Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Yep, realistically all anybody is going to listen to is a few of their favourite sports and interviewees, and not much else. For example, I bet there are football fans who listen to John Giles and nothing else. I sometimes listen to it myself with my passing interest.

With the exception of Joe Molloy and Will O'Callaghan who seem to be the only ones with the ability to get the best out of guests and regular pundits, the rest of them vary from so-so to bang average to god damn awful. They forget their job is to facilitate and challenge occasionally, instead it often seems they want to make it their own and as you say Ger Gilroy is just the epitome of this. Some of them also talk so fast its hard to understand their question - Nathan Murphy and Ger again being the worst for this.

It will be very hard to row back from here if it goes pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Love to know if there model up to Tuesday was unsustainable or if this is just pure greed. Friend of mine worked in Bauer previously and said that Gilroy wasn't the nicest to deal with but is extremely intelligent so would have taught he'd be aware what it would fly and what wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You'd miss the paper review pod tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

I see the tag line for the OTB Saturday Football Show on YouTube is that Football has become 'a cash grab'. It's not the only thing that has...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

It and football Saturday a miss.

I'd say it was all down to Gilroy the squeaky voiced Kildare/Antrim man

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

You might be able to listen to it without a subscription. Try going to the goloud website and search off the ball and then go down to Podcast Series and then find OTB Daily with the new logo and it is currently there subscription free

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

Use the link in my previous post to the goloud website, search off the ball go to Podcasts Series and then OTB Football and Football Saturday is currently available without a subscription. That may change later on Monday, someone may have forgotten to press the right button.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Works for me. Just click the three dots on the side and click "play now". Plays away for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

They must be hoping for a surge in subscriptions with the Premier League back and the rugby world cup to start shortly.

If it doesn't materialise, I don't see where those subscribers are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They can certianly row back from this model and just admit that they got it wrong if things don't work out. It just seems like the laziest approach they could have taken 10 quid across the board for everything rather than selling pick and mix bundles if you like. 3 sports for 6 quid a month or something like that. 1 sport for 3 quid. Have it tiered so the football is more expensive perhaps.

I'd imagine their were tensions in the OTB camp about this hence the rush and haphazard announcement.

Again no issue with them selling their content but I won't be paying 10 quid a month for all of that when I will only listen to a fraction of it. I won't even be doing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Has anybody here actually subscribed? Myself and multiple friends/colleagues were regular listeners but not a single person has subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

No and won't even consider it out of principal due to the lack of notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Petermc83

Was a big listener to the Football shows for 7+ years but i find it very hard to pay 10euro to listen to them!

I like Joe Molloy and the regular contributors like Nevin / Wilson / Honigstein but ill try find them on other shows from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Asked 4 friends over the weekend.

Out of 5 of us including me, 1 was a possible “Will think about it”, everyone else definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I notice on the live YouTube of the breakfast show I’ve counted about 4 people have subscribed in the live chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

People mostly watch for football and talksport very much have that covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

One day a few months ago one of them said the biggest numbers they got were for rugby, with GAA second. I'd expect that the soccer space is too crowded, there are loads of other options. I'd say it'd be very hard to get people to subscribe for Premier League coverage when there are so many other excellent options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I wonder how much money they were making off ads and no subscriptions? Would there have been enough money in it to sustain all those involved? Really wondering if they had to try this or would staying free to the consumer have been viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Looking at that previous post to a link to a business article where Ger Gilroy explained the rationale. His argument was the funding via sponsorship was not a consistent model of funding in fluctuating markets. And the subscription model means a more secure cash flow.

I think they basically would like to have a much smaller cohort of loyal dedicated hard core listeners, who they can bleed. And such people would the subscription as payment for a job well done.

But the vast majority of listeners simply do not rate much of OTB's output even as a free service.

The impression I get is that many have slowly drifted away (including myself). Others have said that find themselves only listening in car, or for background noise. They can take it or leave it.

It is a far cry from the days where the now Second Captain lads made OTB a must listen experience for the most part. With good chemistry between the group.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have gone a week now without any OTB coverage apart from a few short clips on Twitter I've seen. And to be honest I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would. Definitely no urge to pay €10 a month anyway. I actually think most of their regular contributors are pretty poor and/or gone stale at this point. Your Pat Nevin's, Kenny Cunningham's, Alan Quinlan's and the Keith Wood's of this world. I'll miss the likes of Daniel McDonnell, Jonathan Wilson, Tim Vickery, etc, when he's occasionally on but you can usually find most of them elsewhere. And even though Joe Molloy is a consummate professional you have a pile of other lads there like Shane Hannon, Colm Boohig and Mick McCarthy that you could find sitting on a bar stool in every pub in the country pontificating about sport over a few creamy pints. At least in the pub you wouldn't have to pay them to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Everything related to women's sport still free as podcasts for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

If that 1 person out of the group is converted to a subscriber then its a relative success for them,they're aiming to convert about 25%.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Was out with a group with a few hardcore listeners at the weekend. The way Ger Gilroy talked about it being "only a tenner a month" p****d everybody who heard it off. His attitude was so "we don't give a s**t what you think, either subscribe or tough" when describing it that I think we all said well I won't be giving that pr*ck a tenner. His talk about 60 podcasts, etc also got a response "yeah but I only listen to about 5 of them".

I think if he hadn't been so bullish and arrogant and the pricing had been better he might have had a chance.

The few lads who are big football fans have already moved on. Apparently there are apps where you can record the show if you wanted to but meh, I couldn't be bothered personally.

If Joe Molloy (the only A++ presenter on the show) and Will O'Callaghan (the only guy with a serious knowledge of a range of sports) leave the building everything to do with Off The Ball is absolutely screwed. If they set up their own podcast for a fiver a month I'd sign up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He since said - having considered it - he won’t be paying for it.

so 0 out of 5 regular listeners

Advertisement