Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC no longer cutting grass verges, reasoning…..biodiversity.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The local council here introduced a grass verge on one of the roads and let it grow wild. It looked ok for a while, and then just turned to pure ****. They ended up just having to mow it.

this is standard practice with maintaining a meadow; let it die back, set seed, then chop and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yea, but it only looks like it is in the picture for a little while. Then it just turns into a total mess. Full of rubbish and nettles, thistles etc.

But that's what the environmentalists want. Nettles in your home garden no less. And don't call them weeds because that's insulting. It's the utterly untainted look they're looking for.

"Putting it all together many might argue that its quite an insult to to label the wildflowers that are growing all round us as weeds."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

awec with respect, you live in Northern Ireland — where I'm almost certain they did it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

From a practical point of view, I wonder how long until there's an outcry due to the councils having to use herbicide to kill off all the self seeded 'wildflowers' that will inevitably seed in the cracks between the tarmac and the kerb. But sure, we got nice verges, doesn't matter if the tarmac starts breaking up due the rooting of weeds we'll be told.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I haven't lived in NI for 15 years!

I'm not totally against these things, but they need to be maintained. Letting it go wild just means it inevitably turns to ****.

You're lucky then — they've been "encouraging biodiversity" up here for decades by doing feck all maintenance.

Wyattville Road in DLRCC was always a good model for me in terms of how to do this right — you'd get a lovely sequence of wildflowers ranging from spring daffodils to red poppies and then a mix later on. In the summer it was mostly wild grasses, and then it gets fully cut down in late summer. So you get to encourage biodiversity and it doesn't ever get too out of control.

Yeah but that's not how it should work. It's not about "leaving things wild" entirely, it's about seasonal mowing, trying to not over-mow, and avoiding doing it at all during Spring snd Summer.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

We did that a few yrs ago (out of laziness) we have a very mossy garden...anyway we ended up with beeorchids . The following year we ended up with more bee orchids and pyramid orchids. Last year we had been orchids, pyramid orchids,marsh orchids and spotted orchids.

We always have an abundance of clover, red clover and self heal.

Anyway roll on this year, himself cut the grass end of April/start of May I thought we'd be safe enough, but sadly no, not an orchid to be seen.

I'll be making sure the grass gets a good final cut in September so it'll hold.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly a weed is simply a plant growing where it shouldn't. Rhododendron is a huge problem in the Connemara National Park. Allowing native plants to grow in a grass verge means that the stop being weeds.

Secondly, nettles are one of our most important native plants supporting many species of insects including various butterflies and moths. But presumably you know all of this, given how much of an expert you appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I grew up rural, as a very young child wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt I fell in to large bunch of nettles outside the front gate. I was stung from head to toe. I'm biased against nettles.

What I don't buy is that we need exactly these kind of bugs that go with exactly that kind of plant. I know the county is awash with nettles. I never claimed to be an expert. Call me 'questioning'.

edit:typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some people prefer a uniform or tidy look, and a uniform look is usually a monoculture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surely "digging out the undesirable crap" is the antithesis of what they are trying to do? There is only so much maintaining you can actually do or you aren't really having a wild meadow. There is also the question of aesthetics and what people think looks ok, which will vary somewhat wildly. Doing it properly entails certain small periods where frankly it won't look that great.

I would agree on the littering though, clearing that should be maintained. Unfortunately some people view a meadow as unkempt land that can be littered on.

The likes of nettles and thistles should not be allowed to grow unchecked along public pathways or roads . Even worse is the giant hogweed which is becoming ever more prevalent.

Whatever about this supposed "biodiversity", common sense still needs to apply.

nettles are main - or only - food plant of the caterpillars of tortoiseshell, peacock, and red admiral butterflies. i think i saw that this year has been a bumper year for red admirals, so it's quite possible that the move to not mow verges may be in play there.

giant hogweed is a controlled plant, and something the council try to keep on top of. there's no suggestion that there's a policy decision to allow it to grow unchecked.

i know someone working for the parks dept in DCC and she has giant hogweed within her area of responsibility (it's in the tolka valley between finglas and glasnevin) - we had a slightly comical situation where my wife ordered some horse food supplement from a agri supply place and they send out 5l of concentrated gallup (i.e. glyphosate) by accident instead - and we never use herbicide in our garden.

i was telling the lady above this, to ask where i could get rid of the stuff, and she happily agreed to take it because she has a good use for it. they stem inject the hogweed rather than spraying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

That's exactly how it work, specific plants for specific insects and animals. The rarer the plant the rarer the dependant species.

On another point, the sort of meadows which people find so attractive are full of anuals and to maintain that sort of meadow requires constantly stripping the topsoil to create maximum disturbance. It's very expensive and labour intensive and only really appropriate where disturbed ground is been rehabilitated.

The long term management of meadows requires either grazing or hay cutting. It can take centuries to achieve peak species diversity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

Giant hogweed and Japanese knotweed are invasive foreign species, they destroy biodiversity and councils are well aware of the need to control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Excuse the source but it seems Glasgow aren’t doing it for biodiversity, just to save money.

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/11166205/mum-grass-row-council-children-hayfever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lawnmower owning boomer nightmare. Omg it's soooooo overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭techman1

Even the trinity "wildflower meadow " is a complete mess now and they actually ripped up the lawn and put down wildflower sod to try and achieve it. It wasn't just a case of letting the grass grow long. The vigorous weeds like thistles and docks have established themselves and anyone knows these are very difficult to get out with the big tap roots.

It's ridiculous looking right in the middle of prime city real estate. With the dead grass seed heads falling over onto the statue plinths. Why is everyone else not doing it. I don't see "wildflower meadows " in front of the white house or Westminster or even the rheistag . It's just ridiculous virtue signalling rather than true restoring wildernesses. Afterall the government is toying with the idea of relaxing rules for one off housing even after the proliferation of these during the boom and still it is a substantial percentage of new houses

Re trinity. This is from someone who works there and knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Nope, its not the hedgerow that is growing out. Its a verge that is grass and brambles literally 2 foot of grass and thorns then there is a drop of a ditch then the hedgerow. They are allowed to cut the verge. Get off your high horse and understand that there is a safety issue here not just biodiversity.

Yep that verge is fine, this is country type road (but still well used) and it used to be cut but now not, to the point its dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Just back from a walk around Clonskeagh Goatstown area and it's a sorry site with all the weeds left to grow wild and general lack of care on footpaths etc...

Firstly your answer aligns with your sig "Langley, Virginia. 6410". Keep the cliches up. Secondly the brambles etc also affect cars as they now are closer to the middle of the road making for some very dangerous situations as cars pass by each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement