Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

The price is low indeed, 9.50 euros including 2 eggs? For nothing!

Rösti with bratwurst & salat would set you back 30-35+ CHF in Bern or Zürich, without the eggs. Although, Swiss would turn up their noses at the burnt rösti in the pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

New burger restaurant opening in Blarney.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm not too familiar with Youghal, but would it be accessible by the bus route to the town? (I don't drive).

It does look a bit far out from the town centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I cannot fathom the price of a burger in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not really, head along the beach away from the town, onto the board walk and it's there after the first section of bw tucked in by the shop. It is good to be fair.

• Advertisement

Crazy prices, unless the meat is some premium quality, but even then... nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

€3.50 extra for any variation on the burger and the burger nearly €10😲

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We had lovely cod and skinny chips along with good salad for €18.50 each today, in the Firgrove Hotel, Mitchelstown. The cod had a light batter, done with fizzy water IWT. Worth dropping off the motorway for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As above, or an 8 minute walk from the main road according to maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Went to Moody in town https://www.moodycafevin.com/

Liked the platter, wine selection and sitting outside.

• Advertisement

Their multiple angry signs saying toilets only for customers, no bags etc really puts me off going there. That and its "Tapas by numbers" menu. Oh and the management responses to negative reviews are knarky and humourless.

It's probably not for me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Spitjack today for lunch - I love their chicken Cesar salad - the best in Cork IMO, obviously because of that juicy, luscious chicken and lashings of dressing :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Thanks for that. I'm a recent convert to the Caesar salad so looking to try places that do it well! Had the one at Brown's Brasserie in BTs the other day and thought it was good. The chicken wasn't dry which is often a problem with chicken salads I find. Had a nice balance of flavours with a good dressing. Did you ask for the dressing on the side at Spitjack or do they dress the leaves and give you a generous jug of dressing as well????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

But it's only an extra 3.50 to wash it down with a can of Lucozade.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Hi, well Browns Brasserie is actually run by the people who own the Spitjack so you probably got a very similar Caesar salad! I haven’t been to Browns myself - you just reminded me of it. Yes, in the Spitjack they give you the jug of dressing as well as dressing the leaves - it really is delicious! They cook the chicken on a rotisserie so that is definitely what makes the difference to other Caesar salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I'll admit, when the dressing is on the side I give it a really strong side-eye. I hope the answer is they asked for it like that!

*rant incoming, soz to those who get their dressing on the side, I'm going to be judging you now. >:D

How is it possible to dress a salad well on a plate? I can't manage it at home without a big bowl to toss it around. You then end up using the dressing as a dip/sauce, it's all unevenly distributed with big gloopy puddles, or splattered on yourself. And from my student days working in a restaurant in the US, where "on the side" was popular, the people who get it on the side need way more, because they can't do it thinly without the bowl. The portion of dressing for on-the-side was twice what it was for dressed in the kitchen... otherwise we would be asked for more. Is it that you want the extra? Just ask for extra then?

Getting it right, not too heavy, or not too light is a skill the chefs should have, that I don't, because I don't make 50 salads a day. What am I paying for if they don't dress it, it's just a pile of ingredients not assembled into a meal. I might as well buy a tesco pillow pack of lettuce and squeeze out the plastic sachet, sitting in a dingy bedsit with one tiny table for a kitchen. It's the same reason I don't like the Hot Rock fad, or fondue chinoise, where you get a rock or a pot of boiling water and cook your own stuff... If I wanted to cook my own food I'd use my own kitchen, not make an unholy mess trying to cook on an eating table.

I don't trust kitchen staff to not overdress (for my taste) a salad. One person's perfectly dressed salad could have twice as much dressing as another's perfectly dressed salad. For this reason, I ask for salad dressing on the side (and because the dressing might be rank), notwithstanding the valid point about it being better to dress a salad in a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

I think best way to dress a salad is in a bowl with some appropriate implements but overdoing it and drowning the leaves is not uncommon which is one of the reasons I've been wary of Caesar salads to date! I was just wondering if they were serving undressed leaves in Spitjack because of the jug of dressing but leahyl confirmed it was extra. I also thought people requested dressing on the side to avoid the calories contained in the dressing. If people want to eat dry leaves dolloped with the occasional blob of dressing who am I to stand in their way!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Has anyone tried The Glucksman, where Bo Bo's used to be in UCC grounds? I think it's owned by Joes & Bros, new sister cafe?

5 Points Cafe on McCurtain Street is fabulous (although I really should keep that to myself 😂). Very good value, excellent food - all sandwiches I think but generous portions, nice coffee, good music and friendly staff, always queues - good sign.

• Advertisement

Don't think you're keeping anything to yourself with Five Points - it's pretty popular with a lot of people! Although I actually haven't been to the one on McCurtain St yet, just the one in Marina Park - that's mainly cos it's either too busy when I go or else it's closed - they close early enough on a Saturday.

Looking forward to trying the place in the Glucksman, I'm working in UCC so hopefully will get there soon. It looks nice 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Another nice place is the Saucy Cow in the Marina Market, Vegan food, oh so good. Salt & Chilli Tofu is gorgeous, and their loaded fries are delicious too although they could be more generous with the garlic mayo, altogether was €18. Plenty for two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Went to Spitjack for lunch. Wasn't overly impressed. Very chaotic but lots of empty tables. We were forgotten about for 15 mins when it came to ordering. Food took another 30 mins.

2 teens had pancakes (ok) and waffles (dry and possibly pre purchased). Very expensive imo for those. I had Cesar salad, chicken lovely, but salad and dressing, including bacon were tasteless imo.

Felt rushed out, not asked if we wanted desserts or coffee, speed of bill, and card machine produced in quick succession, even though there were empty tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Anywhere in town that does a nice monkfish fish? Or even outside of town. Could drive 30 mins or so.

I'd rather not be ripped off i.e. not looking for a Michelin star place that gives you a small nugget of monkfish for €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Goldie?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

Had a look at the monkfish dishes on google. They look like starters. I think I'd just be angry if I went there. I'm a tall lad and am usually left starving when I go to expensive restaurants. The more expensive the restaurant the more starving I get.

Might just try and cook it myself at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

I really enjoyed Goldie (first & only visit was last month).

The main course portions are small. So you’d end up supplementing them with sides.

The food is great.

Service very much fell off a cliff once we’d received our main course, disappointing.

I remember getting monkfish from the Golden Fry, but that was years ago, and I don't think they'd have it every day.

Quinlan's might be a worth look, but I don't see it on their menu.

Quinlans is a lovely fish resturant - not sure if they have monkfish on the menu though but maybe they'd have it as one of their specials...

• Advertisement

Monkfish is easy to cook. Just ask your fish monger to make sure the silver skin is off. That's a pain to get off cleanly.

Just pan fry it in nice chunks. It's fairly forgiving in my experience. A nice sauce on the side. Easy!

Advertisement