Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Remember the Trumpist Prayer:

"Innocent until proven guilty

Though being proven guilty doesn't mean he is

I'm not a Trump supporter

Though I'll defend every crime of his"

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Similar to their claims and "solutions" regarding the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, they want us to believe he's still uber popular.

And yet not one of them will admit they're a fan and give logical reasons why they feel he is capable. (Same goes for their false gods in UK politics)

It's nothing more than 'the enemy of my enemy is friend' approach to political ideology alignment.

And they futher muddy the water every so often then with their 'Both Sides' BS or outright blaming the Left for the individuals and actions of the right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an entire thread of modern politics whose central justification is basically "it annoys the groups I don't like", and that's as deep as it gets for the performative supporters. The politics of the àsshole, where you get cohorts cheering purely because the politician antagonises others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And I'd be fine with all that, let them focus on hatredastheir motivation if that's how they're wired.

But what has happened over the last years in particular, is that they've gained power and been as inept in how they've carried that out as we expected they would be.

And we've all had to suffer the consequences of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭briany

In psychology, you'd call it a paranoid delusion. I don't know why it isn't called the same in this instance by more people. Trump may not believe his web of lies, but a hell of a lot of his supporters do. It's mass schizophrenia, essentially. You have a compelling and intricate delusion, and you have a defence mechanism that perpetuates it when questioned. In the case of Trump and the Big Lie, it must be that every facet of the electoral system that is designed to ensure integrity has been somehow corrupted, meaning a vast and overarching conspiracy. The perpetrators? THEM. The Swamp, satanic paedophiles, The Chinese, Lizard People, whoever. It's all quite predictable, really. Jon Ronson even wrote that book, "Them" about how different extremist groups, even if they're on hugely different sides of the political spectrum, do all share the belief that a small but powerful group of people are sitting in a room somewhere pulling the strings of civilisation. So it is with Trump and his Big Lie, and all the MAGA heads bleating it in unison, while having the brass neck to call other people 'sheep'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Possibly but many don't actually want to die for him and just want to kill for him. That will keep many at home.

In the end it is irrelevant except for security planning. You can't overrule democracy for fear of violence. Security will just have to be pro active and stopping terrorist threats at the planning stage. Violence will come one way or another because of what Trump has built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You do realise that Trumpists will not accept the anything negative of their lord and saviour? Examples of it abound. He could literally have a Sideshow Bob moment and admit to everything while providing proofs of his crimes and his cultists would still send money to help the billionaire Make America Great Again Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If they try an insurrection again the national guard won't be left sitting on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rawr

The MAGA zealots never will be swayed, but regular reminders of Trump’s criminality and actions may help ensure that independent voters don’t vote for him. The GOP are a hopeless cause at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Know they have little traction but Christie and Hurd, are taking him on, very late in the day. It shows some sign at least that some recognise the GOP is going nowhere with Trump as its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean you're talking about the cult of Nixon and Colonel Jessup to which that very scene got it's parodying form. So yeah.

@Water John

It shows some sign at least that some recognise the GOP is going nowhere with Trump as its head.

A number of Republican politicians have made known their opposition to Trump at various points throughout his rise to prominence in the party. You can basically sort the outcome of this into three categories: obscurity, shutting up, or getting in line. Plenty within the party know that Trump could well be its ruination, but they're more worried about their own positions than the future of the party or the country.

Chris Christie doesn't hold any office at the present time, so he has more leeway to say what he likes. We can be fairly sure that if he was counting on Republican votes in an upcoming election of some sort, he wouldn't be so bold.

All that Christie is going to really achieve is that he'll become MSNBC and CNN's go-to talking head when they want a 'reasonable Republican' commentator to speak about whatever mad thing Trump has done, said or become involved in lately. For the Republican party itself, he will become a fringe figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This man was President of the United States. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He's doing what he always did.... Test the limit of people's patience. Keep pushing the limits to find out what he can get away with.

The republican party never yanked his leash. Will the judge do so now, or wait until he goes for a witness?

He followed the above up with these two about the judge...

And this about Smith...

Interesting bit of projection from the most Corrupt (& Incompetent) President in the history of the United States.

Kind of feeling that the quote of the Judge he posted makes the point against him. That the Jan6 insurrectionists were beholden to Trump himself and not to the United States. If they can prove that he knew he could weaponise that against the Capitol, that’s maybe a game over for him. If they can prove that intent.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see Trump is at it again with the "unusual" fund raising.

