Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

The thing about an individual taking legal action in the circumstances of a contract termination (if relevant) is they are faced with months if not years of uncertainty as it staggers through the byzantine WRC/courts etc system, and that takes a hell of a toll on the individual. It doesn't matter if they have a good legal firm and so on, it's still the last thing they think about before going to sleep, and the first thing they think about when they wake up.

Given that the situation with RT is not of Kevin Bakhurst's making, I think KB should not put Ryan back on the air and simply let whatever residual time is left in the contract run down - and pay whatever is "due". In my experience, if you don't deal with this sort of issue as soon as it rears its ugly head, you can factor in a doubling of the cost of resolution for every year you prevaricate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I will add to that and add childrens TV. RTE used to have the Den, which 'hosted' the imported cartoons. Now, the little Ive seen, is just back to back imported stuff. 3.30 tomorrow on RTE 2 is Lions vs Hyenas. Described as:

"Documentary charting the fortunes of a male lion cub and a female hyena pup, each born at the same time on the African plains, as they develop into maturity". Sounds more like something your grand dad would watch, not draw young people into watch.

3.30 was when the Den started traditionally. My mum loved the Den, especially Dustin. Most of the jokes went over my head, but there are clips on YoutTube that are hilarious. If Ray Darcy wants to earn his 250k a year. I would say he'd be as well off working for 3 hours a day on the telly instead of 1 hour a day on the radio. Or better still, get someone vibrant, not boring the arse off people with stories of sour dough bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Wasn't the decision to destroy kid's TV programming on RTE another of Forbes' wonderful decisions? The Tubridy payments scandal happened under her watch.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The Future of Media Commission may well have recommended direct funding from the Exchequer (I don't know for sure, it's 284 pages long) but I'm pretty sure that the FoMC did say that there would be a danger of 'Perceived or actual bias towards the Govt of the day*' if this were the case - and indeed, the brilliant Catherine Martin (who's desk had to be moved to the ground floor cos of the weight of reports on it) discounted DEF for this very reason

'*' like there isn't enough RTE bias towards the Govt as it stands

So, yeah - it looks like Bakhurst is a company man alright - He's had the perfect opportunity gifted to a new DG that was intent on cleaning the place up in the Ryan Tubridy scandal, but has chosen to ignore the chance to implement wholesale changes to fees/contractors and is actively trying to get the gravy train back up to full speed (with the minimum of tweaks) instead of regaining the trust of the Irish people - Shame really

I said it before, The DG position should be performance based - Decent base salary and hefty bonuses paid depending on performance/results/savings

Ultimately, Govts (past and present) are to blame imo. They well knew that large parts of West Africa were looking at RTE and thinking - "Fook me, those guys are good - makes us look like amateurs down here"

The RTE 'players' and the Govt 'players' are in the club

Tubridy stopped presenting the LLS (a decision made, apparently, in March as this shitshow kicked off) and the contract with RTE was broken. There is no contract. There were, according to reports, some negotiations for a new contract but these have been paused. The noise about legal action seems to be just another PR talking point.

Bakhurst may be about to learn that Boycott is not just the name of a famous English cricketer.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I’d say tubridy was cute enough to have a separate contract for radio and a get out clause for both…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont know. Sounds plausible though. She sounds about as in touch with what kids want as, well, most other RTE celebs.

Don't think so. The contract may have been among the papers submitted to the PAC or the Media Committee. It also mentioned the TV show and the radio show. Since Tubridy broke the contract by no longer presenting the LLS and there were reports of a new contract to cover his radio show being under negotiation, RTE does not have a contract with Tubridy. As for the invoices, RTE should not have paid him anything. He's a contractor without a contract.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well before the recent scandal, the Oireachtas Media committee complained that they never got info requested. They only got poor mouthing from RTE Execs looking for money. None of the FF/FG ministers did anything.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

They used to have a kids radio station which was great but seemed to have been canned for csot cutting, looks like around the time these payments got setup.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just one addendum to your final line - he’s a contractor without a contract getting paid handsomely to do nothing.

In fact, he likely got paid more since this became public for doing nothing, than most people earn in a year.

RTE should start removing all traces of his presence (intellectual property) and change the programme name. RTE needs to assert its position and rights. Otherwise, Bakhurst might as well stay on his holidays.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Independence of an organisation directly funded by the taxpayer can be enshrined in law, i.e. the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. If it works for the DPP then it would work for RTÉ, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

The contracts are here https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/33/committee_of_public_accounts/other/2023/2023-07-11_briefing-document-hayes-solicitors-on-behalf-of-ryan-tubridy-and-noel-kelly-r2029-pac33_en.pdf

2015 contract starts on page 1, and the 2020 contract starts on page 18.

