Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So you're advocating the continuation of tax funded charities purchasinh housing stock adhocly on the open market from Global investment funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Anyone who thinks the housing charities are going to get off the government tit obviously has not been paying attention over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They are the government for all intensive purposes…the only reason they are structured like this is so that any debt they have is not consolidated into government debt.

Post edited by Timing belt on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

The point I'm making is, that for whatever reason, a bigger and better capitalised fund did not snap it up, despite the 6% yield.

You can be sure they had the chance, it's not as if IRES were offering Tuath a good deal on the QT, they were seeking the highest bidder.

So the highly leveraged investors are forced sellers of assets, but those investors with cash to spend are being outbid on those assets by housing agencies/government.

Sure it is a 6% yield, but Tuath aren't in the business of chasing yield, quite the opposite. They're in the business of providing cost rentals and assisting those struggling with affordability.

So I am struggling to see the business case from Tuath's point of view in chasing a 6% yield by outbidding private investors on a fully tenanted block.

Surely if they have 72m to deploy in achieve their aims and objectives it could be better spent on foregoing yield to provide cheaper accommodation for those who most need it?

• Advertisement

Also surely must be a massive chunk of that block who dont meet Tuaths criteria for rentals, yet they are now tuaths tenants for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Multiple polls with different results wheather ECB will increase rates in September.

The latest poll by Bloomberg shows Economists believe there will be an increase.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-14/ecb-still-seen-delivering-one-last-hike-in-september-poll-shows#xj4y7vzkg

"Unmoved by recent signs that inflation pressure is abating, economists continue to predict that the European Central Bank will deliver one final increase in interest rates next month.

The deposit rate will be lifted to 4% in September from 3.75% now, a Bloomberg poll showed. At the same time, respondents reckon officials will start cutting borrowing costs in March"

It looks like most polls believe there will be one more increase by year end. Just arguing weather it will be in September or later.

This happening every day with 3 bed houses where housing agencies and councils outbid other buyers…Why because people are screaming to solve the homeless crisis and building takes time.

A lot of the time the same people calling for this to be resolved are the same people impacted the most by reduced supply of houses to rent or buy due to agency and councils buying from current supply and outbidding the public.

The point that I was making was that this is not a distressed asset and is income generating so if done right it can provide a steady cash flow that the agency are 99% certain to have down the road enabling them to make more strategic decisions and maybe put a rolling plan in place rather than always thinking in the short term because the way the government fund them with the risk that funding will be pulled or diverted elsewhere because of some knee jerk reaction to whatever political fall out is happening.

well it’s better than them entering into long term leases that cost more and result in owning no asset at the end. I’m not advocating anything just expressing an opinion that it’s a step in the right direction if it means moving away from costly long term leases.

Are you advocating that housing charities should do Nothing or that we should stick with a policy of experience long term leases?

I'm advocating for a state building company. Prefund it with some of iur current bumper corporation taxes and employ all the trades etc required to build houses/apartments for social and affordable houses.

If we are going to continue to pay for social housing we might as well be the owners of those houses and we might as well reap the benefits associated with building them ie increased employment and tax revenue.

• Advertisement

This happening every day with 3 bed houses where housing agencies and councils outbid other buyers…Why because people are screaming to solve the homeless crisis and building takes time.

Sure I can see how Tuath buying unoccupied units and making them available at affordable rents helps the housing crisis and fulfils Tuath's aims and objectives.

I'm less clear on how outbidding private investors for fully tenanted units does either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

There’s a general consensus out there that we are building close to as much as we can with the labour we have. If you’ve tried to get a tradesperson in the last two years, it’s hard to disagree with that suggestion.

So by doing what you’re proposing, all you’re going to do is redirect resources from private building to public building. Less houses to buy/rent for those on middle incomes and above. More houses to give to unemployed/lower incomes.

Im not saying the above is inherently wrong or right, but I think it’s important to accept this is merely a redirection of capacity rather than creating additional capacity. ‘Just build more houses’ is over simplistic at the moment.

And as many have said, I would put a significant bet that this new state building company would build fewer houses and at a higher cost than the private sector. So it’s not even a 1:1 redirect.

If the private sector slows and workers start to lose jobs/emigrate like they did in 09, I would strongly support the state picking up the slack to ensure we keep on building instead of shipping our talent out to Australia. But that just isn’t the current situation we are in.

I would strongly support setting aside public funds to keep construction going if/when private sector runs cold. A counter cyclical measure of sorts.

It would be cheaper to build at that point in the cycle and would give crucial certainty to people considering trades that they won’t be hung out to dry when the economy turns. It’s exactly what we should have done in the last recession, but sadly when your country is broke and house prices are collapsing, it’s hard to get public support for spending money to keeping building more houses.

We need to start somewhere. Line in the sand stuff. We've bonanza corporate revenue that nobody knows what to do with and we've a housing crisis.

So perfect time to use one to help the other. Brand new shiny public body. We'll always need housing. Social and affordable could eventually take over from private entirely. Who knows.

But either way start now. If trades had a public service element you'd see more going into them. Increasing overall numbers.

It would 100% have its downsides. Everything does. We're greedy useless humans at the end of the day. But that's no reason not to do it.

It would feed into infrastructure etc as well. It would of course be wasteful like all other public bodies but no more than the current ridiculousness of the tuath article and when not being wasteful it would be useful. Like all public bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Most ideas of a state building company don't have it starting at full tilt tomorrow, sucking up labour from the private sector, as you're arguing against. Both because of the negative impact on the private sector and because of the logistical issues of scaling up such a large project. Its instead a medium/long term plan.

