Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh wow the suspend feature when you tap the power button is so slick, Im playing Tears of the Kingdom in the Yuzu emulator and while it runs absolutely perfect there is a fair bit of loading at the start of every session, now I just suspend it and when I tap the power button its back into the game in literally 1 second, gamechanger.

It's honestly the best purchase I've made in the last 5 years when it comes to gaming.

I levelled to 80 on WOTLK classic release exclusively on the deck as it was handy to queue.

I mainly use it for RPG's finished GoW, FF9, FF7R, Chorono Trigger, Coromon, Horizon Zero Dawn, FF4, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, WoW, ESO, Diablo 4 all on the deck with little to no setup. I've genuinely been plug & play, apart from the battle net stuff.

Amazing bit of tech, would recommend every gamer to have one, there's a use for it for everyone.

It's paid for itself with the dock being able to bring it to hotels and plug it in via HDMI and watch football, ufc, youtube, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've had to open a support ticket 😞 no controls system wide again this morning (bar screen power and volume), have powered on and off multiple times, factory reset yesterday reset all cryoutilities powertools etc. But no joy. Probably an RMA.

Going to be long few weeks before I get it/one back as I've been loving it when it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

How long have you had it? I had to RMA mine recently and was around 10 days from when defective Deck was picked up by UPS to having a new one delivered. I was expecting up to 3 weeks

Since Tuesday 😭 was able to get the controller to start working eventually the last few days after /sleep/power off, but since startup this morning it's been completely unresponsive, touch screen and power and volume working but nothing else. Valve are rmaing it so hopefully it won't take a month, do they get ups to collect or do you drop it to a post office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Thats a dose.

They'll send you a UPS label to print in email. Once you've that printed you click a link and arrange collection through that. Mine was picked up the next day. Was about 4 days by the time I got email that they weren't gonna repair it and would send a new unit. Got shipping details for that the following day. Pretty smooth process. Plus, as the issue wasn't power supply related, they say not to send back the charger so now I have an extra charger and a brand new Deck. Mine was about 8 months old.

Just ordered myself one of these.

Had a go on one of the lads' one earlier and ordered it immediately.

I don't have the time for console or PC gaming so this will be the right job.

To be fair, even if I did have the time I'd probably still get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Spent a good chunk of today playing gears of war 3 on X Cloud.

Just the sheer volume of options available on it is crazy. Xbox, playstation, pc all in your pocket. Albeit a large pocket 😂

WOOOOHOOOOO!

I should have this tomorrow. It's in Dublin at the moment.

I must say, I've been very impressed with how quick it has been processed and shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm just glad Valve ship from the Netherlands, packages get to Ireland in 4-6 days. Ships Monday you'll have it Friday. Several German websites take 8-10 days for me.

• Advertisement

Funny you say that, it shipped on Monday and now the estimate delivery date is Friday.

Still showing it's in Dublin but est delivery date is now Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Lucky you, from when I ordered it to when it arrived was about 10 months :)

I love an early morning delivery to start the day 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Refurbished base model appears to be next to impossible to get a hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just the suspend function that let's you pick up the game and drop it again whenever you want on its own is a total game changer.

N00b question...

I'm trying to sign into my EA account to play Apex Legends. When I try to put in my log in details the keyboard pops up but when I press the letters nothing happens.

Keyboard works perfectly for everything else.

I've signed into my account using Firefox with no problem but back on Steam it won't let me type in the info.

Anyone have any idea?

I got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

XBox Series consoles have that too. You can suspend and resume several games at a time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone think Starfield will run on the deck?

Or is gamspass streaming the way to go?

bg3 runs pretty amazing, id be fairly confidant it will run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given consoles are only going to hit 30 FPS in Starfield, it seems like it’ll be a pretty heavy game even relative to something like Baldur’s Gate 3. It might run on Steam Deck, but run well? Very much a wait and see.

While it’s impressive that some newer games run at all on it, the reality is more and more AAA efforts are clearly running up against the hardware’s limitations. With some high profile titles you’re running a playable but heavily compromised version of the game when it comes to visuals, performance and in worst case scenarios playability. I love the Deck and so many games are incredibly well suited to it. But there are definitely games where Deck would be my bottom choice in terms of preferred ways to play - some games just need a good tv / monitor and all the extra horsepower you can throw at ‘em.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have my gaming pc ready for Starfield but it would b nice to hop in / out on the deck for short bursts at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Just got GTA4 with both expansions for €6 on steam, looks and runs great on the Deck (after you get past the extremely irritating Rockstar account nonsense).

Fsr/dlss could really help with demanding games on lower end hardware going forward, I wonder will fsr 3 be usable with the deck, now that would be a game changer. Starfield is confirmed to work on the Xbox series s is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh it wouldn't get released if it didn't work on Series S - it's mandatory from Microsoft's side :) But Series X is already confirmed as 30 FPS too.

DLSS won't be applicable on Deck as that's proprietary NVIDIA software, and FSR / other upscaling solutions aren't quite magic bullets if you can't get a decent base-level performance (upscaling to 720p from a lower-res base is going to resolve in a very blurry and messy image overall). They certainly help a lot, but I think Unreal Engine 5 titles will likely be a mixed bag on deck from here on out. Again a lot of games will likely 'run', but probably not in a way that'll be really satisfying.

That said, it's no doubt impressive that games like Remnant II run on Deck at a 'close to' 30 FPS framerate to boot. But at a certain point you're losing a lot of the identity of the game if the image is a soft, blurry mess and the framerate is all over the place. Ratchet & Clank looks a lot more playable and stable (and impressive), but again you're definitely losing a little something when you lose some of that next-gen fidelity. Fantastic when you need to go portable or if it's the only option available, but absolutely not the best choice if you have another way to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My son has a gaming PC with an RX 9600 XT GPU in it. He says Ratchet and Clank can bring it almost to it's knees and stutters briefly in places. Starfield will be worse. His GPU has 1406% the texture fill rate of the Steamdeck GPU. Starfield doesn't seem to me to be anything one should term 'playable' on the SD.

The SD can't handle a 4 year old game like Kingdom Come, which together with the small screen is why I am already looking to trade up to something with bigger display and a 7840U in it, such as is in the Rog Ally, giving 4 times the GPU performance.

Can't say I've an issue with the SDs performance, it's the best balance currently between price/battery/performance imo. If it runs Starfield horribly streaming from Xbox game pass is another option, or steaming from a gaming desktop via moonlight/sunshine

Steam link from your pc to the deck best of both worlds 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm hearing good things about the Deck running modern games. At the end of the day it's a €400 handheld, I wouldn't expect Ultra/60fps but definitely manageable at lower settings while still looking good.

Running a 1-2 year old game on low/medium isn't going to look bad given the graphic fidelity of current games.

No experience with it but seeing people online saying 40fps/medium settings with Kingdom Come?

• Advertisement

You can drop the resolution and use FSR to scale it up and it looks nice.

Advertisement