Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Yes my weight is creeping up, 2 kilos so far. I dont really care about weight gain as a general rule, but in my heart of hearts I know I need to get junk snacking under control. The running is making me crave awful stuff. I'd love some recipes, thanks😊. I got a protein powder in decathalon last time I was there. Was great at taking it for a few days then put it in cupboard and forgot about it. Starting it again today.

Legs felt heavy today, I can't say I enjoyed my run, and I was saturated when I got in from the humidity.

Great tips thanks. I love a boiled egg and have one or 2 most days since training commenced. I'm thinking I'll just make it standard to have a protein shake ready and waiting in the fridge dor post run. I'll look up clif blocks - never heard of them 👌🏽👌🏽

Great tips, thank you. My OH has the mornings blocked off for running as he's doing Amsterdam, so it's evening time for me, or earlier if I can manage it,like today. Come September it'll be easier to get out early 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

My HH Based Plan:  5| 5 | 10 Tempo/PMP | 5 |5 | 5 | 18 (LSR) |

Actual (KMs): 5| 5 | 10 Tempo/PMP | 5 | 5 | 5 | 18 (LSR |

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Yes

Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? Yes all ran at correct paces maybe a little slower than last week overall.

LSR felt like a slog this week I didnt run the parkrun fast this week so was hoping to feel fresher but not the case, I still need to order new Shorts and a singlet ive been doing my long run in Running tights which is way too hot for me.

I took a Gel at 40mins on my LSR and another at 80Mins I think they helped a bit but the main issue for me is pain in the feet when running I have broken a metasal on one leg and the ankle on the other foot so the bits where the bone healed get sesitive once I go over 15km. I am hoping this will change as the body gets used to it.

Im in 2 minds at the moment about trying to lose some weight but also concious I need energy for the runs. Im 183cm and 106kg I think my feet would hurt alot less if I get to 95kg for the marathon but not sure if restriciting calories is too much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's actually kind of reassuring to hear other people struggling with their weight even when running big mileage. I lost a lot of weight between February and April, about 10kg and since that it's really slowed to a crawl, I've only lost 1kg or 2kg since.

Although my weight is remaining somewhat static recently, I still think I'm in better shape.

I haven't measured myself, but I've started using some "Large" run tops and t-shirts last week that didn't fit me a month ago. I also think my legs have gotten bigger, which I guess also makes sense.

So maybe worth disregarding the scales a little!

I'm 176cm and 91kg and could also probably do with losing another 10kg, but I think for similar reasons to what people are talking about here, I don't think it's going to happen. It's about a kg per week at this point, and I don't see weight loss like that at all anymore!

I've definitely made my primary goal eating properly for the amount of training I'm doing, secondary goal is to lose weight.

All I feel I can do is eat as well as I can, try cut out junk, and the scales will say what they say

• Advertisement

Yep, definitely. Marathon training combined with targeted weight loss is a very bad idea, imo. It would also be torturous. Also, some of the weight gain is going to be muscle; my calves are huge and now very noticeable in tight jeans! 😆

I'm going to limit myself to one treat a day, something small and sweet with my coveted double shot coffee, and that's it. Still have to enjoy life, just be a bit more sensible.

I just ate a packet of Lidl chilli and lime cooked prawns straight from the plastic packet. Staying classy. Protein ftw 💪🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got the full week in with all 5 planned runs and hip is feeling good!

Swapped last week's and this week's long run to ease the build up slightly so will run 26 km this week. Ran the MP workout at 5:20 min/km but will be looking to the remaining races to try and see what's realistic.

The tops of my feet started to hurt about 17 km into my long run and it seems to be a case of them just being laced and tied too tight; it was the first time I'd run that far in my Nike Infinity Reacts. Found a few articles and have changed how they're laced so will see how I get on this weekend. Took a gel halfway in and no ill effects so will try get two in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'd try to get at least 2 full prep long runs in before now and DCM....breakfast, full fueling plan etc. One or two gels doesn't prepare the body for marathon day. People's reactions to different brands of gels are hugely varied so I'd be looking to box that off early. For what it's worth I think Maurten are the ace in the pack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Club Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|rest|26km

Actual|track|rest|track|rest|5km|rest|16km

Late update. Off club plan as I had swapped with the previous week to slot in the Kilbeggan 10 miler.

Track sessions with the advanced group still feels tougher but the upside is that I'm getting more mileage in a session. Out for an easy 5km on Fri morn while I was away, I do like to run somewhere different.

Kilbeggan 10 mile on Sunday was good. I was running with someone else in their first 10 mile race for 8 of the 10 miles. Time of 1:38 which I was happy with considering I had a good steady run, I wanted to run it strong and comfortable and not race it (well raced the last 500m!) Anyone who has run this route knows (or learns) that there's a hill at the start of the last mile and I was happy that I ran up the whole way. I also use this race to try out a different gel (the normal Hi5 as opposed to the Hi5 aqua gels I've been using so far) which worked out fine. Think I'll put in a bulk order for some this week.

Total for the week 35km. Also did 3 workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I didn’t get back online yesterday but wanted to pop up a few recipes I find handy. Just remember for the next few months you want to fuel your body not only for long runs but also for recovery after so you aren’t exhausted and can live your normal day to day life too. Being in a calorie deficit to lose weight wouldn’t be ideal but by all means you could eat a little less calories on the days not surrounding your long run. You don’t need to over think it. I was with a nutritional coach last year which really helped me and well worth a browse of her Instagram as she comes up with amazing recipes. She’s all about no restrictions and eating everything you like but try keep to 80-90% nutrient dense foods and 10-20% less nutrient dense! You’ll get brilliant info from Instagram and her recipes. The baked oats one I’m posting here is my version of hers. I can’t link to Instagram it seems from here so her name is Vikki Cronin The Macro Coach.

The Baked Oats recipe:

80g oats

80g Greek yogurt

160g egg white

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla extract 

40g white chocolate chips

Raspberries

Blend the oats, Greek yogurt, egg white, vanilla extract and baking powder. Stir in the white choc chips and pour into a lined loaf tin (or silicon loaf tin doesn’t need to be lined). Top with raspberries. Bake for 30 mins at 180. 

This is two portions and will keep in the fridge. I reheat each morning for two mins in the microwave and have with a bit of Greek yogurt or whatever you like. I actually double the recipe and make every few days and they do keep in the fridge or freeze well. Also, you can eat them cold. I make these and travel with them and eat before a marathon or race or in the car en route etc. I’ve made them into muffins in that case

Energy Balls - a Derval O’Rourke recipe. Really good. Vikki has some amazing ones that taste like the Sibly ones from Aldi / Supervalu on her page but so much cheaper to make yourself.

• Advertisement

Had a gorgeous session today. Bit faster than mp at times due to watch being unreliable in the dense woods. The humidity is something else today. Ate a fulfil bar and a protein shake straight after. Still don't feel hungry 3 hrs later 👌🏽

Long run tomorrow morning - 26km - the thoughts of it! I'm feeling tired this week, feeling it in the legs.

I was dreading the 12k at MP this morning as I am also feeling it this week! It went fine though. Although my reward is a 23k run tomorrow 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I think I picked the wrong day to do my MP miles 😓. Hot, windy and humid. I died a death out there today and ended up having to stop twice. It felt way harder than it should have. I definitely questioned my sanity more than once during the run 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hope everyone's running is going well.

I'm starting to think about the Frank Duffy 10 mile next Saturday. Does anyone have a list of pace groups? I fancy trying to hang on to a 1:15 group if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I'm not bothered on the day but at this stage 3:45 for the purpose of calculating training paces. My last 10k was 46 mins (4:36/km) and 1:15 is 4:41/km which seems challenging, but failing will be useful feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Week 7 completed ! It was a 6 day week for me because the previous week I had to do my LSR on the Bank Holiday Monday. So 5 runs completed and 31.2 miles (50Km) in the bag. I found the MP miles really challenging. Hopefully just one of those things and down to the heat (or maybe heavy legs from the gym the day before), but it was WAY tougher than it should have been. Today's LSR was a nice contrast. Would even go so far as to say I enjoyed it. Well most of it anyway : the last mile weaving through the crowds near Croke Park on tired legs was due to bad route planning on my part. But otherwise all good and fuelled by a large bag of Jelly Babies and 2 gels. One gym session and just one tennis game this week. Just remembered earlier that Frank Duffy is on Saturday 😯. No idea what pace to go for. Looking at the route it seems hilly for the first half and more or less flat for the 2nd. It's so long since I've raced anything, even a parkrun, that I'm nervous of going for anything faster than MP.

Hope everyone had a good week. Great to see all the runs on Strava.

Club Plan|Track|rest|Track|rest|rest|rest|26km

Actual|7km|5km|track|rest|rest|26km|rest

Mon was the bank hol so track training not on. Went for a 7km recovery run which could have been slower. Out for a last minute off plan 5km with a friend Tues eve which ended up faster as each km went by. Then Weds eve at the track my legs were so tired. Took my rest on Thurs & Fri and then did my long run Sat morn instead of the usual Sun morn as I'd something on. Up to 26km now 2hr 48mins. I'm finding I'm grand up to 21km and after that it's feeling like a slog. But when we finished I said said we're only 10 mile from marathon distance!

Total for the week 44km. Only 1 workout managed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clareview

Week 7 (7th Aug - 13th Aug)

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Only got 4 runs in this week and they were as per Boards plan for Tues/Wed/Thurs/ and then Sat LSR, totalling out at 46km for the week. 2 weights sessions completed too!

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace? Yeah happy with the runs midweek pace wise; Ran the PMP section on the wednesday session at 6.22/km pace and was relatively grand but extremely warm/humid out. The LSR 22km on Sat morning I completed at 6.41/km avg pace. fuelling needs to improve for these runs!

Looking ahead to the Frank Duffy 10miler in PP this weekend I'm not sure what way to go about racing it as have no clue what kind of pace I could hold on to for the distance.. But I think need to be aiming at around the 1hr30mins mark to have a realistic shot at a 4.30 marathon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

WEEK 8, wow!

The hardest part of running a marathon is getting the training in and 18 weeks is a long time to stay committed to one goal. Take comfort in the miles you are running and the excellent training you are putting in; the victory lap in October will make all the sacrifices well worth it.

The Frank Duffy 10 mile will be a significant milestone for many of you on your DCM journey that it will give you an opportunity to practice race strategy and preparation. As it’s race week, sleeping, eating and drinking are going to be vital. Keep an eye on your hydration habits. Try to get the sleep in and make healthy food choices.

A couple of people have asked about the race pace, I'd suggest slightly slower than your 10k pace from your most recent race, remember not to go out to fast and if you still have good legs at the final few kms then you can push for all is worth.

Schedules for next week as follows:

For those not racing, week 8 will look like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|13m lsr|rest

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|7m easy|3m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|15m lsr|2m rec

For those racing, Week 8 is as follows :

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|rest|rest|FD10|rest

Boards|rest/cross/3M rec|4M with 5 x strides|5M easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|2m easy|FD10|2m rec

Very best of luck to all those racing & remember to report back & let us know how you found it. Myself and MrsJinx will be there so say hello if you happen to spot me.

Planned:

6.5k|11.5k|6.5k|Rest|11.5k @ mp|22.5k|cross

Actual:

7k|12k|7k|Rest|12k @ mp|24.4k|cross

63k for the week, Most K I've ran in a week. Over a half being the longest I've ever ran too. Pace was ok for all of them other than Monday where I forgot my watch.

Definitely feeling the increase, but managing ok so far anyways. As previously mentioned was not looking forward to Friday Mp, but it went ok in the end.

Feet were tired at the end of the long run, not sure if that's my runners dieng or just what happens when you run for nearly 3 hours! I'm in uncharted territory these days.

I'm having some chaffing issues I need to get on top of for the marathon too

I'm on the fence about doing Tullamore half in two weeks. I will do a half at race pace either way, but I'm just not sure I'm bothered driving to Tullamore and paying €40 to do it 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Week 7:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Plan  | Rest | 6.5 | 11 | 6.5 | Rest | 25 | Rest |

Actual| Rest | 6.5 | 11 | 6.5 | Rest | Rest| 20 | 

Started to get a niggle in my hamstring around the 15k mark on the long run. I tried stopping and walking and starting again but it wasn't getting any better so I cut the run short at 20 and walked the last 5k before I did damage to it. Will do some more stretching today and hopefully it should be ok, will book Physio otherwise. 

Other than that got the runs done and happy to not be sick this week.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Ran the first easy run on Tuesday and it felt easy but I felt like was going a lot faster than I was.

Cue waking up on Wednesday and not feeling the best so decided to swap the MP workout and the next easy run. Didn't feel easy but pace was easy.

Thursday not feeling a whole lot better but decided to push through (build mental toughness if anything) and do the MP workout. It was tough; pacing all over the place but run done.

Friday was rest and Saturday I still didn't feel great so I said that I'd push the long run to Sunday. Sunday I felt worse. I could've gone out and done it but from reading online it's likely it'd do more harm than good.

So only 3 runs and 24 km for the week.

I'm thinking of trying to get the long run in ahead of the Frank Duffy this week as I've missed a few and not in dire need of a taper. Maybe Wednesday as the cut off?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

Really poor week for me. I've been feeling very run down the past few weeks and have been struggling to stay on top of various niggles so I decided to take a break while I was away on holiday in the hope that I'd come back refreshed. I got back on Friday and did an "easy" 7km which felt like absolute hell 😂

I was travelling again on Sat so I did the long run on Sunday. I didn't have any gels so I treated myself to two packs of Randoms instead - tasty but not as effective I suspect. This wasn't as unenjoyable as Friday's effort but still pretty tough.

The last 3 weeks of training have been a real grind. I could count on one hand the number of runs I really enjoyed. I'm hoping the 10 mile on Saturday is a confidence booster but I don't want to beat myself up too badly if it doesn't go to plan given the lead up.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this week? Is it worth trying to up the mileage slightly given the lack of running last week or should I just write it off and stick to the plan? I'm not against dropping the race either if it's the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Firstly, don't go chasing lost miles. They are gone, forget them.

If you are prepared to miss the race then that's what I would do. Getting another LSR into the legs would be more beneficial given your recent fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

When you say the easy 7km felt like hell, can you explain why? Was it lack of motivation and interest, was it physically difficult, or was it both?

Being your first run back after holidays, its always going to be harder, so don't beat yourself up too much. The main thing is to get back on program and stick with it. If the runs are hard, then readjust your goal and pace accordingly and try find a spot where you are feeling a bit more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Runner2023

A little bit of both I guess but mostly physically difficult. I think I was expecting the legs to be fresh after a few days off and they were the opposite so that was a bit demoralising. In hindsight I was just after travelling for 5/6 hours so it shouldn't have been that surprising but the legs were really heavy and I was just dealing with aches and pains the whole way through.

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 

Got in 6 the six runs. 58.6km total.

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?  

Yes I think I did. Kept mp session at 6.20pkm ish but was in the woods so my watch was a bit jittery. I kept the LSR at around 7.45pkm. A lot of it was trail so was anxious not to roll my ankle. Husband ran some of his LSR on it yesterday and hated the trail and advised me not to run there again as he thinks injury risk is too high, even for LSR.

Have added magnesium supplement before bed as tiredness catching up a bit. Really watching my nutrition now with a protein shake after each run (mainly to avoid unhealthy snacking) and I'm getting lots of sleep. Have also been taking one to two Zero Tabs per day for some weeks now - mainly because it reminds me to drink water, which I'm terrible at.

I was meant to try the decathlon belt on my LSR but absolutely hated how tight it was (Size 4). I know my body - I'd have a lower stitch in no time and I wasn't running with that for 24km! Will test it out tomorrow, but honestly at the moment, I hate it. Also tested decathlon gels, not mad on them. Still loving the decathlon shorts with built in pockets. They might be my marathon shorts.

Also looking ahead to the Frank Duffy 10 mile and not sure what to do. Husband telling me to go all out, but I dunno. Last years pace was 6.17pkm (with personal pacing). That's near my marathon pace so will definitely do faster. May 5.45pkm? My recent 10km pb race was 5.25pkm....

I'm only going to do 3 runs before race - tue, wed and Fri.

Gr3at to see everybody's updates. Keep her lit!!

• Advertisement

In my novice opinion the boards plan is quite demanding with a faster ramp than (say) HHN1, and you did almost no running in the months beforehand, so it's not surprising that your body is giving out to you after a few weeks of it.

The important thing is that you managed the long run!

Advertisement