It does seem that the higher salary was for the "exclusive services of Ryan Tubridy" which imo makes it very interesting regarding how so many papers from 2010 - 2018 reported on how the bbc wanted him, without any journalist putting their name to the article.

This is subject to the Presenter undertaking not to provide his Services to any third party and in _partic-ular BBC Radio during these non service days. Ar~angernents in relation to aay pre-recorded programmes are to be agreed in good faith between tile Parties at that iime.

Copying and pasting from the PDF is not really working correctly in firefox, whether or not it is the OCR or the way it was converted to PDF I do not know. So this may be better looked at from the original link as it holds some of the relevant information [I will try to bold].

8. Fees

8. I Subject to the procurement by the Company of the Presenter's due compliance

with all of the obligations which the Company agrees to procure that the

Presenter sha11 comply \\•ith hereunder and as full and final consideration for

the provision by the Company to RTE of the Services and for all tights

assigned and consents and waivers i;,,ranted and given by the Company and/or

the Presenter to RTE hereunder, including ·without limitation in and to the

products of the Presenter's Services, RTE agrees to pay to the Company

€440,000 gross per Contract Year without any deduction (save withholding

tax) plus VAT to be invoiced on a monthly basis.

Each invoice submitted by the Company shall list all Programme episodes

relevant to such invoice.

8.2 The fees shall be paid in instalments in equal calendar monthly instalments in

an-ears within thirty (30) days of receipt by the RTE People Payments, RTE

Group Finance (or such other department of RTE as may be notified by RTE

to the Company in Wliting in advance from time to time) of a valid undisputed

invoice.

8.3 The Company shall be entitled to appropriate travel and subsistence expenses

as authorised by RTE in respect of attendance by the Presenter on location

work away from t11e premises of RTE currently at Donnybroo~ Dublin 4.

Such expenses must be authorised in advance by RTE. Such exuenses shall be

invoiced at the standard RTE Travel and Subsistence rates as~ updated from

time to time by RTE.

8.4 For the avoidance of doubt, the Company shall not be paid any fees in respect

of any period in which the Presenter has not provided the Service-s for

whatever reason, including sickness, incapacity, holidays or other

commitments.

There is so much to look at in those pages that it is not surprising that the pac did not get to ask all of the relevant questions after only seeing them for 15 minutes. I wonder if Tubs thought that 8.3 allowed him to use that clause for the pregnant woman in the taxi from Dundalk for almost €1000, and if so, who in rte authorised it first?

All of the publications are here to read https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/publications/?q=&date=&term=%2Fie%2Foireachtas%2Fhouse%2Fdail%2F33&fromDate=05%2F08%2F2023&toDate=05%2F08%2F2023&committee%5B%5D=%2Fen%2Fcommittees%2F33%2Fcommittee-of-public-accounts%2F&topic%5B%5D=correspondence&topic%5B%5D=minutesAgendas&topic%5B%5D=opening-statements-submissions&topic%5B%5D=briefing-papers&topic%5B%5D=correspondence&topic%5B%5D=minutesAgendas&topic%5B%5D=opening-statements-submissions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Not excusing her cancelling kids programming, but children have more options now compared to RTE's heyday children's programming. So it may very well have been seen as an unnecessary expense.

Dedicated channels for children's programming have become the norm. As have streaming services on demand. So RTE could not compete with that (no matter how Coveney thought adding a 'tax' would help them out. Shows the greed that is endemic in that organization). And RTE were repeating shows that had ended 20 years ago, so their programming was 'stale', to say the least. (RTE 2 has become very similar to TG4, with less and less reasons to justify it's continued existence).

On the other hand, that had an enormous impact on home produced programming. Which in turn had an impact on funding being provided. Other countries such as Spain, and France, have seen the government's there increase their funding for productions-as they've seen a significant increase in business from the likes of Netflix. (Notable areas include animation production, who have often been hired to work on American productions of children's TV shows).

