Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

just back from a camping trip in wexford. Friday night wind was interesting! Several tent poles bent or snapped but we survived and had a great weekend. It was genuinely quite warm on the beach today and yesterday. Was swimming in the sea two weekends in a row now. In the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

The dreariness really got to me today, absolutely wrecks havoc on my physical and mental health. I ended up asleep on the couch for a few hours. The hot weather earlier in the summer had me feeling great.

Can anyone here explain why most of our mornings start off sunny with blue skies then in the space of an hour or so it just turns overcast and grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Some serious downpours now in Lucan. At least the wind has died down, and it was dry until evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think overall this weekend turned out better then expected in NCD.

Yes heavy showers both days( we have just had a torrential one now) but also plenty of sunshine and not cold at all.

Very windy all weekend though since Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Reading the text forecast over the last couple of days. It had a low chance of patchy rain and drizzle for the SE on Sunday night, then patchy rain and drizzle and now for tonight - Showery outbreaks of rain, heavy at times will affect parts of the south and southeast tonight. It just kept upgrading.

Most of Wales and parts of N england are under a warning from midnight. Mentions some uncertainty in the track. Widely 20-40mm in the warning area but up to 80mm is possible in NW Wales and NW England. Dodging the worst of it but Wexford especially could see some high totals, perhaps a rain warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Really great day in South Wicklow today, best in a long while. Started great, got cloudy for about 2 hours with a single light shower, and then was mostly warm in sunny spells for the rest of the day. Got a load of long overdue garden work done today, the difference even a single good day makes is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Isn't it a sad state of affairs that in mid August, describing a day as being "really great" when conditions involve a couple of hours of cloudiness, a rain shower with sunny spells (mix of sun and cloud) and mostly warm (and likely sometimes cool as a result as there was no chance of it being hot anywhere in Ireland today) can actually be considered to be really good in mid August!

I was at the Tullamore Show today. Weather was rather shite for the time of year. Mainly cloudy, some sunny spells in the afternoon. Breezy with several showers. Had a t-shirt, jumper and winter jacket on. Got to remove my winter jacket during the sunny spell in the afternoon when we sat out on the grass near the bar area but the umbrella had to go up for a bit when yet another shower passed over.

Yes, the weather was an improvement on the previous day but that day was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Mostly a rubbish afternoon with heat and showers. However a beautiful sunset tonight.

14⁰ Meath

Rotten morn in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Looks like this week will actually be quite ok in Cork, but yet AGAIN next weekend is looking like a washout. That makes it 6 or 7 in a row now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A lovely morning for a walk around Castletown House. Dry and bright, light breeze. But it is noticeably much cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

not great but not bad either after what we’ve suffered, low quite far west and not very deep so a wash out next weekend unlikely in my opinion.

Anyhow St Swithin’s forty days are running out so a pattern change very likely in the second half of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This time last year we were in an orange warning for thunderstorms marking the end of the heatwave for the west but stayed hot in the east for another day ,it also knocked my power out for an hour in carrick on shannon , i want the heat back and we only have 4 weeks of pleasantly warm weather before the sun loses its strength 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

After showers this morning its a fantastic afternoon/evening 😊 I missed the sun too much

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

So weather better than forecast in Firhouse D24.

Sunday turned out beautiful, real heat in the sun.

Saturday was more hit than miss but some lovely sunny spells also.

What's REALLY frustrating is forecasts for rainy weekends (like the 5th or 6th one in a row coming to up) so you can't plan ANYTHING outdoors.

I'm not bashing forecasts but I'm so fed up with so called rainy weekends turning out better than expected but we couldn't plan anything outside!!!!! Grrr....

And please no replies about "making the most of it" etc. we have done so it's just maddening the bloody summer weather here.

Ok rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Last night in Portugal. Dreading returning home. I see RTE are already giving advance notice of a washout weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Heading there in the morning. Its not too bad at home. Not cold and not raining as much as it has been previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One problem I notice is the system met eireann and others have of representing a day's weather with a single icon. I suspect the system is bought off the shelf from other countries. I say this as the system seems to be to show a rain icon (not even a rain / sun icon) if it will probably rain AT ANY STAGE during the day. So if the hour by hour forecast for, say, Dublin tomorrow shows rain (or even a 50% chance of rain) for an hour at 6pm, the icon used in the 5 day overview for that whole day will be a rain cloud. That's all very well in countries where rain is a twice a month phenomenon, in a country where there is a 50% chance of rain on most days, its not such a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Lovely afternoon and evening though, certainly here in West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Today was a great day in North Kildare. Next couple of days should be decent with a high pressure system dominating.

Enjoy it while you can -

Met Office are forcasting a low pressure system by Friday and yet another washout weekend. I kid you not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

They used to use the rainfall and cloud predictor to show the weather the next day on the RTÉ weather. The symbols are useless and totally outdated. Radar didn’t work for Connacht yesterday at all hardly - plenty of showers none of which were picked up on the radar. My clothesline of washing was the victim🙂. Met Eireann weather app developed to tell local weather showed sun for the day despite frequent showers all day. It’s taking ages for this Shannon radar to be updated and even at that it’s not enough coverage for the west and north west. Summer is when children are off from school and the weather forecast is important, even for tourists, campers, sporting events - yet this is when they decided to shut the radar. The forecasting has been very poor for Connacht this summer. Rant over 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

It stopped raining yesterday afternoon. Yay. It started again last night. Boo.

Caught in a heavy shower this morning first thing. 12C. Cloudy. Leitrim.

Turned out a lovely evening alright. Grey and overcast now though but hopefully it'll stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Grey overcast day like Groundhog Day feels like the grey skies have been ongoing for months now.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like the Azore high might extend in over us next week settling things down again for at least a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We would often start off with cloudy sky like this in the past....but the sun would usually start to burn it away by about 12 oclock onwards...this does not seem to happen these days its actually the opposite it clears up when the heat is gone from the sun at around 8 at night when the day is over 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's just so oppressively grey, all the time. and oh look now it's belting down with rain.

i think yesterday wasn't the worst but was mostly really cloudy in my part of dublin, the bar is just so low now for weather and it's sad to think we have to look forward to next year for summer weather already, in the middle of f**king august when it's peaking everywhere else in the northern hemisphere :( :( :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately we just have to chalk this summer up as an absolute trainwreck once we got into the final week of June. We've had a few nice days here and there since but we were kinda due a bad summer. We usually get a bad summer every 3 to 4 years and we had 2 very good summers previous to this with the last awful summer being 2020.

Things were looking hopeful up to a few days ago that we would see a serious improvement starting from today leading to a book ended summer but sadly that also fell off the table. Based on the fact that this summer has been so poor and we have a long, long autumn ahead of us I have decided to try and get my summer in September so I'm going to Spain for 10 days in the second half of the month, that should help somewhat in shortening what is going to be a very long autumn, considering it felt like we stepped into autumn almost 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thinking of going to a festival here in Ireland mid Sept, surely it can't still be pissing rain every day by then, but I wont be surprised if it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

After a poor start things have improved. Some sunshine and temps up to 17C. Best day so far for about 7 weeks. (That's how low the bar is)

Leitrim

Advertisement