Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

I would say the opposite.

They usually try to eat the popular party's position, at least temporarily.

They've gained all the traction they're likely to already amongst urbanites by going against farmers interests. Any more will just result in pushback like in Holland.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I went To Tullamore. Traffic no problem, in and out. Only complaint I'd have is, it was difficult to find your way around. Exit's weren't numbered and rows weren't sign posted right. Crowd seemed to be a more genuine rural type. Spent most of the day watching the Limousins, so the machinery only got a quick look. I'd prefer it to the Ploughing anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Didn't make it to Tullamore, had the ticket bought n all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

Im trying to get to Tullamore show with a couple of years now. I reckon it would be a proper livestock farmers show rather than the ploughing which is becoming a joke.

Did you by any chance notice those Lovell tractors?

I've been meaning to start a thread to ask peoples opinions on them.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I want to buy a couple of small items in the US, don't know anyone over there I could ask. Has anyone used a reliable reshipper with a US address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d have the very same to say. I never was at such a badly laid out show. There was too many passageways in the trade stand area and they were going in all directions. Normally you like to start at whatever gate you come in and just go up and down in straight lines and see it all but you couldn’t do that there today.

Very badly signposted too, I gave a few people directions to the cattle and sheep areas as they didn’t know what direction to go.

A lot of tat coming into it now as well, it’ll end up like the ploughing soon.

Probably a bit pricey too at €25 entry although to be fair I don’t think dropping a fiver off the price would really make a difference to the majority of the crowd but if a couple with a few teenage kids are going you would be handing over around €100 at the gate to get in, it’s not a cheap day out.

The stock on show were seriously impressive, a credit to all of the owners the effort and dedication they put into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I've used the "an Post's" Address Pal service, it worked out OK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Good day all round, was helping a friend and he got overall commercial champion with a pair of hoggets. Have to say it's a bad setup for the sheep though. We were fit to calf bringing them from the pen to the ring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

An Post's US address pal works fine.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Thanks, address pal seems to have done the trick 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Fingal show was really badly signposted too. You'd have to wonder what they're thinking setting stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I burned off a field nearly 4 weeks now, had a lot of Ranworth that is black now, can I graze it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I really enjoyed tullamore today. I didn’t think it was badly laid out at all, the same as every other year really, and I did see signposts with the row no on them.

I saw the Lovelle tractor too but didn’t get a look in the cab. Think it was Hanley’s in Roscommon that had it there. Looked very nice from outside. Saw a guy starting it and giving a demo of a split bucket that they had on the loader. Nice bit of kit.

spent a bit of time looking at the cf moto quads too at the Hanley stand. Very reasonably priced I thought

From what I hear of cf moto they don't like abuse and have a poor turning circle ( rules my farm out)

Some painful tweet, by my unreliable maths, the 2nd half of this decade is a mere 15.5 months away. Findo really do think farmers are stupid, will they be proved correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw this on Twitter and thought of the recent few posts re farmers markets:

"...calling for investment in market infrastructure to help markets reach their potential..."

Do DAFM or any other Govt department offer financial supports to set up or expand farmers markets?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mcconalogue has no plan but what he is told and

Once they get the vote they'll beat the living shi7 out of farming, farmers and rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They need to get the science thorough and accurate to have credibility. They have really no idea of base levels even.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The science can't do that at the moment.

The concreteness of a policy and what it requires people to do should be matched to the data that backs it up. Weak data shouldn't be used to support hard policy.

But say that on Twitter and you'll be accused of being a climate denier by the self-appointed green gods.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭50HX

What would 15 continental weanlings average 350kg eat in baled silage for the winter per week?

Good quality 1st cut silage 20th may

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

2.5 bales a week I'd say. Averaged out over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭50HX

Thanks Reggie, I was thinking 2

Baling excess here Thursday, have the option to sell per bale off the field, thinking 15 p/bale

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I know I need about 30 for my 10 here over the winter just to be safe. Also depends on the length of the winter also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Just after getting a right fright there, meal feeding the bullocks and one of the hoors came in under the electric fence behind me. Only the dog went for him I’d say in be knocked out or broke up. You can never be on high enough alert. Lesson for the day a 2nd strand of electric fence around the trocks.

Say it anyway, if you have the info. I have heard people talk about climate denier accusations, I don't see the reason to give a fig, particularly on Twitter 🤷‍♂️

I would be very interested in the climate change issue and in favour of making the required changes in all aspects of business. But it has to be fair and right across the board. Be aware, their are fossil fuel interests deflecting, pointing the finger in all directions, incl farmers. Each sector puts in the effort and that effort based on accurate scientific data. Do the measurement, then the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What teagasc say on the carbon saving ideas for farming.

Whatever of emissions.

End goal, all this will drive farmers crazy with more paperwork, more inspectors, more retirements, less coming into the industry and no difference to climate.

• Advertisement

Well if Teagasc and the Dept of Ag are measuring carbon only to 30 cm depth, we're not off to a good start. Some project in the NW with Farmeye is going to 60 cm. I would say one metre or possibly two metres, esp if a farmer is adopting carbon sequestration land practices. If you don't measure it correctly and completely at the start, you've no base. The roots of some plants in a multi species sward mix go down a long way.

Some of the research indicates if carbon sequestration became a major focus in the grasslands areas of the world, that alone would achieve world GHG targets. I'm willing if someone will pay me adequately.

Advertisement