Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double yellow lines for taxi pick-up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I break laws on a regular basis.

The bus lane on the Oscar Traynor Road, for instance. Idiotic planning to the extent that local Gardai ignore trespassers.

100kph on the M50 in light traffic on a clear dry day?

80kph on a dual-carriageway flyover with the original heavily-populated road going under it legislated to be legal for 100kph (if you're insane)?

There are many speed limit anomalies throughout the country.

40kph along the Quays after the last pedestrian crossing at the bridges? Why?

80kph through several pedestrian crossings on the Tallaght bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

What's idiotic about the bus lane on the OT Road? I don't like it either but I struggle to see how it's different from lots of other bus lanes. There is often a camera van at the eastbound lane just after the motorway slip road and that suggests that some policing of compliance is being undertaken. It certainly leads to car drivers not shooting into the bus lane there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Very petty of the Guard in my opinion, 2 points for that is crazy, best of luck, hope it gets thrown out in court. no judge will be happy to see you get 2 penalty points over that non event.

my local train station this week, people parked on the footpath all day to head off to the Fleadh, no tickets issued but this guy stopped for a few seconds and gets treated this way, bad form.

dont mind all the people who seem delighted by your run in with the Guard, they are just taxi driver haters, as if none of them ever did similar.

Taxi drivers have to pick people up in awkward locations at times, nature of the job, the guard should have had some consideration and cop on.

Its like one time a female Guard started roaring at me for stopping in town on a very busy night, as I was driving through the town, a group of people approached me in the middle of the road, they stood right in front of me, obviously I stopped, what else could I do? she roars at me "you cant stop there" ah what am I supposed to do run them over?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Common sense is often uncommon as in this case.

A taxi is an SPSV not a private car.

It makes no sense to be prosecuting an SPSV from fulfilling it's function by picking up a member of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 asaptaxi

People can hay an spsv on their own location. Should the driver, then ask the customer to keep walking till you reach a place without double yellow lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And by 'have to pick people up in awkward locations' you mean 'don't bother their arse finding a safe, legal location' presumably.

Well, yes.

Yes, sometimes you have to stop to accommodate elderly people who cant walk far, I stop in one way streets often, has to be done as there is zero parking in my local town, the cars behind just have to wait, thats the way it is, I dont mind if it happens with other motorists. im lucky the Guards are very easy going usually in my local town and in Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You "came down" - does that mean you got out of your car? If so, you parked and illegally so if still on the double yellow lines. Read the rules of the road and follow them in future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are the taxi driver, you should know the rules and if you don' then YOU are the one who needs to go and look them up and when you do you can come back and tell us. Otherwise what you are basic telling us is that you should not be on the road.

No she didn't. I would love if she had tried to give me a ticket, I have dash cam and cctv in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Is this not the section for boards.ie feedback and questions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved from Feedback to Current Affairs/IMHO.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

To be honest if the taxi was not blocking the road and only stopped very briefly I dont see the problem, I reckon there is a bit more to this story that the op has not told us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Where does the OP state the garda was female?

And what difference does it make if they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

While still in your car you were only "stopped" on double yellow lines for pickup, however you were caught as having parked the second you left your car. By definition parking your car is "the action of bringing a vehicle that one is driving to a halt and leaving it temporarily, typically in a car park or by the side of the road." and as you left your car to engage the guards they had cause at that time to cite you for parking, which there is no recourse for.

Had you remained in your car and passenger quickly entered and you drove away, i would say it is unlikely you would have picked up a fine/points.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭prunudo

And then the gardai wonder why they loose the respect of the general public. A person who was out trying to earn a living, stopped for a brief period to pick up a fare. Yes you're not allowed park on double yellow line, but if the garda was any way decent, they'd have a short chat, explain its not permitted and not to do it again. Why get normal peoples backs up while scumbags run rampage in the city, easy targets, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

For those unsure, the interpretation section of the 1961 Road Traffic Act states parking is:

“park”, in relation to a vehicle, means keep or leave stationary, and cognate words shall be construed accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But stopping at a red light is parking, its just not illegal to do. The phrase "parked at a red light" or "parked at a junction waiting to go" would not be unheard off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭mobby

We only have one side of the story here and don't know the full interaction. But hey let's blame the garda for doing his job. OP if you have an issue tell it to the Judge. I see taxi drivers in and around the city centre do what they like as regards rules of the road. U turns on busy streets, breaking lights stopping on double yellow lines. Stopping in the middle of the street to pick up fairs. Congratulations to that garda for doing his bloody job.

True, maybe they failed the h'attitide test and the garda decided to forego discretion and went straight to the little black notebook.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The garda in the OP did use discretion which was blatantly ignored when the OP instructed the passengers to get in the car after the garda told the OP to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup, only one side here. We don't know the location, if there have been numerous complaints about that kind of action, was is safe to do so, did it stop other traffic, is there a pick up point/taxi stand nearby, too many variables. But I will say that taxi drivers seem to think the rules of the road and traffic laws don't apply to them, because they're "just trying to make a living". We can't pick and choose the laws we obey, but when we have people on here openly admitting to consistently breaking the laws that they don't find suitable for their situation, what hope have we in general...

During my time as a Garda, I was the cause of a number of taxi "strikes", because I had the cheek to not let them park and block the only access to a cul de sac where a good few elderly people live, resulting in an ambulance being unable to get in there on a number of occasions. How dare I. Shur they were only trying to make a living. Traffic law needs to be enforced more, but the poor precious craturs only trying to make a living or go about their business will be affected. The same ones who pick and choose which laws to obey.

The level of driving in Ireland is shocking, and the sense of entitlement is alive and well.

I read it as the garda asked the passengers to get in and then asked the driver to the back for a chat. But yeah, can see it the other way now too.

As was mentioned, 2 sides to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Taxis stopping abruptly to pick up a fare is my pet hate - they seem to just slam on the brakes regardless of what danger they present to other road users - all they have to do is firstly indicate and then slow down and stop where safe to do so-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The UK has nothing to do with this - except for the fact that most of our legislation was (for a long time) copied and pasted from them.

As the previous poster said, the UK has the double red, which means no stopping - thereby creating the distinction between stopping and parking. We don't have double reds, which leads to this grey-ish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Fairly sure OP said he was booked on an app and showed the Gardai where he had been booked to. So wouldn’t have been an abrupt stop.

when I see illegal taxis operate in my local town, I dont tend to worry about bending the rules a bit, fcuk it, who cares. The taxi business is a ruthless game, most taxi drivers would sell their granny for a fare so you have to be the same as them, if your competitor pulls up on double yellows to get a fare, you have to as well, or you will be going home with feck all money in your pocket at the end of your night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's grand, but you also have to then be willing to accept any fine or action as a result of your breaking of the rules. Most will throw a strop.

Advertisement