Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I changed it to easy, it doesn't actually make it much easier but it helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I am playing TOTK. It's like gaming methadone. You could actually use it to wean yourself off lesser kinds of videogames.

Also thinking MS screwed up big time with tech differences between series S and X. Right now, Sony will have first dibs to Baldur's Gate 3, because the devs are busting their asses trying to make it work on Series S. ...

MS should have produced a Series X diskless, less storage version if they wanted something cheaper for the market but with the same technical capability otherwise.

Also thinking, why does that new Disney platform game look like a cheap mobile phone game ? Why does that look so cheap, in 2023, by Disney, whereas a similar styled game, Rayman Legends, doesn't, from years ago ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Completed Demon’s Souls (remake) and Elden Ring earlier this year. It’s now time to try my third Fromsoftware game with Sekiro. I thought I might have got a bit better at these games but opening few hours has made me feel completely useless and I can’t get enough of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sekiro is a very different game. Yo are gong to be bumbling through the game and not playing it properly for the first while ubtin the first "proper" boss at the top of the pagoda. You'll be stuck there for a few days but once you beat him you'll understand how the parry system really works and it's like being able to see the matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Give Remnant II a go for a fresh-er approach of souls-like. And Returnal if you'd really like some punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the great things about Sekiro compared to other FromSoftware games is that there are no builds; no different weapons, types, armours etc that one boss is weak to but another is strong against etc. You do get some abilities which can help, but really Sekiro all comes down to your skill. Reading and deflecting attacks back and forth until you open them up for that killing blow. That's it. And the only way to get better at it is to keep doing it.

As Retro says, even if you only get okay at it, there's one early game boss at the top of Ashina Castle, and you can't go further in the game until you beat him. But once you've persevered and beaten him, it'll have forced you to really learn the dance of steel required to progress in the game and you'll have the core combat of the game ingrained in your muscle memory.

Yeah I will have to come up with a new way to progress. My tactic in the other 2 games was get strong, get a big weapon and use dodge every now and then. I tended to keep away from parry/deflections so still need to get used to that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is all about the parry/deflect. It's near impossible to reduce a lot of enemies health if you don't stagger them first. There's a pretty big parry window, best to try and get your head around it. That said, it wasn't until that Castle Ashina boss until the game clicked with me.

It's best to be as aggressive as possible. It's all about wearing down their defence meter (not their health bar), as once that bar is down you can hit a deathblow regardless of how much health they have. So be aggressive, and deflect/parry if they try to counter. You'll start shredding through enemies in no time.

I wanted to like Sekiro but it is just to hard for me, I probably would have persevered but having to spend ages stealth killing guards just so I could attempt a boss again really killed it for me, I just don't have the patience for that kind of thing anymore.

• Advertisement

Remant looks very good from the clips I’m watching. Have Returnal already but not tried it yet. After Sekiro it’s Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodbourne and then Armored Core 6. So I will get to Returnal probably around 2030

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Remnant 2 is fantastic, playing through it atm and it's just like the first one only better. Hopefully by 2030 we'll have gotten a sequel to Bloodborne or at least a remaster on PS or PC - possibly my favourite FromSoft game that.

I was disappointed to read Bloodborne is 30 fps. Hoping that gets patched up. Maybe I’d get used to it

For most bosses there's usually a shrine or whatever you call them just before the boss, so might only have to take out one or two guards on the way there. But yeah I can think of a few bosses even fairly early on where there are a bunch of enemies with the boss, so stealthily taking them out before the boss has to be repeated each time. Definitely can get annoying.

Yep 30fps even when played on the PS5, but it doesn’t detract from the gameplay imo, or else I just got used to it. Maybe after they get the Elden Ring dlc out the door they can go back to Bloodborne. Or maybe a Sekiro dlc could be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished FF7 and the DLC. Really good game. Did some googling afterwards and apparently it's a "different timeline" so things are different than the original, so it's more of a reboot as well as a remake.

Anyway, looking forward to part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

Played through it recently again. It was jarring for about 30 minutes/an hour but adjusted after that.

Its still my favourite From game and I would absolutely recommend anyone who is put off by 30fps to go through it anyway, it’s well worth it.

Bloodborne is owned by Sony so it won't happen without their say so. Still I imagine someone like Bluepoint will eventually remaster it or give it a visual remake like Demon's Souls. IMO BB is the best of their games and its a crime that it is trapped on the PS4 at 30 FPS with awful frame pacing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is no doubt that Bloodborne would be an even better experience at 60 FPS or hell even a more stable / properly frame paced 30. But it is a case study in how an exceptional game will manage to soar despite obvious technical shortcomings. My memories of Bloodborne aren’t dodgy performance, but rather the sheer immensity and wonder of the world and systems created by From.

It never detracted from the experience for me either, particularly as it was on a console where almost everything ran at 30 fps, but it is pretty much the only thing you could do to make such an amazing game even better. If a hacker can get it running at 60 FPS surely one of Sony's teams can make it official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Can you play remnant 2 alone with AI companions ?

Forgot Sony own it alright. I think they'll definitely come back to it at some point, whether it's a remaster/remake or a flat out sequel I'd imagine it would be a win win for them financially and critically (once it's handled correctly). Hopefully they don't hold it back for a PS5 successor.

Demon's Souls remake was handled really well I thought.

I'm a relatively recent PS5 owner and once I'd checked out Astro, the first proper game I played on it was Bloodborne - I'd forgotten how good it was. Even the simple act of staggering with the pistol and carrying out a visceral attack - such an addictive mechanic. 🙂

That mechanic is also in Jedi Survivor and once I unlocked it it was all I ever used.

Things that infuriate me #417

People that say From Software games are garbage but played and liked Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor. It's poorer version of a From game 🤬

My main issue with Bloodborne was just that I picked the Hunters Axe at the start, realised the extended axe charge swing does huge damage, stagger and knockback, and then that's pretty much the only move I used for the entire game and DLC. Now it's partly also the fault of how few upgrade materials there are in the game without farming which means after a while there was no point even trying to use any other weapon because I'd never get it upgraded enough, but yeah, the combat ended up boring me a bit, but I couldn't not use that move.

I'd definitely give it another go if there was a remake or something, and I'd make sure not to choose the Hunters Axe, but it ranks low on my FromSoftware list because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,013 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Prepatch Whirligig was a beast. Kirkhammer big slam was great for stagger damage. Was always funny to beat people with the Wheel as well 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭McFly85

I found upgrade materials weren’t too difficult to come across. Wouldn’t take that long to get multiple weapons up to +9.

As far as I remember the item to max a weapon was only available to collect once per playthrough but you could buy additional ones for something like 50 insight(you could buy pretty much every upgrade material at a certain point).

I think about halfway through the game I started upgrading and trying a few other weapons but they never felt as good as the axe. Then when I took a break from the game between finishing the main game and starting the DLC, I swore I'd change to another weapon. Then after about 10 minutes of the DLC, I switched back to the axe.

It was boring, but still just so satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭eggy81

If you got to grips with Jedi without too much hassle should you be able to manage from games.

• Advertisement

Bloodborne really isn't about finding better weapons but more about finding a weapon you like. None of them really have better stats than the other but each weapon has a vastly different playstyle. What happens is most people pick a starting weapon, get used to it and don't change it but there's lots of fun to be had with other weapons. For the DLC I switched to the Whirlygig which was absolutely insane when paired with the status item that increased damage with consecutive hits.

Advertisement