He sent out his latest "Trumps' Legal Defense fund" begging email over the week-end (complete with the obligatory typos) and the link to donate goes straight to his standard campaign website donation process, which is exactly the kind of dodgy, potentially illegal fund-raising that he's already being investigated for.

If the money is for his "defense fund" it cannot be spent on campaign crap so having donations for his legal defense going to the same place as the rest of his fund-raising is a big issue and comes with the potential for criminal charges for mail fraud.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Also - Yet more evidence of his racism - Although I'm sure certain posters will still equivocate .

Trump released a video with noted Racist Laura Loomer - Who even Marjorie Taylor Green called "mentally unstable" and "a documented liar".

Donald Trump sang the praises of Laura Loomer–an anti-Muslim activist who was banned from Uber Eats for being too racist–in a new video with the right-wing influencer. In a selfie clip with Trump posted by Loomer on Sunday, the ex-president called her “terrific” and “very special” while thanking her for your support. “You are a very opinionated lady, I have to tell you,” Trump said of Loomer in the video—whose opinions include banning Muslims from rideshare apps. “And in my opinion, I like that,” he continued. Loomer is also known to have pushed false conspiracy theories after the Parkland shooting.

But sure.. He's not a racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While it does make a point against him, I think that, more importantly, it does demonstrate that the judge has a preconceived bias towards him which could bring into question the possibility of him not getting a fair trial.

If she said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The judge is simply talking on the evidence. That's not a bias.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Trump can openly appoint to the highest bench in the land based solely on political beliefs and it's fine but this is a problem? What a dysfunctional country.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

What a ****.

Even the quote in itself states a lot of fact. Many of the attackers were plastered with "Trump" apparel, and had been egged on by the man himself to be there. The defendants that came before her likely had fanciful interpretations of US law to argue their right to violently assault a democratic legislature while it was in session (spoilers: there's no such right). And indeed, it is incredible to think that the man who clearly and publically ginned up those people into attacking the Capitol, never even faced to possibily of sanction for it up until now.

Anyone possessing functioning vision and moral compass would be hard pressed to not come to a similar conclusion. However, she is a judge, and judges must make their rulings within the framework of the law, and based on the evidence. She can't find him guilty simply because she doesn't like him, the prosecuction has a burden of evidence, and if he is found guilty (in a legal sense, because we all saw him do it on live TV) then her sentencing will also have to follow a strict set of guildlines.

I also get the feeling that any judge who isn't a dyed in the wool MAGA-sycophant would still be painted as "biased" as a way to try to derail the trial as long as possible.

The judge told trump and his lawyers not to do anything that would contaminate the jury pool, or attack the integrity of the trial.

If trump or his team believe she has a bias, then the appropriate thing to do (and he would have been told this by his legal team - in fact, those quotes were probably discovered with researching the possibility of doing this) would be to ask her to recuse herself and if she refused, make the necessary court application.

What has probably happened here is he saw those quotes and despite being told not, couldn't ****ing control himself and blurted it out online, because he has rarely faced consequences all of his life and political career.

I very much hope she eviscerates him/his legal team and makes it very ****ing clear to him that he needs to STFU.

She can't "find him guilty" no matter what she might think of him.

That's the job of the Jury.

If he's found guilty it won't be because of the Judge..

Ah right, jury trial. Forgot :P

There you have it too. It's down to a jury of his peers (not that he'd ever see them that way). The judge is really just managing proceedings then, and ultimatly sentencing..and even that is usually based on requests from the prosecuction.

If you were to try any high-profile U.S. politician, the point would be made that the trial is unfair due to potential or real leanings of the judge and the jury.

I would have thought that in any legal case, the judge and the jurors are supposed to leave aside their personal feelings and examine only the facts presented in the arguments when deliberating. Does this always happen? Almost certainly not, but this remains the best system we have until the point where we can all agree that AI would be better off making a verdict (although that would invariably raise questions about the political leanings of those programming it).

• Advertisement

Upon reflection, there are two valid options for the judge

1) Haul his considerable ass into court and read him the riot act.

2) Hold off - if this is what he is doing when he sees previous quotes of hers, he is going to absolutely explode when he sees who the prosecution have for witnesses and will absolutely lash out online. That way, she can say she held her tongue when he attacked her, but attacking witnesses is a bridge too far. By not doing anything now to reign him in, it will give him the impression that he can get away with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement