Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's absolutely absurd to think this win prepares him for Wilder, he looked unsure tonight, not willing to commit...and this was against Helenius, I mean no disrespect but he's in no way a top level boxer and he took this fight on 7 days notice, AJ has been gun shy since Ruiz, I just don't see how he copes against Wilder...I know there isn't much boxing ability to Wilder but AJ will be terrified of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whyte worse than Helenius. AJ finds Whyte’s chin far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Learned nothing new about AJ tonight only about his sore back. Fury, beats him to the jab everytime, boxes scared against Wilder, and I think Ruiz would KO him again

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's like AJ has brain damage, the stuff he speaks, how he speaks about himself in his own name, when someone talks about themselves as a ‘third person’ they are putting distance between them and their actions or even some kind of traumatic experience ,.basically, separating themselves from something, it is a coping mechanism , Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The Wilder v AJ build up trash talk is gonna be cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

Who did McGregor call out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Haha, oddly enough I was only thinking recently with the whole gimmick boxing that I hadn't seen KSI poke McGregor.

Jake Paul doesn't seem to be happening and Tommy Fury negotiations seem to be dragging. Was wondering when he'd shoot his shot with McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Oh really?

Fair play to Fury, gets to beat up amateurs for multiples of what he'd get fighting pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Aye why bother fighting domestic UK fighters for small money who would murder him when you can beat these mugs up for fortunes?

I think he rematches Jake next year.

Also got Logan Paul v Danis as co main event, can life get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just watched the highlights and that was an endurance test. What a terrible fight. No pace, no energy. This is a guy whose career is hanging in the balance. That looked like a British level fight and Joshua took plenty of leather. A trained up Helenius would have given him plenty of bother too. Good ko punch but Helenius was bucked at that point. The gestures to the crowd weren’t a great idea and that silliness about his back sounded stupid. Right now it looks like Wilder would take him out in a couple of rounds. In a way that fight gives him a huge opportunity for him.

Andy Lee is good to listen to he’s very insightful. Bellew is a total idiot, insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Bellew is normally a decent commentator, but he let his friendship with Joshua get in the way of being impartial , it was really awful stuff. I think Andy Lee was stunned into silence at time because of it. As for the fight , Joshua is done as a top level boxer based on that performance.

I think fast Eddie knows it and is just looking to cash out in Saudi Arabia.

If Wilder is next, AJs team surely have to know, and have to tell him clearly that it’s likely a 1-3 rds tops fight, and that he (AJ) needs to commit hugely when throwing his shots.

AJ if he connects hard/clean can KO Wilder, and vice versa.

AJ cannot go in treating it like a friendly spar (which is how he has looked his past 4 fights now).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Does Aj listen to his team or are they yes men though that will just prepare him for the fight and take their %

it takes time to build a relationship between trainer and boxer to the extent they take their advice and going by what Eddie is saying he seems to be the one pulling the strings saying he didn’t press enough and get his man on the back foot and that’s what he needs to do against wilder

im not sure why a promoter is even talking about fighting styles tbh but Eddie loves a chat to anyone that will listen

I think they are trying to cash in on Aj now with a last hurrah in Saudi

The internet isn’t for everyone

God I dont ever remember watching a fight and enjoying what Tony Bellew has to say. I think hes a limited moron who was very lucky to become a world champion. I dont think hes in any way interesting. Lasting as long as he did with Usyk is an achievement, I will concede.

Joshua has had horrible preparation for Wilder. Last number of fights including both Usyk were fought at a pedestrian pace and hes had no sign of aggression. He’s in huge trouble with Wilder.

Teddy Atlas has a real up close clip on his Instagram stories that shows the AJ shot. It looks really heavy/fast in its delivery. He can still do it, but needs to do it much more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

How bad is Dazn.

That whole production last night was cringe from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭blade1

People go on about the reality stars and YouTubers but this crap is just as bad.

UFC production is in a different solar system to any boxing coverage.

• Advertisement

Aw he’s got plenty of power it’s just that his body language is so negative and ponderous. He doesn’t throw nearly enough I actually reckon Wilder will have a better and stingier jab. Joshua has an advantage with combos but wont throw them either. He could beat Wilder but unless he goes back to what his advantages are then he will suffer.

Just think how elusive fury was in the ring in the second fight and wilder landed a heavy blow and furys head went up like a balloon, so if helanius can make a mess of ajs face what will wilder do

Wilder is very likely winning by one shot, or a few shots. Other than the massive right hand, he doesn’t put shots together well at all, and is quite lazy as regards putting punches together. Expect him to be looking for just one shot, with all the rest likely not landing that cleanly. He’s wild and sloppy and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Robert Nairac

They are putting this influencer nonsense on every show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I just think AJ is afraid to let go and especially with Wilder.

But with Aj afraid to fire he’s open to reappeared attacks by wilders wild hands, that’s if he’s able to sustain the attacks

That’s true but hes more sloppy when hes going in for the kill like with Washington or Steverne they were all but finished when he began windmilling. He throws a decent jab and in the fights with Fury he learned a bit too. If Joshua throws in ones then he wont be able to keep Wilder off him. He has the capability to have more volume and movement, much more on the clinch and inside but that’s only if he backs himself and goes for it. With Helenius he was happy to just stand there. Different I will accept because Helenius is more a counter puncher than someone who goes after it

Just on the AJ shot.....Helenius lucky he rode it a bit...had he moved into it or taken it 100 percent flush he might still be on his back

I still maintain that probably one heavy clean shot from AJ knocks Wilder out, and vice versa. It’s a 50/50 shootout. AJ much neater hittter. Could he get in first?! We’re talking a split second decision/action

Defo be rooting for AJ win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He has not been the same psychologically since the Ruiz defeat. Unless he overcomes his hangup, his hesistancy will probably lead to him being knocked out. If the Helenius ko spurs him on to be more aggressive then I think he can stop Wilder.

Advertisement