Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

England were very poor, but they did show a lot of heart to mount a comeback and actually win despite being down to 12 men at one stage.

Thought they had a promising attacking shape that was let down by handling errors. They look like a team with zero confidence moreso than one with bad players.

Ireland at their best are better by a decent margin. But we're going to be starting a lot of players for the first time this season. England will be on their third game and I imagine Borthwick will go strong too. They'll raise their game against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I thought the English pack were pretty good. It has to be viewed in the context of the opposition but normally the Welsh pack can give them problems. Aside from the scrum, they physically dominated them and surely would have won by a comfortable distance if they didn't encounter so many disciplinary issues. It's incredible to think that a team that played almost 6 minutes of the second half with 12 men, still managed to have 73% territory in that half.

Farrell being out may be a blessing in disguise for them. He has had a poor year overall by his standards and Ford looked by far the most competent outhalf of the three options when he came on. He played sensible stuff and worked well with his pack. England will be one dimensional with their pack and Ford at 10 but that would be enough for them to get their sh*t together and be a functioning team in the RWC.

Discipline is a massive issue though. You can't have three yellow cards and a red card in a game and expect to win unless you're facing an incompetent opposition team. On another day, Adams' head collides with the ground and Steward is given a red card too. That was every bit as stupid as Farrell's hit. He looked up and clearly saw Adams jumping into the air and didn't attempt to pull out whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see what team they put out against Ireland. A few tweaks to the pack but I think it will largely remain the same. Ford and Youngs potentially to start at halfback and look to double down on their forward geared game.

Whilst it would be ideally a game plan for Keenan in a tournament fixture, it would probably be more beneficial to see someone else at full back for this game if Ford is the one looking to pepper the backfield.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why would we "play our best" and provide all our opponents with lots of video analysis of our attacking shape and updated strike plays in a meaningless warm-up game 3 weeks before the tournament starts?

We'll play well , we'll win, but I doubt we'll see anything "new" at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In other news - Looks like N'Tamack is out of the World Cup.

Reports saying he's done his ACL and will be out for a good while.

Huge loss for France if confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'd say this game was always intended as the main prep for WC with a full starting team although I'd like to see Doris rested fully for the next games. I think Englanf will mix and match and if we get through without any injuries and play well I would hope that we give the wider squad gametime against Samoa. The south sea islanders can be reckless in tackles and we don't want any unnecessary injuries

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

This is always the worry with warm up games. All I really want out of ours is to come through without any injuries or suspensions.

Feel bad for N'Tamack. Not as big a loss for France as Dupont would be, but it's still a serious one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cyril Baille is out for 5-6 weeks now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The England game is shaping up to be a lose lose for anyone trying to make a case for a last minute inclusion.

If they play and we hammer England, it'll just be because England are in a crisis and we should have been beating them anyway.

If they play poorly against England, they'll have 'blown their opportunity'

I hope Coombes gets a chance to start on Saturday. I hope he plays out of skin, but I fear that even if he has the game of his career, there's nothing he can possibly do to get himself on the plane of Conan's leg recovers enough to get him on the plane.

On the other side of the coin. Players who are already pretty much nailed on for the 33 man squad could play really poorly on Saturday and as long as we win by the smallest margin or they don't make some really glaring errors, the logic will be that their job is just to avoid suspension or injury and mind themselves physically

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think the coaches actually put much stock in the result of these games one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

Maybe the coaches don't but I don't think the England or Wales players took much notice as they seemed keen to knock lumps out of each other

• Advertisement

Seeing some of the injuries from the weekend has definitely gotten me more anxious about Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think the coaches have a set group of players they have in the squad already (about 29-30). Then they probably have about 6-8 more that are in competition for those last 3-4 spots. Then the remainder they want up to speed in case of injuries to specific players.

I think they've given significant insight into their preferences already with how they've chosen their match day squads over the past year or even the training squad in the 6N.

Nash, Stewart and Blade weren't in either of the 6N squads named this season so I'd expect they're making up the numbers in the event of injury, somewhat. Treadwell got a cap in the final 6N game but was only brought into the revised 6N squad after Beirne and McCarthy were injured so I'd imagine he's probably on the outside too.

Then we've Stockdale, Coombes and Osborne who were in squads but never received a cap this past season.

So straight away, there's 7 guys who are probably up against it to make the final cut as it stands barring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we play poorly, I'm sure the excuse will be we were "holding stuff back", just like we were supposedly in 2019.

And if we play well , you'll say it's because England were shít and we're "flattering to deceive" or something.

Honestly - Have you ever posted and just said "That was a decent performance , happy with that" ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The lengths you will go to to get pre-emptively negative about a team on an 11 match winning streak who have been number 1 in the world for a year are utterly ridiculous.

In our last 22 matches we have a loss by 6 points away to France and a loss away to NZ in Eden Park. That is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭boetstark

I hope you are correct. Personally because of the way the groups and fixtures, I don't think any team from group b will get past quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah the idea of milking 4 test games out of the world cup warm ups doesn't look like a great idea at the moment.. especially when ireland look like they had a great warm weather camp last week in Portugal.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’re off the back of a Grand Slam, an unbeaten Autumn and series win in New Zealand.

Whereas you’re supposing that if we fail to win by 30 points or so vs England in a RWC warm-up game, we should be worried.

It’s way over-stating things.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the betting spread is -14 to ireland

if anyone thinks we can win by 26 points or more, its 9/2... so fill yer boots.

the english squad is selected, so they wont be going out with anything to prove. All they want is a good performance.

our wins over the last 3 games have been by 14, 17 and 13 points respectively, so i would be expecting something similar, and praying we dont sustain any significant injury.

To be honest - Injury free and a good hit out for the players getting a first run is all that's needed.

• Advertisement

Have you ever posted and just said "That was a decent performance , happy with that" ?

Yes

We’re off the back of a Grand Slam, an unbeaten Autumn and series win in New Zealand.

That's all well and good, and those were enjoyable at the time, but this team will ultimately be remembered for how it performs at the World Cup. The last 4 years have been building up to this tournament. Those achievements will mean nothing if we bomb in France. I'm tired of us being the laughing stock of rugby every 4 years.

Whereas you’re supposing that if we fail to win by 30 points or so vs England in a RWC warm-up game, we should be worried.

I'm supposing that if we're struggling for form weeks out from the World Cup, then yes we should be worried. I don't see how that's controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

Given we are going to be playing a more limited style of rugby surely Ross Byrne will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

This team won a grand slam this year friend.

Dunno about you but I don't plan to forget that any time soon.

So "ultimately be remembered for how it performs at the world cup"?

Hyberbolic nonsense.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

We've been a super consistent side for 2 years, where are you getting the "struggling for form" from?

These are game where we're not using anything close to our first team.

This is nothing like the last world cup where we were coming of the back of a poor 6N, we looked frustrated, off form, and like we'd been figured out in a way they were didn't have an answer to. None of those is the case this time round.

These games aren't being used to find form or build momentum...we've done plenty of that and are in the position to be able to use these games as actual warm ups, look at some combinations, finalize the last few slots in the 33, and potential injury backups that could get called in mid tournament.

I just don't see the big red flag indicators that are prompting such a negative outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I guess its just baffling as to why you'd sit here thinking of hypothetical situations where you'd be disappointed with the team

I'm supposing that if we're struggling for form weeks out from the World Cup, then yes we should be worried. I don't see how that's controversial.

Your threshold for “struggling for form” is anything under a 30 point win vs England.

It’s overly negative and more than a little bit silly.

Whilst I'd of course be ecstatic beyond belief were we to win the World Cup my main concern is doing ourselves justice.

Yes - We've lost at QF stage over and over.

But it's the manner of the losses that hurts more than anything else - Other than perhaps the '91 QF against Australia where we played well above expectations and lost in the final play of the game to the ultimate winners and arguably the best Australian team of the last 30/40 years, we have lost all the QF's because we've played Shite , not necessarily because the other side were better than us.

If we go to a QF this year and lose in an absolute belter to France or NZ then yes I'll be gutted but if we can come away and say that the team did justice to their reputation and played to the best of their abilities then that's not some national disaster.

Barring some "black swan" type event , the winner of this years World Cup will come from one of Ireland , NZ , France or South Africa and because of the stupid draw two of those teams will be going home after the Quarter finals.

Does that mean they are crap teams and "chokers" ?

Of course it doesn't, as long as they have done themselves justics and played to the max of their abilities in losing.

I’d agree with all of this. Not only have we never performed in a QF, we’ve generally started terribly as well.

That’s one thing that’s giving me some confidence. This team have a good record of coming flying out of the blocks.

The draw does look so ridiculously lop-sided tho. To the point that it’s not unthinkable, come the SF, with a red-card or a bouncing ball, that someone like Wales could put 2 performances together, and get some luck, to win it.

Like that jammy 6 Nations they won under Pivac. Their form (and luck) eventually reverted to the mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Advertisement