Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

The thing is , Putin has such a latticework of layers of protection around himself, that everyone's health and well being ( not mention financial health and well being ) depends on keeping him alive, and presently the threat that may come from the ranks etc.is surpassed by the threat that would definitely come from Putin. Ultimately, I thing that's what scared Prigozhin. Because, the whole Country went on standby, not taking sies as they waited for the outcome, Putin or Prigozhin. Prigozhin folded. With hindsight, I'd say that maybe it's something he regrets. I think that maybe increasing economic hardship on the population, especially with the winter coming may trigger mass protests that even his brutality will not be able to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Because, the whole Country went on standby, not taking sies as they waited for the outcome, Putin or Prigozhin."

With respect, you keep telling us the average Russian is a brainless chicken who is committed to the system and terrified at every turn, utterly incapable of thinking any other way? So how could they suddenly consider morphing and changing their loyalties? Prigozhin would have brought in his own chaotic systems and people.

Perhaps part of the truth is that they are too comfortable being told what to do but astute enough to consider changes in who tells them, that might line their own pockets with more roubles?

And we're back to the pov that are utterly morally corrupt, they could rise up and march in their hundreds of thousands and millions even and there would be sfa that Putin or Prigozhin could do about it. Russian society has many redeeming points in terms of thought, intellectual rigour, arts, invention, ambition and capacity to graft. I believe that's going down the tubes as it is.

Could you quote the “brainless chicken” reference, please?

I don’t recall the poster ever using that term.

Untrue. Where have I ever said that the average Russian is a brainless chicken? Because the reality is the average Russian is no more brainless than the average Irish or English man, and that's for sure! And they showed their intelligence by not taking sides in the recent Prigozhin / Putin affair. Same as most of the top brass ( after what happened to the aircraft sent to stop Prigozhin, they were in no hurry to send out more, ) They too, sat on the fence. Had Prigozhin succeeded, the whole Country would have erupted in celebrations. " The King is dead, Long live the King". But had they intervened on Prigozhin's side, and the coup failed, the bloodletting Putin would have unleashed would have been ferocious, and put Erdogan's revenge in the shade. So no, they very sensibly choose to wait and see. And lived. The distribution of wealth in Russia is strictly regulated by Putin, and most of is circulated within his circle of Silovicki and Oligarch's, with the general population only getting what they do get through the trickle down system. And and of course, while the Silovicki and Oligarchs are being looked after, they will remain loyal. As for your usual dream of a population rising up, marching on the Kremlin, its just not going to happen. And the main reason why that's not going to happen is that Putin will not have the slightest compunction in calling on his personal National Guard, sworn to protect him, and ordering them to open fire on the thousands and thousands of protesters marching on the Kremlin. And Russian Citizens know this only too well. The only way that it might happen is if it reached critical mass in the army ranks, and the officers led the coup, and supported the protesters,

When the best and brightest have already fled ( and have been fleeing quietly for years ,17 million pre- invasion plus 1.5-2 million draft dodgers ) Russian society is far gone down the tubes, even as it is.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Any reliable sources on how much Russia can produce per month or year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

In May they also sent 220k, assuming that's in addition to and not just an updated figure.

Hard to know DW says its's in addition to:

Kyivpost says in the total figure:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Reading a lot how the counter offensive is a total failure and when you look at how much further there is to the Azov see you'd not feel very positive.

However with the fall of the village yesterday Ukraine have now punched through about 10Km on the road to Mariupol. If you follow the natural line of the river and villages it's about 38km until they reach a settlement which has a station on the train line. This is an important artery for Russian logistics. Another 5km or so past this is the motorway that runs along the South.

Forget reaching the coast this is where Ukraine needs to get to properly **** up Russian logistics in the south. So 10km down, 38km to go. I'm not sure how for they'll get before the mud season kicks in but even getting with 20km of that train station could be enough to permanently disable it with artillery fire. And considering how vital this is they might even continue pushing right through the winter until they finally take it.

This is why Russia has been throwing everything to stop Ukraine taking single villiages here. They know they must hold at all costs. We'll see what happens in the next week if they continue to push on but they'll also need to attack the flanks after making gains so the entire frontline can move up around them.

Zachativka is the name of the town with the train station and like I said it's about 38km to Urozhaine which they just liberated. There's about 6 large villiages along the way so every village they take will be huge progress to achieving this goal.

Whether or not they can capture Staromlynivka will be telling as it's the largest of all the small towns/villages on this path. But they will be slowed down by the fact they need to push sideways before they can continue pushing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If the frontline moves another ~5km further south on the Robotyne front, Ukranian HIMARS can reach the Black Sea and be able to reach all the roads on the land bridge. Even less than 5km to take bridges out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I think this is a good way to look at it. Ukraine don't actually need to fully penetrate all the way to the coast. They only need to make it so far across.

Even half way and any russians operating south of them are gonna be having a bad time. The south is effectively a throat. Close it halfway then force the Russians to fight with 50% oxygen intake. They may simply chose not to. This is why the Russians are throwing the kitchen sink at Ukraine for these first 20km. Ceding land in favour of better positions can only work to a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Ruble goes through the 100r to $ barrier for the first time. Will be interesting to see if it stays there.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

I'm pretty sure I can think of another factor that's caused the weakening of Russia.

As ever Putin remains a master strategist

Post edited by mike_cork on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Beautifully put.

By extension, shall we fúck all russian men, women and children who have nothing to do with this or is it cool to wish harm upon every citizen because of the actions of their government?

I mean, it sounds great when you say that, but can you transpose that to any other culture/religion/race and safely say that you would happily gloat in the misery of others based not on their actions, but the actions of people representing them?

but sure put a blue and yellow flag in your window. You are helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Apologies-I did indeed mean Russia! i have edited my original comment.

If they hadn't started this awful war the Russian economy would be motoring along nicely. Instead they've made themselves an international pariah, been sanctioned by western partners and spent billions on a pointless war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I don't like this thinking that we should blame every Russian citizen for what Russia is doing in Ukraine. It's like those on social media mocking the poor Russian attacked and eaten by a shark just because he was Russian.

Similarly however it does annoy me that some people would absolve the whole Russian population and just try and pin all this on Putin and their regime. Many in Russia, and Russians living abroad are actively cheering on this war, while others are just pretty meh to it and don't really care.

This is not just Putins war and that can not be overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

I like it: from a man tho has stood up to Trump as wall as Putin. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Very telling interview from Russian volunteers in occupied Ukraine. They almost seem confounded/confused that the local population doesn't accept them.

Russian Mir has been a long time in the making. They need to be shocked out of their arrogance.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Through the years, countries have been ruled by totalitarian leaders, half of Europe would have at some point or another. Russia still is, so yes there are a group in Russia that condemn this war and hate what Putin represents, they prob stay quiet for obvious reasons. BUt they are a minority, at some point the people of russia will rise and change the regime.

For now we have innocent people in Ukraine going through hell, if Russians want to fight and die, and a lot of them are. Then they should fight and die in Russia. Until then, when someone says "all Russians should die", well I for one won't speak against that, yes that would cause many honest Russians pain and suffering, but while Ukr people are going through a living hell then thats a perfectly acceptable position. Maybe if Russian people had a choice, rule under Putin or attack from outside Russia, that might change the internal politics within Russia.

You see, It does come down to a black and white decision, while Russian people do nothing to change their system, people outside Russia pay the price. So the people of Russia need to know that stance will hurt them. Like they say, you get the Govt (leaders) you deserve.

I assume you agree that we should take in as many Ukrainian refugees as we can. Can I ask if you have offered to give them a place in your home?

"all Russians should die", well I for one won't speak against that

You are sick

He deliberately said all "Russian's on Ukraine territory" ( or words to that effect) Not every Russian every where, be it man, woman or child. And that's something I could agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

In the fatherland, you can now pay for the bread in 12 monthly instalments, SaNcTioNs Do NoT WoRk

Dollar now 101.40 rubles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I'm glad that you see this as each persons responsibility. Its every Russians responsibility to go out now and fight to tear down Putin, according to you, I assume you agree.

As to you stupid question, suffice to say I'm not in a position to take a refugee.

• Advertisement

No. I don't think it is everybody's responsibility to tear down putin.

What are you doing to tear down putin? Apart from saying that russia is bad online and saying we should help Ukrainians but then saying you aren't in a position to take them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement