhere just adds to that. My neighbour's Japanese Maple has lost over half its leaves into my back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dry, humid and warm morning Meath.

18⁰ this afternoon with precipitation on and off since 1230 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Slipping away now, don’t have much hope for any sort of decent spell at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looked good up to a few days ago and it's all fallen apart now, for us the Atlantic theme continues and next weekend could be very unsettled.

Advertisement