I've known studios here in Ireland that have closed down due to lack of business, or just not being able to put out a better product due to money, staff and time. Things will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

We were told at some point during the hearings that the reason the big presenters are paid so much is because they can attract sponsors and advertisers during the break want to be associated with the show because of the presenter. If Tubridy does come back, I think any sponsor going forward for the next few years would expect a hefty discount because of the controversy and I would expect a lot of advertisers would too. Wouldn't surprise me if Renault sales are down because of all this.

They should make a clean break, thats the reason for the self employment contracts they handed out and we're told that the presenters are paid a premium because of the precariousness of the contracts. Let someone else snap up Tubs after all we're told thats another reason we've been paying him a premium

Very interesting, particularly re. exclusivity and the shall we say “vague” and unnamed sourced articles about his services being so much in demand.

We’re still however no wiser as to who the “taxi” was for. We were told prior to the PAC that it was for Niamh, then in the PAC it was for Tubs by Tubs himself, now it’s Niamh again,

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yea, and Ryan would love to be working.

It’s madness, the people want Ryan, he wants to be there for them and management keep him out while still paying him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

What 'people' want him back, tho? Polls in many newspapers show that the majority don't wish him back. And the people hardly care who presents the radio, as for most its background noise while they carry out tasks.

I personally don't listen to the radio-I put on spotify or deezer. And I doubt I'm alone in that.

(Sorry for the late response, took me a while to get a non-paywall version of this article)

Renault gained very little from their sponsorship of the LLS. With all the money that was poured into the show, they didn't see much return for their buck (however much they paid). They've been on a slide, in Ireland, for the last two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its confusing when Bakhurst says he's not worried about the drop off in licence fee revenue, that the organisation is fully funded for the next two years.

Where did this extra money come from, was it from the sale of land? If Tubridy is let go, there's some hope of licence fee revenue recovering, but if he's brought back in the next few weeks, there's no hope of it recovering anytime soon.

And this extra money was surely intended to fund reforms or else public sector broadcasting, not to plug the gap left by the Tubridy fiasco.

Either way RTE will be down tens of millions because of this, and Bakhurst doesn't seem too bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

From the Words Bakhurst is using, it seems he is determined and desperate to get Mr Talented/ Tubridy back....

This is from Sunday

"Ryan is a hugely talented broadcaster, and as with anyone with such talent, there’s always a range of possibilities. ‘At this point, discussions are focused around the 9am slot.’

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

You'd wonder did Kevin and Leo have an auld chin wag and Leo told him the government would address any short fall in license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Pointed this earlier on the thread but Renault own Dacia which is on the increase in Ireland. But you are right, not sure what Renault got out of the deals but they must have got something.

To be fair to Renault they have got a lot better recently with their Qashqai version etc so not as bad as before. plus if you can flog a megane at 40k because its electric you have to be doing something right.

Maybe the advertisement deal wasn't to do with sales or more to do with execs getting freebies

It’s madness alright that some people still want him back after everything that’s happened. Most don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What do Bakhurst and Forbes see in Tubridy that no-one else sees? The guy has almost ruined the organisation and yet they think the measly extra few thousand he might bring in in ad revenue (which is unproven) could save RTE. And Bakhurst said he would talk to people in RTE, he clearly hasn't as they are mostly angry at Tubridy.

Bakhurst is quickly heading down the same route as Forbes, out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tbf, this is far more than tubridys fault, theres clearly a deeply imbedded culture within rte, thats been going on long before he turned up, this is ultimately what we need to face and resolve, we cant keep just keeping on here, this is a serious misuse of public resources and public money!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

tbf, this is far more than tubridys fault

Good point.

I suppose it could be said that his greed was the catalyst that brought a lot to light in relation to the culture there.

Unfortunately Bakhurst is not the man for the job that is required so it looks like it will all go down the exact same road as before. It's as though the committee hearings and the various revelations never happened at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah bit of a loaded comment, tbh, id say many of us would do almost the same thing, if in that situation, if our employer was willing and able to pay us as such, i suspect most of us would do it, i probably would myself, but its how the whole situation has unfolded, he wasnt the only one lying about his pay, or holding back the information, there really is something for more deeper to be resolved here, we cant allow this to continue. we all know more and more are starting to struggle in society, we really need our public services, including our media services to be functioning as efficiently as possible, this whole situation is a big fcuk you to all of that, we cant allow this to continue....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not even necessary, Bakhurst knows this will happen regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It bears repeating - Tubridy is NOT a popular figure in Ireland - it is not surprising that a car brand that sponsored his show suffered by association with his weird “d4 Willy wonka” persona.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement