Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭defiantdancer

@mrsdewinter thank you! Your comment did make me laugh and make me feel a bit better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

For those that have done the written part, what was the scenario and the 2 questions that you got for yours?

Post edited by raheny red on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,473 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not really fair to ask what the questions are beforehand when others didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 19 user1250

I am yet to do mine but done the practice example and it seemed to be “ you’re new to a department and need to make changes, how would you do this. So going off this example I have key people management Strategies such as involve team in decision making and how to deal with resistance to change etc.

I have done a practice answer based on this so fingers crossed I only have to tweaking.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Yeah, I've done similar all right. I'm just trying to get a solid idea as to what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hi for the written part the example in the familiarisation section is "You are an Executive Officer with supervisory responsibility for five Clerical Officers." etc, it doesn't mention that you are new?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 user1250

My mistake I was getting confused with scenarios from the situational test however the people management competencies are still relevant such and resistance to change and including people in decision making…ways to boost moral can be added and a feedback meeting to if you are going to mimic the example question word for word but I doubt it will be that exact question

Did Verbal and Situational last night and thought they were fine, going to do the other two this evening, numerical in particular I'm dreading, decipering those tables etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HiggieL

I just finished the written, I have no idea if I met the word count quota. Is there a way to check this? The time went so quick. Also, Does anyone which tests count towards OOM? My manager told me verbal gives the OOM but maybe I'm overlooking this in the booklet 😬

• Advertisement

I was dreading the maths but it was much easier than the practice tests 🙌🏻 I still ran out of time but answered 24

Haven't done it yet but shouldn't there be a word count at bottom of box?

As above the counter was below the box, can't check it now, 500 words would have been nearly filling the text box as it was wIth no scroll bar IIRC

Thank you, I definitely did not fill the box 😞

Thank you, I think I passed them. But I'm raging I didn't see my final word count before the written timed out. I would imagine I am out on that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Be carefull, we've all signed disclaimers that we wouldn't divulge that information.

"

"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The minimum wordcount on the info panel said 300 words. Its quite easy to make that up. I'd expect they are more interested in your free form use of language (grammar / spelling), phrasing (sentence structure / intelligibility) and the presentation (engaging / easy to follow) of your feedback. The info panel was heavily focused on them.

I didn't find it easy to answer. I thought it was a silly scenario/ question. I hope I did make the 300 word count. 🤞🏻

I've seen that happen (or rather very similar) and if it's like the situational its based on real world examples in the service

• Advertisement

I was fully convinced maths was going to be the worst one!

Anyone know if the interdepartmental promotion to EO goes through the same online testing or is it more of a fast track?

Assuming the worst on this one will just apply for that one next year (as well as the open one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ashrah23

Hey guys, I finished the assessment this evening, took my time over the week.

Verbal was annoying, numerical was grand, situational was grand, and the written was surprisingly straightforward even with the unknown element, which I had been dreading, got 480 words!

Do any of you know how long we wait now for order of merit and in turn the wait being called to interview if successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

My guess is that we will wait another month at least before the results, interviews in late October perhaps with placements starting likely after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

Finished all tonight, wasn't to fussed as i won't be accepting a position in dub. Just doing it for the experience.

Verbal and maths were grand, answered all with loads of time left.

No idea on sj, never know with this one but i was glad of the practice. I felt a lot better answering than the nationwide (which was my first EO application).

I was absolutely dreading the essay, but it was ok. Whether i answered it how they want or not i don't know. 460+ words but 2 spelling mistakes and 2 grammar ones too (not using a dash for phrases). But again, happy with the experience of doing it in case it's in a future national application.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jaye2023

Just finished all four of the assessments and suffice to say I have all but given up on any chances of the 2nd round of the selection process! But I said the same thing about another ongoing Clerical Officer competition (for the NSSO) and I'm currently waiting for an interview date on that one so fingers crossed the same good fortune gets me through to the interviews on this one. Did anyone else find that some of the questions, especially for the verbal reasoning, were terribly phrased and did more to confuse you than actually guide you towards the right answer??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 onad23

Hey guys I completed my Eo for civil service 2023 for dublin today. It closes tomorrow. How long should I expect to wait to hear where I have placed???

Hoping to hear the results by next Friday, going by previous comps

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr shmar

Same here but I think I was on 50something when clock hit zero.

Anyone know if the word count is an essential requirement?

it did say ensure you stay within the 300-500 word limits!

• Advertisement

I just finished my final 2 tests. A mental 7 days for me and my procrastination has me unsure as to what to expect, results wise.

Verbal - This is usually my weak point. I'm so bad at these, I rarely remember what I've read a couple of lines up. But I actually feel really good about this part this morning.

Numerical - I always find this section is my strongest but I reckon I did poorly here last week. While the whole process is a good experience, I'd prefer if the numerical test was a standalone for stage 1. Where you find out instantly if you've made stage 2 or not for the rest of the assignments.

Situational - Happy enough with it.

Written - My mind went completely blank for the 1st 7 or 8 minutes this morning. Very happy with punctuation, grammar, spelling (probably loads of mistakes in this post now :-) ) etc., The spiel of how I approached the issue was OKish, I probably used the same words too many times. Hit high 3xx words, a bit panicky when I only had a handful of words after 10 minutes though.

Overall, it was grand. If OOM is based on verbal & situational I think I can get a decent number, but whether I get in or not with the numerical....:-)

I'm only in the CS a wet day so never expected an EO comp so early, so I'll use it as a learning curve if anything.

The very best of luck to you all.

Advertisement