Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I hated the idea of selling to the council but they offered me so much money I could not refuse,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A lot of homeowners are selling to trade up though so would balance out for them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

What I am experiencing consistently. See this post, perfectly clear, Frank.

Should not be allowed, full stop. Crazy carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not at all.

People want their houses to be worth as much as possible. It's not just selling, but also using your property as leverage. There hasn't been a single govt program to reduce the selling price of a house, so I don't see the govt limiting who can or cannot buy housing based on their local connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

How has everyone transferred the 10% deposit to their solicitors bank accounts? AIB seem to have a 10k daily limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

I went into an AIB branch and did it, although some people said they have done it over several days if their solicitor allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I went into branch too and did the transfer. I think if it is not same bank as your bank might just take couple days to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

We transferred over a few days, solicitor actually suggested it if there was a 10k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 midispud

We've just bought a house in a new build estate, sale agreed about a year ago and finally done now. For various reason I don't want to get into we have major buyers remorse and are very strongly reconsidering whether we actually want to live there.

If we were to sell it before ever moving in, what are the chances of making our money back? Will it be a harder sell than people buying straight from the developer or will the fact it is second hand have an impact? Obviously we'll have all the estate agent and solicitor fees to think about too, and I don't know how it works with the bank if you pay off the mortgage very early (FWIW we had about 85% deposit and a relatively small mortgage)

The house was close to 900k when we went sale agreed a year ago and the next phase (identical houses, now sold out but still under construction) was selling for 50k more than that back around March of this year. There will be another phase at some point in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Ahh I will put it straight back on the market and see, if next phase are looking for 50k more than you paid, I think you have a good chance of selling quickly.

All the same, I cannot believe the price paid for something that sounds a sprawling housing estate.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sounds like you should shift it on ok. The costs of selling (solicitor etc ) should be a relatively small percentage of the transaction value.

must admit, dying to know the reasons for buyers remorse. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Same here, once the teller saw the amount and it was going to a solicitor I got a "congratulations on your new home" from them.

I think a lot of people get caught out with the limit of 10k on daily transfers from those banking kiosks.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

• Registered Users Posts: 37 EchoEmber

I feel your pain as we went through a similar process and finally managed to go Sale Agreed after 2+ years of looking and bidding.

The problem here is if you are selling you want to get the most amount of money for your house, there are very few sellers that would have accepted a lower bid to sell to a local. They could introduce a law that states a buyer needs to have permanent residence in Ireland to purchase a property, but they find a loop hole like setting up a company etc to purchase the property.

The rental crises needs to be sorted first and rent prices needs to come down for investors to find an alternative, the rental income makes the whole thing lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Sorry for the noddy question, but have just bought a property, the purchase is complete and I'm moved in but I'm trying to figure out LPT and if I need to somehow register with the authorities that I'm now the owner so - I'm guessing - they issue me with a PIN, I hopefully get some form of reminder about paying the tax etc. Basically, get onto the system as the new Designated Liable Person.

Is this something my solicitor should have done? Or I need to organise myself..?

When someone buys a property, they will need to provide their pps number. Obviously an foreign investor with no ties doesn't have a pps number. This is the step where they need to ask why would they hand out a pps number to someone who lives in China?

Living the life

There used to be a "cash for residency" scheme operated by the government where foreign investors could get a Stamp 4 visa by investing a few million in Irish businesses or REITs. It closed this year though.

I work with a few Chinese guys and mentioned what I read here to them. They said it's a little true, generally some families in China will send children to study here, and the child will purchase property to live in. This is a small minority though. Most Chinese in Ireland are no better off than anyone else.

Anyone with an IRP (Irish residency permit) gets a PPS number, and getting an IRP is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

But the "Golden Visa" or "Cash for Residency" visa's that you mention ONLY cost €500,000, not as you stated " a few million" AND that visa allowed you to bring many 10's, if not 100's of distant family members, in on the back of 1 deposit. The reason it was stopped was that WE (Irish Public) found out about it, and they had to stop it, a bit like what we are finding out about all these MEN ONLY families that we are importing now

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

There are a few different investments, costing different amounts.

How do you mean the Irish public found out? Was it hidden? It's on the government website.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭frank730

your solicitor will sort it out, remind him again if he hasn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

Can I ask a question on the 10%, do you have to have the actual 10% to send to the solicitor, we sent 2% to Estate Agent as the booking deposit. We are selling our house with over 400k in equity. We are only borrowing about 190k. I assumed the 10% needed would come from the sales proceeds of our house, am I wrong?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

You'll need a further 8% for the deposit, and its upfront. Assuming you are trying to carry out the selling/buying relatively simultaneous, you'll need the deposit before you see the sales proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is there anyone else having problems with the myhome.ie website? I'm finding it completely flaky. On one device it I have it always fails to load the webpages, and on the another device it was still working until lately. I thought it was just me initially until I was in someone else's house one day and we had the same problem on their laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hi, has anyone had a gp questionnaire sent out by the insurance company for mortgage protection due a parent who had an illness previously but you yourself have been given the all clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's been brutal for me for ages, pages going back 10 pages in the middle of a search, having to start again etc

This weekend nothing would work on it. Painful

Omg yes MyHome is brutal lately. Today I couldn't load it at all.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Same experience with MyHome, I just happened to switch broadband provider so assumed it was that. Just deleted the iOS app and now I can’t even find it on the Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I saw this pattern in action last time I bought a property (2014). Every viewing I went to in north inner city was stacked with foreign buyers with Chinese being the most numerous. Sellers favoured cash buyers therefore mostly foreigners.. demanding hard evidence via bank statements etc etc of the cash. Young couples with their mortgage offer letters in hand didn't stand a chance. I was gazumped many times with the last being an Israeli (wtf?). It was obvious that the foreigners were targeting buy to let style properties. An even more extreme version of this tactic is Portugal where the Govt threw in a very generous tax deal on top to entice foreign buyers. As a consequence prices are now at Irish levels but the wages sure as hell are not. Thus the local young first time buyers on 90% mortgages are totally locked out. I'm trying to move out to the country to a regional town (with services) but as another poster commented there is a rapidly diminishing differential these days as there was pre Covid. Btw...most Asian countries forbid non citizens from buying local property. Funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

Talk to your solicitor, he may be able to negotiate a much lower amount for when you sign contracts, if your new property is second hand. As long as the amount is meaningful it might be ok, particularly if the value of the house your are purchasing is in the higher bracket. If you are trading up to say a €700K house, it is not expected for people to have €70K on deposit when you already have substantial equity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s how I’m buying out new house. Trading up and using equity as the deposit. No way had i €40k lying around.

Advertisement