There are lots of relatively easy to do things - start making apprenticeships and the trades more attractive by offering higher salaries and guaranteed long term state contracts, start importing labour (and housing it in modular housing if need be) etc. Over a 5-10 year window they could achieve a lot.

Ideally we'd reach a scenario where the state would have say 10,000-30,000 permanent full time employees in construction who build housing units consistently, year after year, through both up and down turns.

And as you mention, if slack does emerge in the private sector, then suck up any spare capacity temporarily from there if practical.

I agree with you both. Ground-up state entity built over many years could work. I think we’re all seeing that people working in trades are every bit as ‘essential’ to a functioning society as doctors and nurses (I’d argue more, but I guess I’m young and biased) and therefore a heavy public sector employment base makes sense.

But in the context of what is very much a housing ‘emergency’, this would be too slow to get much support. It would be multiple governments and likely another housing boom/bust before it bore any fruit. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it, but short termism rules the day in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I thought under EU legislation you really can’t have a state backed building company ? Due to competition laws

Assuming the state entity stuck solely to building social housing and didn’t begin selling loss making housing into the general population then surely it would be ok from a competition perspective?

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Offering higher salaries to trades to try and attract more of them will just drive prices up as costs will increase, and the government will get slated for it, guaranteed. Imported labour - where is this imported labour going to live?

Neither thing is really "relatively easy".

Not really sure to be honest, but I thought the state itself couldn't build houses. But the county councils themselves could do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I see often here the assumption that tradesmen are hard to get.

I think work has slowed down for tradesmen. I see lots of them advertising or if anyone puts a small job on, no shortage of responses.

Are we really sure that we are short of tradesmen?

What kind of jobs people here found hard to get responses from a tradesmen? Small nixer like patching a tiny hole in the wall type of job?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More criticisms of the Irish conveyancing process, this time from estate agents.

The current system of 4month+ to close is simply not good enough in a modern country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

One of the biggest issues I think we have is how we as a State view housing in all its forms.

The State can't manage its stock as non payment of rent, non payment of mortgages, anti social behaviour in social housing estates etc. People going on housing lists once they turn 18.

One of the reasons the AHB are gaining such prominence is they remove the State from housing people and they have to deal with delinquent tenants etc.

If we actually dealt with these issues some (not all) of the housing crisis would be reduced.

I am not sure if it is frequency bias, but I certainly notice the likes of Cairn homes advertising on Instagram and other online sites about new developments. It would have been unheard of say last year as everything was being snapped up. Maybe there is something to it or maybe there isn't

Offering higher salaries to apprentices would have a very marginal effect on driving up overall construction prices in the private sector. Apprentice salaries aren't a meaningful percentage of the overall cost of building a house.

The government will have built enough modular housing to house 2800 Ukrainians by the end of this year. The first modular homes came online in June, only 14 months after Ukrainians started arriving here. The cost of each unit is working out to approx €145k. They're not difficult, time-consuming, or expensive, to build, when the political will is there, it turns out. If we built modular housing to house imported construction labour at a similar rate within three years we could have circa 5000 imported workers housed, and working for the state.

Both are very much relatively easy in the context of the worst housing crisis in the history of the Irish state. Neither would require massive amounts of funding, and neither would negatively impact the lives of Irish people (ie voters).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

How come there is an assumption that there were other bidders for the properties concerned. After all, other reits will have the same issues as IRES Reit.

That assumption was TimingBelt's, saying that Tuath buying these was a good thing as a fund could have easily snapped them up. I am far from convinced there was a queue of REITs beating a path to IRES's door for exactly the reasons you're mentioning.

All we know for sure is that IRES will have sought out the highest bids, they did not offer it exclusively to Tuath.

So, either way, the logic of Tuath buying these seems odd.

If there were other bidders, why is a state backed housing agency spending 72m to outbid private investors buying fully tenanted blocks? Surely the 72m would be better spent somewhere that addresses or alleviates a currently unmet housing need?

Or if there were no other bidders, why is a state backed housing agency spending 72m to buy fully tenanted blocks at a price private investors were not prepared to pay? Surely the 72m would be better spent somewhere that addresses or alleviates a currently unmet housing need?

And if private investors were not prepared to pay 72m, the problems that Tuath and the government are trying to address, could be better addressed by ensuring the private market set the price for these apartments - be it 65m, 60m, 55m or whatever.

Whatever way you look at, something seems off about this.

"If there were other bidders, why is a state backed housing agency spending 72m to outbid private investors buying fully tenanted blocks? Surely the 72m would be better spent somewhere that addresses or alleviates a currently unmet housing need?"

The issue is the state has completely failed to build social/affordable housing (€1bn unspent in the capital budget for housing last three years etc) over the last decade and so our government is now panicking and throwing money at the problem - by buying up and leasing private sector housing instead.

Which is obviously a terrible idea on multiple levels. It uses tax payers money to bid against them, it vastly over pays for the properties, it leaves no asset with the state long term when they're leases, and most fundamentally of all it doesn't actually help the housing crisis because it doesn't add any housing units to the market - it just adds to social housing by removing units from the private sector. Its a net gain of 0.

That 72mn would pretty obviously have been much better spent actually building state owned apartments, and letting the IRES apartments go for sale to the private sector. But that would go against FG's ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

There should be more plans like this for the city centre. A lot of ugly derelict buildings.

Living the life

Advertisement