Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Bravia KD32W800P1U 32" TV

Options
  • 12-08-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Bought one of these recently. it has a Freeview tuner, I also have a external Freesat box. I have my (rabbits ears) Antenna plugged into the TV socket and the Freesat box into the TV HDMI1 socket, the Satellite cable is plugged into the Freesat box. The TV inputs are FReeview Live TV, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3 and Android TV Home. Works fine as set up, I just select HDM1 for my Freesat stations and select Freeview Live TV which gives me the usual Irish channels + Skynews.

Query is: If I connect the Satellite cable into the TV port (with the antenna remaining in the TV socket and I change the TV tuner from antenna to satellite and do a scan on the usual Astra2 28.2E, to get all the free to air channels, will I lose all the Irish channels that I had via the antenna tuning (of the Freeview TV tuner) and only have some or none of the Irish channels that may be on the Astra channel? In other words can I have both the Satellite channels and the antenna channels available together without using a external box,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭goldiefresh

Yes you can run them both together. That's the point of those it saves any boxes needed. Just change from satellite to aerial on bottom menu after installing satellite channels. Depending on software some of those Sony's iv installed came with Freesat built in. Which would put your channels in Freesat numerical order. It will mention Freesat in the installation menu when setting up if it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭John.G

Does this mean it has two tuners?

Yes dual tuners built in so you don't lose anything installing both.

Thanks.

So, what does this mean?. (from the spec)

"NUMBER OF TUNERS (TERRESTRIAL/CABLE)

1(Digital/Analog)"

(The Model Label on the back of the TV states KD-32W800)

If it had 2 tuners digital/cable you could watch one channel and record another on a different mux.

• Advertisement

I must try again, because even though I can do a Satellite scan (bags of channrls) and a antenna scan, Irish channels then I will only get one or the other as all I can select is Freeview live.

If you press ok while watching a channel You have to select between antenna and satellite above the list of channels that appear across bottom of TV. They won't appear in the same list you have to swap between them.

Still no joy after a factory reset, here are the specs.

Built-in Tuner

NUMBER OF TUNERS (TERRESTRIAL/CABLE)

1(Digital/Analog)

NUMBER OF TUNERS (SAT)

TV SYSTEM (ANALOG)

B/G,D/K,L

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (ANALOG)

45.25MHz-863.25MHz(Depend on country/area selection)

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL)

DVB-T/T2

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL)

VHF/UHF(Depend on country selection)

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL CABLE)

DVB-C

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL CABLE)

VHF/UHF/cable, Depend on country selection

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL SAT)

DVB-S/S2

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL SAT)

Intermediate Frequency 950-2150MHz

CI+

Yes

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Unfortunately, the 32W800 has a somewhat different user interface than most other Sony's like the X8 series.

It's been a while since I used one now, but I think you have to go thru Menu and somewhere in the install/channels menu to hop between terrestrial and satellite. I must take a look at one again soon and refresh my memory!

Yes your right I remember setting one up now and thinking it was a stupid setup (15 years installing tvs) it is something like settings and channel settings and change it from there

• Advertisement

The 3 choices I have (or can see) are antenna, cabel and satellite, no problem with scanning in either antenna or satellite mode but as it appears to be the same tuner then not surprising that the latest scan has the current channels, i set up a KDL32W5810 years ago for someone and it quite plainly showed how to tune one scanner to the antenna and the other scanner to the satellite and actually gave a choice of freeview or freesat on the satellite tuner as far as I can remember, it certainly gave me saorview and freesat after installation anyway.

Have "talked" to Sony and been on the UK Sony Community site and it seems that even though I have 2 tuners, I just can't have Saorview & Freeview together from the TV, as I said, no big deal for me as I have a Freesat Box and I have saorview from the TV Antenna. One odd (to me) thing is that if I have done a satellite scan I get the hundreds of freeview or free to air, not sure which, if I then. a few days later, do a satellite update it may add 4 or 5 channels but when I view the satellite channels I only get the few updated ones that I have just scanned, I would have thought that I would get the allready saved channels + the extra few, the original ones do seem to be there because if I go to satellite scan it warns me that I will lose all the allready saved channels.

Anyway, just a word of caution to anyone buying one of these TVs who hasn't got either a Saorview or a Freesat (or free to air) box then you may have to buy one or the other to view both, one via the TV, the other via the HTMI port and box.

Success at last. Reread the above posts again.

After scanning with both Satellite and Antenna you then go to, Settings, then Channel, then Channel Installation Mode, you then just select from the three choices of; Antenna, Cable or Satellite, whichever source you require, in my case either Antenna (for Saorview) or Satellite (for Free to Air).....then press Exit.

Advertisement