Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ha! We will need to wait until an American tourist actually dies in an attack.

A few Garda "days of action" Operation Such-and-Such until things calm down and then its quietly dropped until the next attack and the cycle repeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I find some of the denial posts on here very hard to believe as genuine to be honest. In spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary if they only walked into town away from their keyboards the issues are laid out right there on front of them. Widespread drug abuse, widespread selling of drugs, aggressiveness on the streets, a lack of policing.

Feels like a co-ordinated effort to dilute the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's the keyboard drama queens that aren't spending any time in the city centre and are afraid of their own shadows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any groups of feral youths selling drugs outside Zaytoon? Just wondering if I can get my fix after some decent food or if it has to be McDonalds?

there have been tourists killed in cities around the world that i still consider really safe - amsterdam, sydney, lisbon... you could find tourist murders in the news for pretty much any city out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I know. They are starting to remind me of flat earthers now. Fierce denial in the face of overwhelming evidence. Refusing to even contemplate that its possible that anyone else could ever believe the earth was round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s very difficult to accept the claim that Dublin City Centre is dangerous, particularly when there’s nothing offered by way of comparison. The claim simply looks like an exaggeration to those who don’t share your opinion that DCC is dangerous. It would be like suggesting that because of some scumbag from down the country on a night out in Dublin assaults a homeless woman, men are dangerous. There has to be some sort of reasonable measure where we can all agree on a place that is dangerous, and then compare that to DCC.

Antisocial behaviour isn’t limited to DCC, drug dealing and drug abuse happens everywhere, doesn’t matter what social circles anyone moves in, and it’s certainly not limited to young people, same with aggression and the lack of visible policing. It’s a national issue, as opposed to the idea that DCC on it’s own is dangerous, or that it’s any more dangerous than anywhere else which is just as safe as the city centre where thousands of people go about their business every day without fear of being the victim of some scumbag who doesn’t know how to behave himself.

overwhelming evidence of what? that bad things happen in the world? tourists are killed in many cities in random attacks. do you think amsterdam is unsafe for example? many here have said they felt safe there but there have been many tourists attacked there and even murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I live 3km away and am in the city centre at least 2/3 times a week easily.

Walked down from Dorset St about 6 weeks ago to Tara Station. On O'Connell St there was 10 lads minimum knocking the shite out of each other and a fella being kicked in the head on the ground at the ambassador, open drug dealing at the Gresham and scramblers up and down by the Spire around the traffic island with no helmets and people on the back followed by Gaurds in a transit van. Pure Benny Hill.

Honestly? Could you blame people being fearful seeing that?

My GF was in tears with fear. She hates going into town. I love it for the Guinness at the Stags Head, The Palace and Bowes and the people you meet 😁 No one would say anything to me as I'm not the friendliest looking myself, but I can understand how some people are targetted.

Ultimately I want Dublin to be safe for all and we should always demand better standards. That goes for all walks of life to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It’s very difficult to accept the claim that Dublin City Centre is dangerous, particularly when there’s nothing offered by way of comparison.

This a massive attempted sleight-of-hand and a complete cop-out. People walking around Dublin city centre don't need to set it against X city in Brazil or Y city in the US to know it's unsafe. No one needs to consult a CSO excel sheet on crime statistics when they see youngfellas lamping the sh*t out of each other on the street. They know what they're looking at and they're seeing it with greater frequency.

The public domain in Dublin is objectively less safe and more intimidating than it was 10 years ago. Everyone can see and feel it and it's blindingly obvious.

We're starting to get silly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,521 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

O Connell street and around it is a world of its own at this stage. I used to work off Marlborough street oh boyyyy. One of my mates coming into her office in the morning to find a drug addict asleep on her chair their pockets full of things like her photo frames....having pissed himself was a highlight.

I love the lighthouse but tend not to go as much anymore because I need to walk along merchant quay to get to my bus which has pretty much been turned over to drug addicts and dealers at this stage.

Even in the parts considered posher it's just rougher imo. I was in town during the day at the weekend (like you I am probably in a few times a week, and in the office similar), people openly shooting up in front of the closed down Dawson hotel. A beggar aggressively annoying people sitting outside the milanos. Tourists (I admit obvious looking ones) getting harassed aggressively for money. It's just really sad. I have lived in Dublin for 20+ years and I have genuinely never seen it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,799 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Merchants Quay has become comically bad, particularly at The Riverbank.

You'd be amazed what I see cycling by there every day. And I'm just whizzing passed in a few seconds.

A few weeks back there was a brawl that had literally spilled out onto the road and I'd to slalom between people rolling around on the ground fighting.

You also get absolute space cadets riding e bikes and scooters the wrong way up the cycle track there. I'd one absolute scrote come at me head on riding a scooter at insane speed and almost had a head on collision.

One of my mates coming into her office in the morning to find a drug addict asleep on her chair their pockets full of things like her photo frames....having pissed himself was a highlight.

We need a double-blind longitudinal multivaried analysis of crime and drug addiction statistics across at least 100 cities worldwide controlling for local cultural mores and attitudes towards the smell of piss to definitively say if this means Dublin is more or less unsafe than in the past.

Otherwise its a load of old media waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,521 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I used to whizz past it on the 79/79a and it always had an element of drug users etc but yeah, it's on another level the past while.

I know there is a hostel used by tourists just past where the MQI building is I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Are you referring to police stuck in stations doing paperwork?

What you're suggesting goes against he principles of democracy, law and order.

But if you're referring to cops that should be in the street, then yes.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’ve taken posters to task before for attempting to provide anecdotal evidence in support of their argument, yet you’re relying on it here when you’re expecting that your anecdotal evidence should mean something. There’s no sleight of hand going on, I explained earlier that a comparison is necessary in order to guage what anyone considers dangerous when clearly we have very different views on what any of us consider would qualify DCC as dangerous.

For what it’s worth for example, I knew San Fran had an issue with open defecation, which is why I inquired of you earlier about whether or not your single experience was indicative of a trend, because I know it’s nowhere near the levels of open defecation in India (and they’re not the worst offenders), and it’s not anywhere close to San Fran. So should anyone be concerned? I would say not really.

I’d say the same of the levels of antisocial behaviour in DCC - is it something ordinary people need to be in fear of when going about their business in DCC? The answer as far as I’m concerned is obviously not. Clearly you feel differently, so the only way of determining whether or not the claim has any merit is to have quantifiable, credible evidence, rather than just media reports, from outlets peddling misery and fearmongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Allinall

Maybe Dublin City would be a lot safer if all the nervous Nelly's stayed away, thus denying the scrotes the opportunity to prey on the easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'll be the first to admit that I don't go to every corner of the city centre but I've been going to the same areas all my life and I see no difference in antisocial/addiction.

I'm on both sides of the liffey, I go to Dublin games and rugby games. I don't wander down alleys tho.

All in allI feel as safe as one can. I'd always have my wits about me no matter where I am. But its not Gotham city.

is it something ordinary people need to be in fear of when going about their business in DCC? The answer as far as I’m concerned is obviously not.

Would you be satisfied, with a straight face, to sit down by the hostpital bed of the American tourist and repeat that to his sons? The family of Urantsetseg Tserendorj? To Jack Woolly? To the Ukrainian actor who was viciously beaten? To Randy Blythe (musician who was beaten up on the quays and called for the parents of Dublin to spay and neuter their kids)? To a Brazilian Deliveroo cyclist?

If the answer is no, and you and I both know the answer is no, then you're talking pony about stats and cross-comparisons.

You want me or someone else to go around counting human turds on the street of Dublin and email San Francisco City Hall for their stats before we can admit Dublin is going down the swanny?

You're really really being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Haven't a clue, but if there is then you're welcome to start a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Would you say that the assaults that have been in the media recently paint a picture of a safe city?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Three English blokes got battered at 10 o'clock on a weekend night in the middle of the busiest part of Temple Bar by a gang of scrote teenage drug dealers though. Hardly nervous Nelly's. It highlights the main issue we have here, scumbag teenagers can and will do whatever they want.

I'm reminded of it every time I drive through Ballymun and see them flying around on robbed bikes without a care in the world, so it gets annoying when people apologise for the little turds behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'd say the 4 million tourists that were estimated to have come to Dublin so far this year who weren't attacked paint a picture of a safe city.

well by that measure anywhere where there are assaults is unsafe no? what cities are actually safe?

not barcelona

not la coruna

not berlin

etc. etc. etc. you can find attacks on tourists in pretty much any city outside of a few perfect places like oslo and vienna and the likes.

now you'll all say it's me going "oh everything is fine there's attacks elsewhere", but i've been to these 3 places and never felt unsafe for a second, nor do i ever feel unsafe in dublin. policing needs to be improved in dublin but bad things happen everywhere, and no matter what we do in dublin they will continue to happen to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The police presence in temple bar disappeared during Covid. I passed through it in the middle of the pandemic and it was pretty much just junkies and tourists. I saw a guy shooting up into his foot across from the button factory at 6pm.

After Covid there were gangs of teenagers hanging about looking for trouble. Before covid the gardai would move them on so they never hung around looking for trouble. In any tourist destination, there are higher sentences for attacking a tourist as it can damage the reputation of the city.

Oh lookey here, we're on a whistlestop European tour of google searches for crime. People aren't get their head kicked-in in Dublin in ever greater frequency. Wonderful news.

Look over there, it's a squirrel.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement