Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thanks for your insightful post. Telling me how I think, how wise of you.

And the fashion industry isn’t to judge people, it’s to enjoy the art.

You must be a real pleasure to be around, judging all those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Look at this fecker wearing a red watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh Jesus, this is just silly. You’re well aware the point is that people form judgements of other people based upon their appearance. Those judgements can be either positive or negative depending upon the individual’s own perception which is informed and influenced by their experience and knowledge. The fashion industry is a good example of the phenomenon because it is primarily based upon appearance, aesthetics, or what you call art (placed on human clothes hangers). The industry isn’t too fond of models with visible tattoos either, and it can have a negative impact on their potential employment prospects.

The AGS isn’t any different in that regard in that they have to be conscious of the fact that the general public’s perception of AGS matters. It’s not just about individual Gardaí dealing with the public and how they interact with the public, it’s about the public perception of the Gardaí, which involves a whole slew of factors, only one of which means being conscious of the general public’s prejudices against people with visible tattoos.

An attempt to reduce the influence of those biases and prejudices is the rationale behind why the appearance of members of AGS is important, just as important as representation of members of minority communities is essential in being able to relate to members of minority communities. It’s why they have recruitment drives aimed at attracting members of the traveller community to become members of AGS, while at the same time requiring that all recruits are required to cover up any visible tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just being pedantic for the lols here, but this lad is breaking so many rules...

• Visible tattoo
    • Beard could be neater and is possibly longer than 2cm
    • He's wearing a high viz stab vest cover on the Regular uniform, pretty sure that's not part of the Regular uniform (open to correction)
    • Crease in trousers is not visible enough (compare to the Sergeant)
    • Sergeant is wearing the Community Policing high viz on the Regular uniform
    • Lace on his right boot is a bit loose and hanging down
    • Trouers are too long
    • Boots are nowhere near the level of shiny required
    • Looks like his Asp is attached to his high viz staps rather than his belt
    • Epaulettes should also be going over high viz shoulder
    • Watches are not to be visible
    • Doesn't look like the official issue utility belt (again, open to correction here)
    • Sergeant possibly a dose for having hand gel attached to his utility belt...

Gas thing is, there are some of Sergeant rank and above who would consider the above far more important that the ability of that Garda to do their job. You can see how strict the rules are. I can understand some things from a safety point of view. Rules say you can wear a wedding band but nothing with a stone, whereas common sense would say you don't wear anything for fear of whatever that word is for deskinning your finger! And while that uniform was uncomfortable, one size fits all, collars made by people who don't wear shirts, and heavy trousers for jumping over walls and ditches... it's still better than the current Lidl one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

@Potential-Monke

I've sort of read your posts. Just to clear things up for me.

Can a Garda have a visible tattoo or not? I'm talking about arm, elbow, etc and not face/hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No.

5.20.5 Make-up, Fingernails and Body Art (Tattoos)

Make-up may be worn but must not under any circumstance be excessive. Hands will be kept clean. Nails will be kept at a length that will not interfere with duties, and coloured nail polish will not be worn. False nails will not be worn by members when in uniform. Body Art (Tattoos) on the face, or visible above the collar, are not permitted. All other tattoos will be covered at all times while on duty, whether in uniform or plain clothes. 

So you can have them anwyere outside of face or neck above the collar, they just can't be visible. I'm assuming these lads were sent home maybe because the new uniform doesn't have a long sleeve option for the polo... I dunno. And possibly because the tattoo goes down onto their hands/beyond the cuff line.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks I was fairly sure I've seen Gardaí with tattoos in the past.

I sort of do get why some would have thought they were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah yeah, we did discuss nasty tats in earlier posts already . And about covering them up also ..

I take your point about difficulty in deciding what is or isn't acceptable if they go down the visible tattoo allowed route .

I just think that it's time the AGS bit the bullet , so to speak (!) and made those decisions instead of turning away perfectly good candidates .

Or allow a uniform that covers it up . Even those above the collar or below the cuff can be covered with many sportswear attire that could be incorporated into a more flexible uniform policy .

It's done in other fairly established trustworthy and public facing professions eg doctors and nurses so I don't understand the reticence at this stage ...very conservative .

In dress uniform which we can assume is not worn every shift except special occasions , that there are no timid people around who may be shocked by a tattoo !

My opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The new uniform does have a long sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

You got the tattoo because ‘you wanted to’…..you are definitely not being honest here….you got it because you perceive it will enhance your appearance, fit in with your mates, will get you more attention from the opposite sex, make you appear ‘cooler’ than you are…….I blame David Beckham and the myriad of other over paid sports brats for the prevalence of ‘tats’ in todays society………Wait until you are old and wrinkly and you will see how well they look..🤣🤣…could you imagine a Garda with ‘love and hate’ scribed into his/her knuckles…..🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Why does it matter to you if I or anyone else have tattoos? There's plenty of things we don't need in life, I earn a good living and have plenty of savings.

I don't need them, I chose to get them though. They represent different periods of my life and they're meaningful to me. Next one I have planned is related to a series of books and a writer that has gotten me through some incredibly tough periods in life. After that I'm likely to get one related to dealing with chronic illness, that's gonna need some more planning until I'm happy to do it though.

I imagine there's plenty of things you don't need in life but you do choose to get them. So a live and let live attitude rather than making some pretty lame judgements about people wouldn't be a bad move. (I haven't followed any sporting star or celebrity so I'm pretty oblivious to their tattoo choices 🤣)

Also, plenty of people have tattoos that very few people are even likely to see so it's not really related to "enhancing appearances" for plenty of people.

It’s hardly inconceivable that people would want to get tattoos just because they want a tattoo! Like anything else, sometimes there just isn’t a reason for it. As for the whole “wait till you’re old and it’s all wrinkly”, yeah age generally tends to do that, and if you’re still giving a shyte about that sort of thing when you’re older, you definitely have bigger problems.

FWIW I could imagine a Garda with LOVE/HATE scribed into their knuckles, but I prefer to read my Bible verses tattooed on women’s ribs. It’s generally the only time I ever enjoyed reading passages from the Bible tbh, though such tattoos are often not seen by the general public, for what are usually obvious reasons 😂

That doesn’t mean that AGS have to consider that they should share my standards regarding their policies on tattoos, it’s understandable that AGS is not the place for any form of personal expression given that members are required to wear a uniform and be neat in their appearance and so on. Dress codes are a perfectly normal part of employment with any employer, because employees are a representation of their employer.

I just think that it's time the AGS bit the bullet , so to speak (!) and made those decisions instead of turning away perfectly good candidates

How do you know they're turning away good candidates?

The three lads would have known visible tattoos were not allowed, but they tried to join the Gardai regardless. Didn't engage in any dialogue beforehand about their eligibility. Basically they chanced their arm, hoped the tats wouldn't be spotted or thought maybe the rules wouldn't apply to them.

Does that sound like a "good candidate" for a job where rule-following is essential? A chancer, or someone who thinks rules don't apply to him?

Jesus, are people really this judgemental? And moronic?

It’s no one’s business why I got tattoos, I could care less.

Wait until you’re old and wrinkly as well, you won’t have tattoos but you’ll still be old and wrinkly.

Yeah but there is a slight difference between being ‘old and wrinkly’ with a ‘Tat’ that has turned into a ‘messy multi-coloured blob’ and just being ‘old and wrinkly’ with no accompanying blobs…😀. We will see how cool beckham and Co look at 80/90 years old..🤣

and yes I would say people are generally ‘judgemental’ about appearances/presentation, try doing a job interview in a string vest, flip flops 🩴 and shorts and see how well you get on….? It’s in the human dna to be weary / judgement of strangers as in ancient times strangers arriving in your area usually meant confrontation/war etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A RED WATCH?

Not aimed at you, but there's some amount of nonsense in this thread. I don't have any tattoos, but I don't understand what difference a visible tattoo could make to a Guard's competence unless it was undeniable offensive, i.e., not just offensive to the perpetually offended.

Does anyone remember when nurses had to wear the starched white dresses with the weird hat thing clipped into their hair? When air stewards were all women who had to wear make-up? When women had to cover their hair going to mass? When men had to wear suits and hats? Did the world end when these societal conventions stopped?

I understand why they need to wear a uniform as an identifier in the same way that marked cars are used, but anyone who can't take a Guard seriously because they have a beard or a tattoo needs to give their head a wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah the usual outrage from tattoo fans that not everyone likes/appreciates/validates their choice of self-expression! It's been done so many times before on this site.

I have no tattoos, no interest in tattoos and find most of them dirty, overdone and tacky. What is supposedly an expression of individuality is completely undermined when every other person has one. I've seen otherwise stunning women destroy themselves with the things and for what? To show how unique they are... by doing the same thing as everyone else and drawing all over themselves!

If someone is covered in tattoos (I mean more so the whole "sleeve" thing, or all over their back/legs or anything above the chest/neck) I would also wonder if they are a bit insecure or narcissistic - much the same as with all the Insta-loving brigade who need to shout "look at me!" to the world at every opportunity! How do they handle criticism (again, see many posts in this thread) or different opinions in general? (a wider issues nowadays especially online)

Now all of these are indeed just my perceptions. No-one is forced to agree with them or me (and no I won't be justifying or defending said perceptions for that same reason) and all that said, do what you want with your own body. However, justified or not - other's perceptions and appearances matter and these things have consequences. Depending on the job those consequences may be that you find yourself excluded. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but that's the employer's prerogative - just as with many requirements in the workplace.

The world does not revolve around you and your sense of righteousness or determination on what's important in a job. If you want to play in their domain, you play by their rules, not expect them and everyone/anyone else to change to suit you.

• Advertisement

So many off the wall posters in here, something in the water maybe.

Just don’t get a tattoo (which I’m sure you won’t), we don’t live in ancient times anymore either, but sit in the past if it makes you feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Very self righteous... People, even gards are allowed a level of self expression, within obvious reason. The interview process whould determine someones suitabilty to serve on the force rather than stupid ststements like, they must be some sort of narscasist...

A friend of mine works in a fairly regular job... isn't front facing, but is not allowed to grow a beard... That seems very odd to me, where do these imposed standards end?

BTW, I'm not against dress codes (to some extent) or even uniforms in the right setting... but having that much control on someones body is verging on creepy... Telling someone directly to remove at tattoo is so far over the line, it's verging on abuse.

The only area I would have a differnt view is araound the type of messaging... this might include racist content, power imagery and possibly even face tattoos, as that could effect interpersonal communication...

But I don't see anyone asking you to validate their sense of self expression... No more than I would about your haircut or sense of dress... Even if you want to pass judgement over someone else, it doesn't give you the right to invalidate them as a person... we are much more complex than that as a species.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

But thats not the question... I find plently of thing abhorent, but I don't exclude them from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

There will always be people who look down on and sneer at others for how they dress, what they do etc...some people are always going to have a bizarre, unhealthy interest in how others choose to present themsleves, be it tattoos, clothing, hairstyle, facial hair or whatever...it'll always be something with people, but tattoo's are the last thing an garda siochana need to be worrying about, they're literally on their knees in crisis at the moment and this is what they are worried about? beggars belief really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I don't exclude anyone from society. The Gardai have bigger issues than tattoos

Telling someone directly to remove at tattoo is so far over the line, it's verging on abuse.

There’s no indication of AGS going that far, tattoos are easily covered up with makeup. I guess that hadn’t occurred to the three recruits in the original article in the opening post.

It's literally the headline of the article!

Isn't ironic that you've questioned the intellegence of the recruits only to discover you may not be too bright yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭apache

Advertisement