Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

other than you want to go back to a time when no foreigners lived here.

Why is this so radical to you? Or the modern world in general? Humans largely lived like this for a large part of humanity, and choose to live like this because they wanted to. Not all relics of the past should be abandoned in the name of modernism, in the name of just because. It's not to say that we should be some sort of ethno state, but there's literally nothing wrong with keeping a very small and managed immigrant population, especially when there's many societal benefits.

People are tribal and will always feel more comfortable with their tribe, you'll never break that, it's impossible, so it shouldn't be ignored. Why play with fire? The fabric of society? All in the name of profit for some and feeling good for others, both groups largely being a minority in the nation at the end of the day too.

No one voted it for this, it was all be forced on us.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...if people are off having babies, you ll find, they aint working, or at most their engaging in less productive, part time work, once again, for many years, if not decades, as they try provide themselves and their loved ones with their needs, how do you propose to fund the increase in services required for such a society, baring in mind, overall welfare costs would significantly increase during this process?

yes, once again, many immigrants are in fact adults themselves, some are even well educated and trained adults, ready for employment, new born babies on the other hand well generally require years, if not decades of state supports in order for them to be capable of working, now again, how do you propose to fund all of the requirements required for such?

how do you propose to fund all of the requirements required for such?

Are we a rich nation or not? The pros on this thread keep telling us how rich and prosperous we are, yet feign about economic worries when it suits them. You can't have it both ways.

I'm pretty sure you're a great supporter of state support in general from your posting history, yet now you act worried about said state support? You don't even care about what you're saying in my opinion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...we need to be very careful about the whole wealthy thing, wealth in the modern age is ultimately stored in the value of assets such as property, if your country needs more money in order to run itself, more expensive houses definitely wont help the situation.....

...so its all relative....

my previous questions still stand, if you want more babies, how do you fund such an economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Forced by whom? People move here because they want to move here : people leave because they want to leave. The various mass emigrations of the past 100 years would not have been wanted by any Irish government and were therefore happening against their own wishes (no sign whatsoever of shadowy elites in the background pulling the strings).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most of the 195 countries in the world do not have mass immigration. A few do.

I'd propose a humane variation on what Dubai does. Pay guest workers (but pay them properly, and let them work in proper conditions obviously) to build housing infrastructure. Put them in emergency pre-fab accommodation (e.g. modular homes) while here. Then when they're done, send them back home with their savings. This will also help Ireland's reputation abroad among their home countries as (hopefully) they will have fond memories of living and working in Ireland.

Lots of Polish builders came here as guest workers in the 2000s and then bought a house in Poland with high Irish wages they had saved up. Many never intended to stay permanently despite sentimental articles by clueless Irish journalists about how these Polish had become 'a part of Ireland'.

Now the above will not be acceptable to many because there are all kinds of mixed motives at play. But its a good idea. Bringing in builders as permanent immigrants is somewhat circular because those people then need houses to live in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s impossible to have a discussion with you when you are persistently ignoring the demographic reality as it pertains in Ireland today. You’ve been presented with the facts around our fertility rate and population pyramid, both of which are relatively healthy.

Given that reality, it wouldn’t take very much to incentivise a relatively small % increase in the fertility rate, plus encouraging sensible levels of supplementary immigration to ensure Ireland remains demographically healthy for many decades into the future. That’s the reality and the starting point for any discussion around this topic.

You just can’t help yourself, can you? You don’t have the ability to make a point without referencing shadowy elites, les grand replacement, anti-immigration guys, or more such related rubbish in an attempt to discredit those who think differently to you. Zero credibility at this point.

If there are no shadowy elites, then who is "forcing" Ireland to accept immigration? Would it be the entire Dáil perhaps, elected by the Irish people and with no elected representatives of any anti-immigration party?

I’m not claiming Ireland is ‘’forced’’ (I can use quotes too!) to accept immigration. In fact, I believe that controlled, high-skilled inward migration is a net positive for this country.

Are you claiming that the entire Dail is acting in accordance with the wishes of the Irish public on immigration? That same Irish public that has persistently expressed angst about current levels of net migration, which may I remind you, equate to almost 6M immigrants arriving in the US in a single year.

Nice try on layering in the anti-immigration party bit. No doubt you’d love to conflate views like mine with some of the fringe far right parties. Keep trying that and expect to be called out for your nonsense every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I mentioned disability because you were talking about those on welfare to start which is too general as I pointed out to you .

Not getting into a discussion on the rights or wrongs of social welfare here , as you know it's off topic .

Wrong post

I’ve been entirely unambiguous. I’m afraid you’re a little confused.

I don’t believe I’ve ever once mentioned the term ‘overpopulation’. Given you’ve attributed that claim to me, please be so kind as to reference the relevant post / quote. In your own time of course.

Do you see any issue with encouraging replacement level fertility? I don’t. In fact, I’ve done my part with three kids under 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Poland to have referendum on immigration. It will be interesting to see the result.

Poland’s right-wing prime minister has said he will go ahead with a referendum on EU migration reforms, in which voters will be asked if they are willing to accept “thousands of illegal immigrants from the Middle East and Africa”.

This is complete nonsense .

" lockstep housing shortage ' ..it is not .

We have had a shortage of housing building from 2012 on when housebuilding was decimated post crash .

That is not lockstep. It is incremental .

Secondly Ireland does not have a problem with " overpopulation " .

We have a population density that is on the lower scale of countries in Europe, and those who are lower than us are only the Baltic and Nordic countries .

We rank 36 out of 49 countries in Europe , 125 out of 239 in the world .

Here is a map of European pop density ..

The only places that have any level of population are our major cities and they are still on a low pop density in comparison to other cities in Europe . We have a population density of 73 / km 2.

What we need to do is disperse our population better to towns and villages around the country, by decentralising industry and services . This has been ongoing especially since Covid with more people moving to country areas if they can work remotely .

Also a more intensive local council house building programme is needed to catch up on the housing that wasn't built in the last 10 years as shown by a good link here yesterday . ( @Ahwell I think )

Ireland has had too much unused housing until recent years with holiday homes , ghost estates, dereliction , and saying the current housing shortage is due to recent immigration is a facile argument and it is a well known ploy of those who favour a particular type of population control .

Finally when plucking questions out of Junior Cert exam papers ( think it was in reality a Leaving Cert Geography question),

I suggest you read the full question .

It talked about ,yes , scarcity of housing, resources and services , but also food ...why and what was it referring to ? Ireland , Europe ?

No .. It was about the Sahel region , North Africa which is being studied as an example of the worst effects of climate change on the Geography syllabus !

"Africa's semi-arid Sahel region is a crucible of climate change, population movement and jihadist attacks.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres this month called it a "microcosm of cascading global risks converging in one region."

So you got the exam question wrong, the example wrong and the context completely backwards " !

To pull this out and post it as an example in this thread not only beggars belief, but also shows the level of gaslighting or complete incompetence that the rest of us are being subjected to here on this thread .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

It may also be the catalyst for similar referenda across the EU. We certainly are living in interesting times..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you see any issue with encouraging replacement level fertility? I don’t. In fact, I’ve done my part with three kids under 7!

When it comes to fertility and sustainable population growth, the statistics are more concerned with your wife doing her bit, rather than any concerns about men’s fertility… but I got what you meant 😁

That’s why immigrants need to be encouraged to come to Ireland to contribute to the labour market, as opposed to the idea of relying on family friendly policies with increased access to childcare - they’re all well and good, but they don’t influence people’s decisions when it comes to their own families at the level you’re expecting.

Families already have access to childcare, but Government are more interested in encouraging women into the workforce than providing for childcare. Immigrants being employed in the childcare industry for half nothing are expected to provide those services with the expectation that women will gain greater equality with men in the workplace. That hasn’t happened in 20 years, but it hasn’t stopped Government from trying.

By that same logic (and I’m not suggesting it isn’t fundamentally flawed), the expectation in the future is to increase immigration to support an increasing aging population, as opposed to the idea of encouraging women to have more children in order to support a theoretical level of replacement of the population. We’re still well above the average fertility rate for the EU as a whole:

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/03/17/fertility-in-europe-which-countries-have-the-highest-and-lowest-numbers-of-live-births-per

As you see I deleted that post straightaway as it was in error .

You got in fast with the reply , fair dues !

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

We do have a low population density, that is true.

But that does not necessarily mean that we have available resources to manage a large population increase.

We must remember that the ratio of housing/hospitals/schools et al Vs the population is not an even correlation across all countries.

Which means that a country with a high population density may well be best placed to accomodate a large population increase, as it may have a surplus of housing/resources etc.

Similarly, a low population density country, with a housing shortfall and strained services, would likley not have capacity to manage any form of large population growth.

The interesting question with ireland is, how many homes are unoccupied and are in a habitable state?

I suspect there are rather a lot, but that they are mostly owned privatley and the owners do not wish to rent them out or sell them and prefer to sit on the asset.

The govt should have built many more properties over the last few deacades, for multiple reasons.

If they had done so, we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now and we would be able to accomodate more asylum seekers, as well as address the domestic social housing list.

In short, the current issues with accomodating asylum immigrants is mostly down to the govts lack of investment in housing and services.

Which is the same root cause of our long social housing list and also the overpriced rents that are being paid under duress, by those that can afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

Zero chance of us ever having a say unfortunately in the foreseeable future anyway.

• Advertisement

That’s fine. You’re gracious enough to confirm that you were wrong. No issues.

It's beyond disingenuous, maybe even vile, the way you constantly pretend that there's no mechanisms to control immigration and that our nation is and always has been a borderless place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nice try on layering in the anti-immigration party bit. No doubt you’d love to conflate views like mine with some of the fringe far right parties. 

But there's no party (although there are a few disparate 'rural independents') advocating the kind of 'controlled immigration' policies you favour either.

That same Irish public that has persistently expressed angst about current levels of net migration

How have they expressed this angst? Through opinion polls & calls to Liveline? These forums have no standing in a democracy. The only meaningful way to make your voice heard is through the ballot box. And if no candidates with a coherent 'controlled immigration' platform are returned to the Dail at the next general election, the established parties will have a mandate to carry on their current course, irrespective of any Virgin Media polls...

I agree pretty much with that and have said similar all along.

If you look at the population growth in the Worldometer link , you can see we don't really have a high growth ...it meanders along in a pretty even line over the years , and has been rising slowly since the mid 1980s.

It's totally a problem of an incremental lack of good management on an inter party/ governmental level over the years , provision of essential services, health , housing , childcare all have been allowed to lag behind or worse .

If this situation is not dealt with ( housing and health, gp services ) with more urgency by our present government, it may not be a swing to the right exactly , but it will cause more needless unrest and displaced anger among those who are most affected .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I was reading that from another thread.

This line intrigued me.

"The court heard the accused works as a labourer earning €700 a week, plus €30 social welfare"

Can you actually earn 700 quid and still get an extra 30. Or is that just the 30 quid allowance they get.

Are unskilled migrant workers any less valuable to the Irish economy i.e. those working in hospitality, retail, the health service, nursing homes, public transport, agriculture, food industry etc?

Aye, that article seems a bit confusing alright. It probably does refer to the daily expenses allowance, as asylum seekers aren’t entitled to apply for social welfare benefits until their claim for refugee status is granted:

• An a protection applicant is not entitled to social welfare support. They are subject to a means test and if they cannot live independently, they receive payment referred to as the Daily Expenses Allowance (DEA). 

https://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/faqs/do-people-seeking-asylum-receive-social-welfare

I think the point is that while high-skilled inward migration is a net positive for this country, so too is unskilled inward inward migration a net positive for this country. Obviously both forms of immigration are something we have more control over than the amount of control we have over the numbers of immigrants seeking asylum. Different conditions apply to asylum seekers, conditions which are in accordance with our international human rights obligations and our humanitarian endeavours as a nation.

I read it as more of a rhetorical question tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement