Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Cordero misses out on the Argentinian RWC squad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

His Instagram post e suggests he feels he has a point to prove after being left out. Connacht to be the big winners here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ivana Kiripati, whose parents both played for Buccs, named for what is I believe her debut. She was also on the first women's Irish u20 squad this year. One to watch for sure. Her brother, Koronato, played for Ireland u18s a couple of years back but would have lost a lot of development to COVID, did play for the Eagles in 2021 but was most recently with Naas in the AIL.

Karly Tierney, Clara Barrett, Laoise McGonagle, and Kayla Waldron were also in that u20 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Young connacht women was very good. Connacht 18 v 17 Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Forgive my ignorance on the women's side but is there a reason Beibhinn Parsons isn't playing for them? Is it injury or is she locked into the 7's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

In interpros f9r Connacht or 15s for Ireland?

7s almost certainly the reason

Cian is now No8 of ireland vs England. This is not a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

I see that Dr. Josh Murphy is taking a break from Connacht for the 23/24 season to go do a medical internship in Dublin, playing for Clontarf in the AIL while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

As agreed when he signed his contract to move west. We are rich in second rows at the moment and can afford him a sabbatical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A definite loss but Connacht actually have some decent depth in the back 5 of the pack now. Should be able to get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Gaztric

No update on the academy. Might Ronan Foxe or Matthew Lynch be considered? I know we already have Barrett and West, but both Foxe and Lynch have potential, particularly Foxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah we expected that, even with Murphy covering 2 positions

that's why prendergast 8 is all-right too

4 Joyce/D.Murray (experience + huge promises)

5 Thornbury/N.Murray (experienced injury prone + Ireland contender)

5/6 Dowling (a hell of a back-up to have, never disappoints)

6 SHL/Boyle (Hurley's been amazing in his 1st season + Boyle has to be back to his best at some point)

7 Oliver/McCormack (solidity and involvement + player who's no more in developpement phase)

8 Prendergast/Jansen (Irish international + raw material but guy who already played HCup as 8 with Leicester)

looks all good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Thought all the Connacht lads did well today. With an obvious bit of bias here I think Finlay is better than his counterpart these days and deserves to start

At last saturday's match, Cian Prendergast consentrated 80 full minutes almost around the ball with very strong-fitted phisycality and mentality (especially pacience). As that result his stats was at very high revel. Connacht fans have Known his ability since his debu. But many people (include some pundits) have seemed not to think so. At the last quarter, after Hansen's nice tackling, Prendargust fastly ran and jackaled. But it was denied because of the other player's off-side.that's very impessive for me, after that agressive playing, he went back Ireland gallline and tackled against Kyle Sincler (could not stop to be scored regrettably). Looking at that performance, could they (include Ireland coaches) say that he don't fit for 33 squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Prendergast did himself a world of good with his performance on Saturday and it looks to me like they picked him at 8 to see how he'd go, since his abilities in the other backrow positions are known. For me, Farrell is going for flexibility in players considering the likelihood of injuries in the World Cup, which is why Prendergast is considered ahead of Coombes. Aside from his couple of mistakes at the start, which I'd put down to nerves and naivety, I'd be amazed if he doesn't go after that performance.

19 / 14 split he goes

18 / 15 (which would be an error IMO) and despite Coombes/Treadwell out, he may miss because of Baird n McCarthy

Talk that Cordero might have done his ACL. Connacht have confirmed he suffered a "significant knee injury" anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Horrible injury for anyone, especially for an aging back three player. Hope he makes a speedy recovery

What an absolute sickener for the player and Connacht. Down Cordero and Josh Murphy before a ball will be kicked. Albeit for very different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Any idea what Liam McNamara’s story is ? Will he be fully committed to Connacht or in and out with the 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Signing with Connacht so focus will now be with them rather than 7s

Probably see a good bit of him at 15 now with the Cordero news

May it be PCL (4 months) rather than ACL (6)?

Probably won't see Mack until the Christmas schedule of games so with Cordero gone as well, Connacht suddenly look a bit light in the back three.

Had flashbacks of the Boshoff injury when I heard the news. His Connacht career never really got going after that.

Numbers wise will be be okay. If the 7s lads and jennings can step up, should be fine. Expecting big things from Kilgallen and Jennings this season

11 Porch Smith

14 Killgallen Ralston Bolton

15 Jennings McNamara TOH McNulty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't know. I was assuming that himself and Smith were going to be and out.

I thought the plan was olympic year give a potential fringe player who is valuable to the sevens squad some money and they can provide some cover and depth.

I think there will be vacancies after murphy 's leave. How Connacht use it?

And I'm a little bit worry that Hansen could get an injury at Samoa's game. Is it too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cordero picked up a serious knee injury in training. Players will get injured playing/training rugby. Way too much chat about injuries against a specific side

• Advertisement

Samoa, along with all teams, know World Rugby got dogs abuse over suspensions between Sexton and Farrell so anything deemed dirty will likely result in missing World Cup games. They're not going out there to wreck players that aren't in the same pool as them.

Advertisement