Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

twenty20-beef-club

• 09-04-2021 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/farm-advice/detail/beef/twenty20-beef-club

Anybody join this? What does glanbia member mean? Does it mean a milk supplier, therefore beef men excluded?

Club Eligibility

Eligibility for Club membership is

open to dairy and beef farmers who
    are willing to commit to the Club
    protocols.
    • Members must be Glanbia Co-op
    members (ROI) or Kepak suppliers.
    • Calves must be finished on the farm
    of birth (Glanbia farmers) or after one
    movement to a finishing farm.
    • Minimum number of animals is 25.
    No maximum applies.
    • All mainstream animal breeds are
    eligible with the exception of Jersey
    and Jersey crosses.
    • Members must have the infrastructure
    and capability to adhere to strict
    production and farming standards.
    • Members will have contractual
    obligations as will Kepak and Glanbia
    Ireland.
    • Calves purchased for the Twenty20
    programme must be born on the
    farms of Glanbia Co-op Members
    and moved directly to Club Members
    farms.
    • Objective selection criteria will be
    applied if oversubscribed.

Looks attractive otherwise. But having to buy all inputs off Glanbia takes a little shine off it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

trabpc wrote: »
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/farm-advice/detail/beef/twenty20-beef-club

Anybody join this? What does glanbia member mean? Does it mean a milk supplier, therefore beef men excluded?

Club Eligibility

Eligibility for Club membership is

open to dairy and beef farmers who
    are willing to commit to the Club
    protocols.
    • Members must be Glanbia Co-op
    members (ROI) or Kepak suppliers.
    • Calves must be finished on the farm
    of birth (Glanbia farmers) or after one
    movement to a finishing farm.
    • Minimum number of animals is 25.
    No maximum applies.
    • All mainstream animal breeds are
    eligible with the exception of Jersey
    and Jersey crosses.
    • Members must have the infrastructure
    and capability to adhere to strict
    production and farming standards.
    • Members will have contractual
    obligations as will Kepak and Glanbia
    Ireland.
    • Calves purchased for the Twenty20
    programme must be born on the
    farms of Glanbia Co-op Members
    and moved directly to Club Members
    farms.
    • Objective selection criteria will be
    applied if oversubscribed.

Looks attractive otherwise. But having to buy all inputs off Glanbia takes a little shine off it.

You have to get them killed in Kepak which means Glanbia Co op member doesn't matter just as long as you buy there. On the face of it, it appears a good scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The bonus is 25c/kg. Club protocol is the same as QA. 25c/kg is worth 80 euro on a 330 kg animal. usually most of these schemes take a 5 euro/head for administrating the scheme. As you are contracted to Keypak you can only take your cattle there. As they will know the cattle are coming you will have to accept there price. Often on these schemes you can receive 5c/kg less than is normally available or 17 euro on that 330 kg carcass

As you have to buy your calves from Glanbia club calf produces who have to carry out certain tasks you will have to pay a premium. There is no AA seasonality breed bonus for November and June the club seasonality bonus is less than that paid for AA. If prices rise above 3.85/kg the bonus is 15c/kg. A maximum price of 4.55/kg not inc seasonality bonus that equates to a base 4.1/kg for HE and AA cattle. Yes for Friesians it a good scheme with bonus and 12c rotocol paid on O-/P grade. Only thing is grading for friesians may be poor in Kepak but it might be worth a gamble. A P+ Friesian would net a 3.82 at a base of 3.85 and at O- a price of 3.91. You would have more play on the base price as well it having to hit 4.2/4.3 before you would start to lose you protocol and club bonus's. Weight ranges are tighter than normal AA and HE scheme bonus's

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Here is the actual brochure.You have to buy ration and inputs from Glanbia will this be fertlizer, dosing etc

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/medias/8507-20-GAB-Twenty20-Brochure-update-2020-FA-SCREEN.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MjIzNjM2NnxhcHBsaWNhdGlvbi9wZGZ8ODkwODM0ODU4ODA2Mi5wZGZ8NDYxMDBjM2QwZmY4ZjI2Mjc5OTdmZjA4ZDYxNDQyNTg4MzVmMzVhNzgzNzIzZDg4MjhkZWE0ZTI4Yzc2Y2Y2Yg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

"As you have to buy your calves from Glanbia club calf producers"

What's significance of this, what are calf club producers?

If i buy calves from dealers am i not eligible?

And finally are these bonuses in lieu of QA bonus or on top of it?

TIA

"As you have to buy your calves from Glanbia club calf producers"

What's significance of this, what are calf club producers?

If i buy calves from dealers am i not eligible?

And finally are these bonuses in lieu of QA bonus or on top of it?

TIA

The 25c/ kg club bonus us the only real addition. No you cannot buy calves from dealers. The calves must come direct from Glanbia Club dairy farmers as calves can only have one movement.

As I said yes if it Friesians you are planning on doing grand. However I think they are going to exclude P grade Friesians from the scheme in a few years time

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks. Seems like alot of red tape.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Seems like alot of red tape.

It not so much red tape but the scheme is loaded. We will assume that the streers on average make 80/ head on the bonus. If Kepak give you 5c/ kg less than the normal market that 18 euro gone. Glanbia may be dipping into you pocket for 10 euro in extra inputs. That leaves 52 euro to share between you and the calf producer. I am not sure from reading the t&c have you to purchase the calf directly through the producer group I imagine you do as they limit the number of cattle in anyone year.

The sire of the calf has to be on the card and he has to have a +30 euro beef value on the ICBF. You be hoping such Fr steers would grade O= but if graded in the wrong plant they could all be O-. What I usually find with buying direct a lot if the time farmers want top mart prices not the average

I can see something in it for a Glanbia dairy farmer that is finishing a few cattle himself. I can see nothing for a farmer that is a calf to beef or store to beef man. As well the top side is limited. While there is a guaranteed minimum price if base falls below 3.5 its easier to see you hitting the top limit than the bottom one. Finally if you have heifers some may not hit the 280kg minimum weight especially if slaughtered off grass at 18 months or even out of the shed at sub 22 months. And you are only looking at an average bonus of 70-75/head on those that do.

For the lad finishing a few Friesians off grass early in the year then it would leave a few bob in it. Assuming they split 40%/60% across P+/O- and you managed to slaughter 40% of them in June and your DW was 340kgs it would be all down to how kind the grading was there would be 80-100/head to play around with. As long as you were not paying too much of a premium for the calves/stores from the dairy farmer it would be an ootion

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that. Priced calf starter nuts in Glanbia today 11.95. local merchant 9.50. €2.45 difference. Assuming 200 days at 1 kg nuts a day. Each calf would eat 8 bags. That's €19.60 per head extra buying from Glanbia. Milk replacer is dearer too. So not for me. Wouldn't add up i think.

Beef is a really tight margin game. 25c/kg is not a lot of money when there is sneaky terms and conditions

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Seems to suit the dairy finisher best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Don't see anything in it, not for the farmer anyway, or course plenty in it for kepak and glanbia, guaranteed supply of cheap beef for kepak and guaranteed sale of ration/milk replacer for glanbia. And for 0.25c they remove all the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

A win for Glanbia and Kepak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Anyone in the Twenty20?

How's it working out?

The local Glanbia was onto me to sign up.

Looking for some pros and cons from members or people who have left it after being a member.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

The abp avantage scheme looks a better option,your not tidied to buy your input from anywhere,weights are a bit more flexible and the bounses are better

As well you can buy any type of animal on there first movement. The other think about it there was no top price penalty.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement