Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I didn't get to see very much of the committee hearings but I saw a clip of that bit where he was specifically asked if the taxi was for him, and he said yes.

What struck me at the time was how nonchalant he was about it as though the guts of 1k for a taxi journey was commonplace. And as you said, we are still none the wiser as to who it actually was for. Curiouser and curiouser.

It's looking increasingly like it's a case of when he is back as opposed to if he is going to be back. I can imagine him making a sob story on air, out of the whole thing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but the government would ultimately be determining how much taxpayers' money RTE gets, and there would always be the suspicion the DG would be sauntering in to the Minister for Communication's office and murmuring darkly "Nice little public reputation your government's got there, wouldn't want to see it get damaged by any negative media coverage."

This guy has a suggestion for getting round this 'perception'

RTE should be funded from central exchequer funds, at a sum fixed as a proportion of the tax revenue generated each year.

We would do it this way, because timing funding to a formula to exchequer funds, as opposed to allowing a minster to decide the funding on a year to year basis will reduce the risk of political interference. It ought to come with a review of the appropriate percentage at a set time period- say once a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...thought he done well at a public event the weekend before all this happened, he was well received, thought he done a very good job myself, its very hard to speak for the majority, yes many dont like him, more so now id imagine, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course he is a popular figure. Hundreds of thousands watched his TV show and listened to his lovely radio programme.

He has raised huge sums for charity, delighted thousands of children with the wonderful Toy Show and helped St Vincent De Paul. That probably wouldn't be enough for some people, but it has made him very popular. with many others The fact he is well paid won't change that.

I said it before, he would have been well positioned to run for the Presidency and would have been excellent in the role. With all this negativity, that probably won't happen now. But to say he is not a popular figure is very wrong, it's just horrible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

To the outsider, this looks like an open goal for Bakhurst. Decide not to renew Tubs contract, blitz the media with strong talk of "reform going forward" and RTE have "listened to the people of Ireland who've shown us they need to see real action" blah blah blah..............steady the ship and watch the licence fee payments start creeping back up.

But of course, to the insider this is all self explanatory. You don't hang Ireland's highest paid broadcaster, national treasure and all round good egg, out to dry. In a tiny place like Dublin's media bubble you don't finish the career of a guy who you've had many an enjoyable long lunch with. You don't REALLY want to turn RTE into some Swiss bank where people need to fill out forms to go have a shíte. What you WANT, is to get back to the snug, cosy, affluent reality of overpayment for under performance. You want to get back to squandering money like water and taking a blank cheque from the government of the day when your books don't balance. No one at RTE wants to work in a Ryanair clone, where famously pens and pencils are ordered singularly and not in boxes!

It would take a very strong and principled individual to start the reforms that are needed at RTE. It won't be this DG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

You certainly lived up to your user name by giving me a good laugh and cheering me up this Monday lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Bakhurst has talked the talk, but his only action so far is to try bring back the guy who is the face of the scandal. A complete and utter failure of leadership.

It would be like the government reappointing Seanie Fitzpatrick to a senior banking role after the crash to try and solve the banking crisis.

Bakhurst is not interested in genuine reform. He's the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Spot on.

What is needed is someone brought in as a complete outsider who has no ties to the place and no qualms about doing what needs to be done.

I had my doubts about Bakhurst early on and unfortunately the doubts are being realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

RTE reportedly cancels Suzanne Jackson's TV show The Style Counsellors.

The beloved show hosted by the former CEO of SoSu Cosmetics will not be renewed for its fifth season.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I don’t think it’s funny, he clearly is very popular, huge ratings on both TV and radio. RTE would be crazy to lose him.

• Advertisement

Its possible to be popular and capable of very serious wrong-doing. They are not mutually exclusive. Whether someone is popular or not is beside the point, particularly when they play a part in the downfall of their own organisation. Tubridy has helped put the survival of RTE at risk, and the survival of hundreds of jobs, not to mention people taking pay cuts, while he was taking secret payments, a real metaphorical stab in the back to his colleagues.

He's not popular within RTE, but I guess that doesn't count. Bakhurst doesn't appear to think so anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

It would seem that Bakhurst is aware of the problems but blind to the solutions.

He's making Dee Forbes look competent and a hard bargainer at this stage. I'm guessing he lacks decisiveness which is key to a successful leader.

Yeah, a bit of decisiveness is needed and has been for some time.

Bring back Ryan asap, also have him do an interview about what he has been through over the last few months since people turned on him. Then start to move on and urge those who have wavered on paying the TV licence fee to move on and put this unpleasantness in its box finally.

I doubt even his most bitter and envious detractors would say that Ryan has been responsible for serious wrongdoing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sunny disposition - Not sure if you are on a wind up routine or what?

You need a sharp dose of reality if you genuinely think Tubridy was/is a popular figure.

Get out and about and ask the general public what they think of him

He was foisted on the public due to shady connections/nepotism.

His “young fogey” false persona only appealed to the gullible/naive/mentally ill. (approx 10-15 percent of the adult population).

80 percent plus range from indifference to outright disgust at Tubridy and the wider NK agency antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm not going to say much more but I ask those of you who see what is plain to see for all but the most biased to keep shining a light on this mess and the parties involved.

Thanks.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Hundreds of thousands of people tune into him whenever he's on TV or radio, he clearly is very popular. That doesn't mean that everyone likes him of course, some people just don't gel with him but that's fine, but he is still clearly one of the most popular people in Irish broadcasting. The Director General really has no option but to take him back, he thinks he's being smart by delaying it, but he has just made the controversy worse. He won't look very smart if Ryan goes off to the UK. And at this stage I honesly wouldn't blame Ryan if he just accepted a BBC offer and abandoned RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Accident was in April 2009 and then he had operations in 2010. I love not to get paid in RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

They love her in the Arts sector, but when you minister for craic 's ceol !

______

Yesterday

All RTÉ Washington correspondents go AWOL, even when their favourite president is up in court they can't be bothered to report.

______

Yesterday

Slightly different because TG4 have always been under scrutiny about its establishment, and it provides a public service, largely can't get away without making programming.

I'd be bother if TG4 wasn't providing the kind of service it does, and there are certain aspects of TG4 that we should be critical off.

TG4 made a decision to work on a project called Cine4, resulting in an Oscar nomination and critical acclaim, meanwhile RTÉ invested in The Toy Show the Musical. Commercially English language film would be a better bet for RTÉ but they don't even do this.

______

Yesterday

The platfom does not matter, RTÉ are a public service broadcast they should produced content for Children they should not have cut that content, they would have investigate how children consume media, and much of it is on YouTube from my experience.

If RTÉ2 were producing programming you might consider them similar to TG4, but they don't they have nothing on, RTÉ2 is more like VMTV FIVE.

RTÉ massively cut back in indo productions, to the extent that TG4 could actually be commissioning more programming from indo producers than RTÉ in 2022! (though I don't think that will happen, I think they will be about 5m off RTÉ).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id have to see the listener figures for pre scandal and post scandal for Tubridy’s slot. RTE should be releasing these as their reasoning for bringing him back.

Clearly illustrating the massive drop-off in listnership since he's been off air and that would close the book.

But I'd be very sceptical that there has been a noticeable drop off. Most people listen due to the time slot and the topics etc than the host I'd wager.

Rubbish. Tubridy/Kelly/Forbes and one or two others concocted the payments.

Tubridy claiming to know nothing about it doesn't wash. Its about as credible as Kelly claiming he never spoke to Dee Forbes one to one, when the evidence says otherwise, or that he didn't really know Forbes.

He's a poor to average broadcaster at best. I've tried to listen to his radio show and I can only ever get 1-2 minutes in before I have to switch over.

A good broadcaster should grip you and hold you there, even through the ad breaks. Can anyone seriously say Tubridy does that?

The mistake Forbes and Bakhurst made is to believe Tubridy was a great broadcaster. This mistake is the reason RTE are currently in an existential crisis.

How can the DGs not see what everyone else has known for years? Do they even bother listening to RTE radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am sorry to hear about your dog. It can be very difficult for a family to lose a pet or see a pet in distress.

Obviously you should take a break but please don't leave thread. You have a lot more good work to do. I know some posters that would love to see you gone -don't give it to them until the scandal is "resolved".

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your two best friends, I guess a lot of people wouldn't understand the pain involved unless they experienced it themselves firsthand.

Maybe the username could still be used as a tribute to their memory?

Mind yourself either way.

Post edited by Gadgetman496 on

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This fool is all mouth and no action. The public are getting tired of him very quickly.

He seems to spend more time speaking to the media than doing his job. I have completely lost faith in this C-Suite spoofer.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement