Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Most of us in the West never truly appreciated just how bad things got in Russia during the 90's (tbf, because many of us posting here were kids or young teenagers at the time) but the memories of the hunger suffered at that time (and Putin's taking the credit for ending it) has to be a major factor in the level of support he still has among the older generations.

At the very least the prospect of the kind of suffering endured during the economic "Shock Therapy" of the 90's re-occurring in a collapse of the Russian Federation (or the current regime) surely helps to keep the population in line.

Our own societal memory of famine endures almost 300 years after the event, the Ukrainians would have a small number or individuals for whom the Holodomor is in living memory and while I can't find accurate demographics for the Russian Federation in any great granularity for 2023, if we look at the data for 2020*: 49.3% of the population were over the age of 40.

That's almost half of the population for whom that's in living memory. The prospect of experiencing it again has be a major consideration in the Russian public's hesitance to resist. And if I can figure that out here from my home office in Dublin, you can be damn sure Putin's regime know it, and capitalise on it via their control of state media too.

*https://www.population-trends-asiapacific.org/data/RUS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Would a Brit who lost a family member in an IRA bomb be entertained here if in every post they exclaim "death to all Irish!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would if my level of suffering because of the war got to the point where I was left with no other choice but to do that. Read the first line of my previous post:-

No, but the ones who support the invasion of Ukraine do up until the point that they change their minds and start pressuring Putin to withdraw his forces.

I want Russians who voice support of the war to experience every bit of economic and social pain this war can possibly bring them until they have a change of heart and, as the old rehab saying goes, the pain of change becomes to them less than the pain of staying the same.

Ideally, I would like them to press for change before they reach this point, but human nature being what it is, this probably won't happen, therefore ordinary Russians will have to suffer more in order to mount the political pressure that forces a military withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

YOUR view. Not mine.

In my honest opinion, I find your opinion absolutely abhorrent. But it is what it is. You are entitled to it. I just think less of you as a person for holding those views.

For holding that opinion, the opinion that people should be held in contempt, not because of their actions, but because of the actions of the government where they happen to be resident of, I would class you along the same lines as a racist. But I can see that you feel that you are some moral superior when realistically, you are far from it. The kind of person who I would have no time for in the real world. But I am sure that has no impact on your life, nor should it.

If a russian who lived over here said "I'm not supportive of whats going on", are they ok? Or do they deserve hardship?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As the Ukrainians continue to kill off the stupid Russians, there are two problems. 1) The smart ones still live, and 2) The Russian military, given time, will adapt as all armies in the past have done.

This is a much better example of an attack done correctly. I can quibble (For example, the drone was useless, filming their own side instead of the opposition), but what you have here is a properly formed platoon of the latest, most modern kit, working together with shock, firepower and speed to drop infantry off for the close fight before Ukrainian counter-fire can be brought to bear (You see it arrive as the vehicles withdraw a bit) and then withdrawing under cover of smoke.

As long as the Russians can only do this in platoon sized formations, great. But what happens when they start doing this with company-sized elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

rubble continuing to lose value today. I wonder if it could suddenly go into free fall. Maybe this is what brings putin down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I will admit I don't know much about Iran but I have to say I am not optimistic about that regime ending (or even just moderating) any time soon. Seems (as an outside observer) they have upped their brutality and viciousness and this worked for them (so far) - not a positive lesson really and unlikely to lead to good things. Suppose all we can do is hope something changes for the better.

As for the relationship with Russia, well it is caught on a giant spike in Ukraine and very desperate now.

Iran have leverage there + they know it. Pure speculation...I am betting Putin has promised them God only knows what behind closed doors for help with drones and sanctions busting (main rational/self interest based reason I can come up with for their extremely significant assistance to Russia here in a fight that has nothing to do with them, apart from the fact the US supports Ukraine).

Could be transfer of 1 or more of their big remaining weapons-related crown jewels left over from Soviet era....jet engine technology, rocket motor/missile technology, nuclear weapons designs, maybe even biological weapons expertise. All a bit scary to think about.

We seem to be having a bit of a "moment" for scumbag corrupt autocracy and dictators around the world. There was a short period in last 20-30 years where new IT and communication revolutions coming out of the US/West disrupted their hold over the people in some countries (esp. in ME) where the govt.'s were not ready, but that is well and truly over.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

russia could go broke if the war lasts another year. The war has destroyed their economy. Brain drain, International companies leaving and taking their knowledge/skills/expertise with them. Inflation is set to rocket.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stop the bickering and stop commenting about moderation or threadbans will follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think internal discontent in Russia is how it ends, inflation could well be the catalyst. I think Putin assumed the west was very weak and unprincipled and wouldn't continue to back Ukraine. He's on a hook now and the willingness of his own people to continue to support a pointless war is going to be tested more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

This is why I say the Ukrainians just need to hold out and preserve their soldiers. If they can maintain pressure for another 12 months it may not be worth Russia's interests to continue as they collapse internally.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Some Russians know if they succeed with this land grab it will pay, 2/3 000k from poor or occupied don't matter

It there history to behave

They need an iron curtain permanently otherwise they keep threatening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think people in Ireland sometimes forget how monstrous the war is. At a playground yesterday I met a Ukrainian mother who said she freezes when she hears a plane now, it's a form of PTSD from what those bstards have been doing. Killing and stealing children, threatening nuclear war, mass rapes, Russia is a rogue state who has to be defeated. It can't be negotiated with, it is deeply evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

have you no thoughts for the Russian families inconvenienced by this war??? you monster

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're attempting to re-litigate old arguments either in an attempt at being edgy or whataboutery.

While russia, who are 100% to blame for any deaths of russians that occur in Ukraine, are still engaging in military action against Ukrainians, people will not be shedding any tears for them and will be celebrating any and all Ukrainian victories (many of which will mean russian deaths), similarly, people will be happy to see parts of russia destroy itself whether it's by drone attacks, random factory blow ups or internal strife as all of it is weakening russia and should lead an end to their attempts to annex large parts of Ukraine.

People care about the well being of russians, just a lot less because they're the aggressor.

If you're one of the pretend peaceniks, lay out your peace plan and how you would attempt to put it into action rather than pearl clutching at people celebrating Ukrainian victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

In the song 'I am Russian' it says "I am Russian, to spite the whole world". They have been told for decades the the west is the enemy so they exist in spite of us. Now it's Ukraine's turn to exist in spite of Russia. ja ruski song - Google Search

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I remember that red fox skit.... it floored me

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

“My only thoughts are that the Russians still holidaying all over Europe are somehow even more obnoxious, entitled and rude than they used to be”

Which is exactly why I did my research and will take my holidays later this year in a place that is a little too far for them to travel, and given the freefall of the rubble, about 3 times more expensive for them than pre war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

And if Russia was a normal democratic law abiding state, then I'm 100% sure that would be the case. But its not, is it? Russia is a mafia terrorist state ruled by a mafia dictator, so the normal rules don't apply. Its one where the slightest disagreement or protest will bring the wrath of Putin down on you and yours. Putin believes in making examples of people who try to change his system, and such examples usually end in the graveyard.

Yes its horrible, there's no words to describe it really, but I don't believe that wishing the same thing on a Russian family would be the right thing either. I've see up close and personal what bombs and bullets do to people, and I wouldn't wish it on any one.

The BBC production Trauma Zone gives a very good break down of what happened to give us the present day Russsia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not suggesting the suffering Russians endured in the 90s wasn't self-inflicted. I'm arguing that the memories of hunger and unrest in the collapse of a nation have to be relatively fresh in the social conscious in Russia. While the narrative Putin has put forth for decades claiming credit for "getting things back on track" would still have some support among the citizenry, my point was that the memory of how bad things can get when a country implodes may be a bigger factor in Russian hesitance to revolt.

Basically, they have a lot to fear if their protests fail (beatings, imprisonment etc.) but they may also be afraid of what happens if they succeed: another collapse of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Ordinary Russian people be it in Russia or abroad are currently completely irrelevant to this conflict . They have absolutely no cohesive influence on affairs. It is a waste of time discussing revolution or uprising until something actually concrete materialises. Those videos that appear of street interviews in Russia ,while they may be useful for insight into Russian thinking, they are a complete waste of time and you won’t get that time back and once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. Pages have been wasted on this thread discussing possible revolt among the Russian people. It’s not happening. They are irrelevant to this conflict. It’s jarring for us with a western mindset to grasp that but it is the crushing reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

First couple of lines there I thought I was in a Spice Girls thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

**** happens when you can't treat half a continent as your economic satellites. The Soviet \ Warsaw Pact system was designed for Russia's economic benefit.

Like colonies, these conquered regions contributed significantly to Russia’s economic wealth and defense.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUS278437244120140318

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement