Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I found it good too. A bit over-dramatic at times but a very good presentation of the story, and I liked the touch on the opening of each episode.

Haven't watched Dopesick - started it tonight, one episode in and I like the matter-of-factly tone if has, really suits the story ( btw Dopesick is on Disney+).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The reason was they got all 3 seasons in the US and when they were successful Netflix decided to make a season 4.

But over here think Amazon or someone else had the streaming rights so we only got the Netflix made season 4 with none of the others. And then they only added season 1 here recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Tried watching a few episodes of the new season of Titans, time I will not get back, annoying since I was happy enough previously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man this thread has become so ... empty? Since peteeed's daily copy and pastes stopped.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I check JustWatch every day and I can't remember the last time I saw something added that I'd actually recommend.

That said, I haven't seen it yet, but the 2 series of Starstruck were added last week. Heard very good things about it when it was on BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Wiki says that In June 2022, the series was renewed for a third season... I take it that didn't happen.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Watched The Pez Outlaw over the weekend. 1 hour documentary and it's excellent. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I went to watch that as well. Clicked on it, started playing and it had started on S4 instead of S1. Not gonna bother with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Painkiller is a limited series about the Oxy epidemic in the states. Binged 4 out of the 6 tonight. It’s quite addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s not on Netflix at the moment, but can strongly recommend the documentary All The Beauty and the Bloodshed enough for a very personal, intimate look at the Oxy crisis in the US. It follows the artist Nan Goldin as she and other campaigners go to museums across the world to protest against Sackler money. A really powerful and suitably politically charged look at radical art and protest.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

As usual Untold's latest episode "Hall Of Shame" is excellent. Some good interviews and other details of Conte's steroid setup I hadnt seen anywhere else. Available today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Maestro - the highs and lows of Leonard Bernstein and Felicia Montealegre Cohn Bernstein. Has a theatrical run in late Nov, before reaching the platform on 20/12.

This one has big Oscar hype, although completely unseen as of yet, I think. Looking forward to the discourse around Mulligan playing a Latina, I'm sure the internet will have lots of thoughtful points to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cooper being Catholic playing Bernstein has already been called ethnic cosplay on the internet.

Maybe the double outrage will cancel each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Shouldn't watch but probably will.

Out tomorrow.

#mydogsteppedonabee

#megapint

Edit: Looks like only available in the US

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mobius2021

Absolutely agree with all that, Dopesick seems better to me. Have watched both to completion - Dopesick is more gritty (with the exception of the Painkiller openings) and seems (stressing seems) more believable and close to the bone than Painkiller. Painkiller does go a bit over dramatic - particularly with how it portrays the sales people - although maybe it was that crazy.

Both are worth a watch though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That new, animated Scott Pilgrim adaptation - the one that confusingly has the same cast as the live-action version - just got trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

No Beck for the soundtrack this time, I'm guessing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tbh the Beck tracks were good but not necessarily a great fit for a scrappy garage band in their early days. Doesn't help that the finished film only included part of the best sonh Beck wrote for the band, the knock-off-Pixies-tastic "No Fun", which the band are playing when Scott arrives at the Chaos Club.

I really like the comics and the film adaptation, and find myself confused, more than anything, by this new version. Yes, the fill cast were IMO very good, but so much so that they should be brought back for another adaptation almost 15 years later? Hmm.

Looks like Netflix are heading into Streaming Games now: was already something that I doubt many Netflix subscribers even knew they had access to, but streaming directly from any device would at least put the games in more people's hands. I don't think the majority of the titles available would remotely tax people's bandwidth (compared with stuff like STeam Link, or Google Stadia fadó)

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/testing-games-on-more-devices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Georgetown is first-rate, with an amazing cast.

Vanessa Redgrave was playing Shakespeare opposite Laurence Olivier over 60 years ago but she still has the vigour to match Cristoph Waltz, probably the finest European actor in Hollywood and he also directs this film. Annette Benning is wonderful as the daughter bent on justice for her mother.

I love these true story movies where the story is so bizarre that no scriptwriter would dare invent the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

how an unreleased and unseen movie have awards hype? I suppose it just shows that the whole awards thing is stupid.

Her father was a white American and I believe Felicia didn’t look Latino at all but open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I believe the Bernstein family are involved in the film or have at least given it approval of some kind.

So if they are okay with it then those claiming cosplay is criticism of them which is anti-Semitic.

i think. Is it?

Yes the whole awards thing is stupid. Occasionally something surprising gets in the mix but generally speaking the Oscars, and other big awards, can be predicted based on the release dates alone. Studios know what they're backing before they're even filmed. Traditionally September to December is Oscar season. If you're in there, you're gunning for Oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just finished Kalifat (Caliphate), a Swedish series about young girls being radicalized and travelling to Islamic State from Sweden coupled with a plot by ISIS to terrorise Sweden and Sapo trying to stop them. I think its fairly old, but a good watch all in all.

• Advertisement

The Bernstein children released a statement basically denouncing the "jewface" stuff as being a load of disingenuous nonsense & people should get over it - their dad had a big schnozz, it's OK. I'm sure those who just wanna be angry about something will choose to dismiss or ignore the children's sentiments tho'.

Advertisement