Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

He is in contract for radio.

Don't believe any tabloid crap that says once he stopped TV his entire contract was over. Even a first year law student would laugh at such stupidity.

I'd be surprised if newstalk have not had a chat. It would be a coup and he'd be perfect for the 12-2 slot to replace the moany yoke that's there currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think they were trying to suggest that since the contract was for 5 years and included TV, the contract would have to be renegotiated, however as he was still working for them as contract negotiations were going on I suspect RTÉ haven't a leg to stand on.

It anything he'd replace Moncreiff, I can't see Bauer coming calling TBH. And RTÉ should let him move.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And BTW, he doesn't get hundreds if thousands of listeners tuning in to listen to his radio show.

There's hundreds of thousands of listeners who get up for work or for the day, switch on Morning Ireland and don't switch it off again for the rest of the day.

They don't specifically tune in for his dirge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The late late is a habit for people that they have tuned into over many years. They are almost institutionalised into viewing it.

The Tubridy era has been particularly depressing. His interviewing style is rigid and morbid. Not what I would call light entertainment at all.

And having spoken to many of them they've slowly being turning off over the last number of years.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Even my parents who had watched the Late Late possibly since inception, gave up on Tubridy after about 6 weeks. For some people the LLS was simply the Friday night habit. Particularly if you were past the going out on Friday night stage.

• It was Saturday night some of the years. I remember Gaybo in black & white on a small screen since I was extremely young. I never slept as a baby, always on the alert, so they thought they’d keep me down in a dimmed room with earliest LLS on ancient cathode ray TV . I quickly became addicted to LLS, loved to see the adults fighting and typically giggled through the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

That whole statement is very general. I do not know one single Irish person that would consider themselves and Tubs having a great bond. Definitely not any children. His target audience is a lot older, so it would be very odd if a lot of children were tuning into him in the morning or staying up late to watch him talk to Dermot Bannon. He has no pull factor.

Maybe you would like to link to youtube a couple of his highlight reels or even an odd video with what you would consider one or two of his best bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think ye’re showing the effects of being in an echo chamber. Obviously Ryan is popular, literally hundreds of thousands of people watch and listen to him. Renault paid big money to get their products associated with him in the public mind.

And it’s obvious why. Gentlemanly demeanour, good manners, genuine interest in people, lack of ego, he’s a fantastic broadcaster.

I understand some of you people don’t like Ryan, some of you seem strangely angry towards him and maybe that’s why ye write abuse online about him, but I don’t know how ye can genuinely say he’s not popular.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he is probably the most beloved Irish public figure in the first quarter of this century.

Please take it easy guys, no one wins when ye write abuse about Ryan online. It’s not nice at it reflects more on ye than on Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

‘I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he is probably the most beloved Irish public figure in the first quarter of this century.’

0.0001/ 10.

I don’t think you heart is in this anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Name another one so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm guessing it will go the same way as water charges went. Some people will pay, a huge number won't and for reasons of principle. Some people would rather go to jail than pay. They probably view RTE as a deeply incompetent organisation, full of nepotism, with serious governance issues and who routinely give two fingers to oireachtas committees and the licence payers.

I'm guessing the days of people going to prison for non payment are over, the licence fee is numbered and when RTE run out of money they will go begging to the same politicians they treated with distain for years.

About 40% will just ignore all communications related to the licence fee from now on. RTE don't listen to us, so why should we listen to them?

I would be shocked if that report is ever published, or published unredacted. These reports are commissioned to delay and waste time, not to be published.

I believe he started as a runner on the Gerry Ryan show, which essentially was making the tea for the talent.

That role was about right for his "natural home".

His contract was for 205 radio shows and 38 live two-hour TV shows [specifically TLLS]. I think the dispute arose really when he stepped down from TLLS and broke the contract there. RTE have stated on more than one occasion that his contract with them had ended, but they were referring to the TV part. They then went on to say in a letter to NKM that they were negotiating the radio part of his contract, but that had then been suspended. At that time, according to rte, Tubs contract for both TV and radio had finished in May, although they were still paying him for the radio part. Kelly and Tubs disputed [stated that they did not accept it] that and were to seek legal advice. But it is moot in that Bakhurst has been back negotiating with Tubs anyway. The radio contract was to be renegotiated with rte now very much in the driving seat. But Bakhurst seemingly meek or in bed with the problem in rte does not seem to have used that advantage. Tubs is already getting paid again, which allows us to assume talks are no longer suspended, yet we have not been told what changes have been made if any. It was expected before the scandal broke and he stepped down from TLLS that he would lose half of his pay, placing his salary around the €220,000 per year mark. Again, that was before the scandal broke and before negotiations. So realistically we should be expecting him to be on a lot less than that when the actual figures are eventually published.

This was in November https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/ryan-tubridy-being-switched-rte-28452410

"the most notable drop was RTE Radio 1, which saw Ryan Tubridy take a dramatic hit to his morning radio show, losing 25,000 listeners."

You honestly think Newstalk would pay his big salary and entourage of 6 researchers and 3 producers, and thats for a 53 minute show? He'd need 10 researchers and 5 producers for a 2 hour show! Its not gonna happen.

If Pat Kenny is the Premiet League of current affairs broadcasting, Tubridy is lower League 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anyone believing KB is going to let RT go is a fool, KB has already said they are good friends - no way he is going to tell him f**K off, we don't need you anymore

This is RTE - they don't care what the licence payer thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The contract was for Tubridy to present the LLS and his radio show and be paid a specified amount per year of the contract. When Tubridy broke the contract by stopping presenting the LLS, a new contract covering the radio show only and a reduced fee had to be negotiated and these negotiations were paused as the scandal broke.

Newstalk is under new ownership (Bauer) and may not be interested in paying RTE style fees to Tubridy as it is focused on gaining advertising and listeners.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The PAC wants to see it and it probably will end up being published in part or in full.

Regards...jmcc

I think RTÉ is a bit of an echo chamber. You could argue that Renault lost money on their association with TLLS (I think other have argue that).

I think again you've misinterpret people's anger at RTÉ with their disappointment at RT. Your in some way purposely forgetting all of the other many problems at RTÉ and think that most of the posters here have disregarded all of those issues and are purely focused on RT, when clearly RT is only part of this larger scandal.

I think it reflects more on you, that you cannot see that many here are nuanced enough with their approach to this scandal and have clearly on several occasions outlined the problems that exist in RTÉ as a whole, and that those problems happen to be highlighted through Mr. Tubriby's payments and the use of the barter account for those payments, along with the unrelenting halo effect that has been placed on Tubridy as a bastion for public service media, while forgetting about all the other aspects of PSM/PSB that are required.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

northknife threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

He started earlier than that. (Even at 16 years old, the 3 minutes he was on in this clip, taxed my patience. Also...books? Even in 89, lots of kids had Gameboys or NES's).

I found the RTE report interesting, where Sandra Hurley states 'his future at RTE remains in doubt'.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0814/1399733-gt-report/

Whilst Bakhurst and Tubridy are friends, he's an employer, and does KB really wish to anger the other employees who protested out the front of the RTE building? Is one man's overpaid 'career' worth more than 200 staff who have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into the investigative journalism that, despite all deserved criticisms of RTE, was often the one service that earned genuine praise.

IF RTE loses that, it's credibility will be further damaged. And if journalists leave and go to other outlets, be it print or online, or to other organizations. It's going to be a genuine loss to journalism.

Ivan Yates was asked his opinion

“It’s not like Claire Byrne and current affairs where you actually need an authoritative anchor.

“You know literally anyone from Oliver Callan to anybody can do it – it is talking sh*te for an hour.

“Ryan has his hardcore supporters and fans and that’s fine. I don’t wish him ill but I just don’t see a queue of foreign broadcasters lining up to hire him so I think he probably needs RTE more than RTE needs him at this stage."

He continued: “I think the bigger picture is how are they going to survive and I can see 500 redundancies coming down the track.

and

Ivan opened up about the RTE pay scandal, and outlined what they should do going forward.

“I think the public are missing the point here. With each passing week, the whole debate about Ryan Tubridy is deck chairs on the Titanic. It is now facing a cash shortfall of €50M.

“I believe RTE is now technically insolvent. They have borrowings of €95M. This was before the erosion of the licence, which is now adding to the problem but about €1.5M-€2M a month and getting worse because they get about €190M from the TV license.

“So you can see what they’re going to lose, we’ll just say €2M a month of non-payment of that, which would be difficult to enforce – that’s another E20M plus on top of a predicted loss of €30M so it is quite clear to me that they are assuming they would get a State bailout.

The erosion of the TV licence is mostly over Tubridy, so that would definitely need to be addressed, but it will be interesting to see what happens between now and christmas. Will Bakhurst continue changing nothing and go begging for more money? The government will have to make a decision at some point and it should be about rte wasting money, not about how to force the public to pay the licence. That can be discussed later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

so it is quite clear to me that they are assuming they would get a State bailout.

Yes and to most other observers. And that renders all the speculation about how much money they are losing moot, because however much it is the government and hence the taxpayer will ultimately pick up the tab.

Just shows how desperate the papers are for a 'fresh' angle on this story, that Yates's rundown of the bleeding obvious gets a front page splash (on The Star AFAIK)

I think if RTÉ can resolve the Tubs issue I think the public will still be annoyed the over spending by RTÉ.

For example RTÉ continual argument that they have no funds when someone suggests a quiz show, "we'd need a sponsor" and when we lost the Eurovision "its cost effective to be on TLLS because we have no money!". To simple areas.

This is why I believe that RTÉ will need to be split up, and that the board will have to step down and that the "Leadership" team will also have to go.

RTÉ IMO is largely dead as an organisation, unless the issues of governance, programme production and improvement of services to the public can be addressed.

Either way RTÉ will require radical reform, that must be tangible to the public.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The Tubs payments are just the skin on the pudding. The real good stuff is underneath.

I'd say those barter accounts are only a tiny fraction of the mismanagement of money in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

My 500 Grand is on the redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

The license fee issue is snowballing now. When people see others aren't paying they won't pay it either. Non-payment will just accelerate later this year making it impossible to pursue those in arrears. A massive bailout (and wholesale restructuring) is on the cards. Who would pay a license fee when you know you'll have to pay it again in taxes? 

Tubridy is a sideshow at this stage. It's simply unthinkable that RTE would retain Tubridy when it's inevitable that hundreds will be made redundant because of RTE's mismanagement of its commercial affairs. 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yates is on the money. The 1 hour slot could be done by anyone and probably much better.

Bakhurst is probably have loads of meetings but he hasn't the backbone to implement significant corrective actions. I think the government will step in when the money runs out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

it's inevitable that hundreds will be made redundant because of RTE's mismanagement of its commercial affairs. 

Is it? I don't see that the government has any appetite for that. IMO they'll just give them whatever money they need to keep the current show on the road and avoid any necessity for mass redundancies, significant pay cuts and the like unpleasantness...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement